“A dull experience - you could spend your time better elsewhere”
Review of Moonstone Mines

Moonstone Mines
Ranked #14 of 16 things to do in Ambalangoda
Reviewed April 6, 2014

'Visit to the Moonstone mines' - it sounded magical!

It turned out to be a very dull experience followed by a high pressure sales spiel.

The 'mine' was a hole in the ground and a puddle at the bottom with an old guy squatting in the water. Were those shiny wet moonstones between his toes? Really? I wonder who put them there?

I suppose they do really dig up moonstones here, but it is absurd to describe it as a 'mine'. And it is not so much about visiting a moonstone mine as about being persuaded to buy over-priced jewellery.

You can buy the same moonstone jewellery (with certificates of authenticity etc etc) at many other tourist traps on the island, but at a fraction of the price.

I tried to persuade myself that I found something about this visit interesting, because I hate to think that I wasted my time. Well, there was a nice walk through a patch of forest to get there.....

1  Thank TiggerInIndia
"estate"
"minerals"
"production"

Reviewed April 2, 2014

A guide will show you how they mine, polish and set the moonstones. You walk through cinnamon trees to get to the mine. There is a shop where you can buy jewellery and they try very hard to get you to buy something.

2  Thank hulagirlSurrey
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We have visited in Feb 2014 during our family holiday. We have been shown how they mining and working with stones. Working condition were like from middle age. Took short walk thru cinnamon gardens. The shop on the other hand was very well maintained with freezing A/C. We bought some jewellery saphire earings - starting price USD 1000, got discount and paid USD 650. The real value was about USD 250 which we have find out later. When we got back they didnt want to take back the earings and give our money back. Finally we managed to get a plaster one free moonstone pendat for free valued by them for USD 170 but in my guess just aroun USD 90. Just to make sure i have asked for price of one elephat pendat with blue topaz, just bought the same the day before from Galle for USD18, in this shop they asked USD60 for the same thing. So they prices are highly over rated and they just trying to rip off the stupid turist like us. Look but dont buy anything from here, that is my experience.

2  Thank viniva
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I bought a moonstone pendant and necklace at the moonstone mine shop after a very hard sell attempt by the salesman trying to get me to buy other pieces. I was very happy with the appearance off the necklace and was provided with a certificate of authenticity.
The following day I wore the necklace and discovered that there was a green stain on my neck suggesting that it was not silver as described but another metal. I have many silver pieces and have never had this problem before.
I emailed the shop but did not receive any response. I would not recommend anyone to buy jewelry at this shop.

5  Thank Heather100016
See more reviews
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This is something similar to the many spice gardens of Sri Lanka. Walking through a cinnamon garden we come to a hut. Under the hut there is a mine. There is one person in the mine and one outside. The one outside puts on a show or you (cleaning the stones, and going up and down the mine) so we tipped him. He was very happy and even offered us his lunch.
Before we went to the work shop where they 'cut' the stones, the man took us to a hut where he had oil, powder and stick form of cinnamon. We bought a little something so he would be happy seems here is no entrance fee. At the work shop he quickly showed us how they used to cut the stones manually and how they do it now then tried really hard to sell us stones for 2000 Rs, the same size stone my friend bought for 85 Rs a day before. After that he took us to a show room, a jewelry shop where he water to sell cut stones, eating, necklaces and so on.

1  Thank uka86