Club Palm Bay Hotel
Mario Hotel(Marawila)
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
1,070 results
All reviewsday tripsri lankatwo weeksslimline tourscurriespool bargreat holidaylagoon viewhotel gatestuk tukpool stafftable tennisplenty of sunbedsmain restaurantrestaurant staffhuge poolanimation team
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 2week break at Club Palm Bay. Although this time of the year is the off season in Sri Lanka, due to the monsoon, we found the lack of customers to be a bonus on our part as all we required was a relaxing break.
We travelled with Mercury, as with our previous holiday here, so we knew the score as regards what is available around the hotel.
The hotel is a stones throw from the Indian Ocean, and if the Sri Lankan government don't succeed with their flood defences, the reception will soon be on the beach.. We noticed since we were here 4 years ago that they have lost about 20-30 mtrs of beach to the Ocean.
Plans are underway to refurbish the pool which is badly needed. A new pool is under construction in the new complex to the north of the present site.
We had reports of scare mongering by the local holiday rep's, trying to dissuade people from using outside tour guides.. We have previously used both guides outside the hotel and find Slimline to be very good. You can not only get the trips cheaper than the rep's but can also tailor the trips to your own requirement. Remember... The reps are salesmen.. The tour guides are licensed and know what things are going on in the relevant areas of the country. So go straight to the guide.
E.G. We wanted to go to pinawala elephant orphanage. We were told, by visitors who had been the week before, that the elephants were not being taken to the river to bathe as the rivers were high. This was a highlight of our last trip. The guide made enquiries and found that the elephants were going down ,but later in the day.. Guides1 Reps 0
The money exchange in the hotel is not the best rate you will find, but it costs 700rs (about £3-4) to get to the nearest town and bank. So you pays your money you takes your choice.. Tuk tuk drivers are alway available outside the hotel and are always very helpful and polite.
The hotel and the grounds around are always of the highest standard and most of the chalets have been upgraded since our last visit.. The only down is the size of the TV in the room.. We also can recommend the food it is not to all tastes, but we found it to be of a good standard. We also took advantage of the local seafood special (King Prawns) and can thoroughly recommend them.. NB this is an extra to the menu and you get charged..
There is laundry service in the hotel and my wife took full advantage of this. We probably came home with a cleaner suitcase than we arrived with.
Although there are some activities for children on the site, these are limited.

Room Tip: When booking ask for a lagoon view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rossidad1
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The service at this hotel is excellent. I seemed to be the only one who had not taken an e-mail device with me, and although they advertised an internet cafe there wasn't one. I was allowed to use their office machines though, but take your ipad or laptop. Wifi only available in the foyer.

The rooms were large and very clean and mine, facing onto the lagoon was lovely. Unfortunately it was close to the water and there were a lot of fishermen from the village on and around the lagoon. This meant that the guards were patrolling regularly and privacy was not good.

The food was really good with lots of choices and the Chef approachable. I was still enjoying it after four weeks. The dining room staff were particularly good.

The swimming pool was wonderful, though access to it could be improved - some steps would be good.

The Tuk Tuks parked at the gate meant that you could get into Marawila at any time, and they would take you on trips to see more of the island if you wanted.

The air conditioning in the rooms was essential as the island is very hot for most of the year.

I went on an overnight trip to Kandy and a boat trip on the lake at Ngumbo, but this hotel is probably not best placed to see a lot of the island. Nevertheless it was a very comfortable and restful place to be.

Room Tip: Avoid room 112 but the rooms overlooking the lagoon are the best.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Golby
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Had the most wonderful 10days here. The staff were friendly and helpful, the pool is beautiful, rooms clean and spacious.... And the FOOD is out of this world! The range of dishes at every meal is enormous, we ate like kings all the time and there is an immense choice of entirely delicious food. I cannot recommend this place more highly!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank HB966
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed as a solo traveler for 3 weeks at the club i May 2013. Staff helpful and cheerful though it does help if you are a good looking female when trying to attract attention in the bar. Exec Chef is a charming and most obliging individual. If you are lucky enough to have a cooking demo - don't miss. Food excellent throughout though I could not see why some people from Eastern Eutope insisted on filling bags with take away food at breakfasr!! Food was served five times a day! Pool was tremendous and I would recommend the River trip and trip to the elephant orphanage - the only two I took. Resort was clean throughout especially the pool and bar areas. Staff most obliging. I will return. Beware some guests seem to go over the top with the free alcohol and become very noisy and, I found, rude to the staff. Despite them you can still swim at times when they are not there- usually 15 minutes before meals until 20minutes after meals finish!!!

Room Tip: My room overlooked the lagoon and was warm in the morning and cool in the afternoon - I loved it. Room 176.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Anthony P
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Checked in the evening reception staff was friendly,room was funtastic and clean,the food was not that up to standard but the staff was in the restuarant was outstanding they were vry helpfull ,recomeded for a family outing

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple