“Cheap, clean bath, good value, but unhappy with service”
Review of Laoag Renzo Hotel

Laoag Renzo Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Laoag
Singapore
“Cheap, clean bath, good value, but unhappy with service”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here Feb 14-16, reserved my room via email and response was quick. From Laoag International Airport, the free shuttle took us to Renzo. It was near the capitol, museo ilocos, sinking bell tower, supermarket, good restos, and the stop from which to take the jeepney to sarrat. The bathroom was very clean but when we got there the heater wasn't working. Told staff about it the next day and after we got in from a day of touring it was fixed. Bed was okay but there were yellow stains on the sheet on my side of the bed. Our room had no windows which was helpful since we wanted to sleep in both days. Two complementary bottles of water provided. Wifi was available in the morning but in the evening was crawling. No lifts in the hotel, but the three storeys up to our room was good exercise. Walls are very thin, we could hear noisy groups very early in the morning. I have two main complaints: (1) free breakfast was supposed to be at 630-10am. When we got there at 940am there was hardly any food. I asked if they were going to refill it and they said yes. Ater 10 minutes of waiting they hadn't done so and so I asked again, and then they said they weren't refilling the breakfast items e.g. Longganisa, egg anymore, but starting with the lunch items. They said we could get the lunch, but it was just 10am! So we got breakfast somewhere else. The disappointing part is that they did not even apologize. (2) Everytime I asked advice on how to travel around the area, staff would always tell me to hire a trike, which is always so much more expensive. Before leaving, I also asked them how we could get the free shuttle to the airport and they said there was one, one hour before the flight, waiting at the Capitol. We reached the Capitol at 12:35, 1.5 hours before our flight (2pm), and when we asked the traffic officer if we were waiting at the right place, he said that the shuttle was going to arrive only at 3pm. We ended up getting a jeep to the airport. Staff should be more conscious of guests who are on budget.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank butterbeat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Metro Manila, Philippines
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I often travel to Laoag to visit family coming from Manila. Aftter staying at the Renzo Hotel three past times before, I once again checked in last week as I usually do.

The staff are very friendly and always very helpful. My requests are always taken care of with no fuss, and reservations are easy to make via their website/email.

The rooms are always clean and comfortable, and the wifi internet works very well. Since my work requires that I remain in contact and have online access, I like staying at the Renzo because the internet connecttion here is more reliable compared to other places I have stayed at in Ilocos Norte. In fact, the online access seems to work better at the Renzo than it does at places like the Fort Illocandia where the room rates are some 4-5X higher!

The internet is always free, as well as a simple buffet brekfast in the Johnson's Supermarket & Bakery next door.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nick M
Fiji
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This hotel is better compare to other hotels in Laoag. The room is cozy and neat they might just have to adjust the shower's water pressure. Staff are very accommodating and friendly. My friends and I had to go to another town in Ilocos and the hotel was kind enough to store our luggage so we didn't have to travel with it. We got the value for our money. I will definitely come back here and recommend it to anyone who will come to Laoag.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Quezon City
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is hotel is very good compare to other hotels in the area especially if you are on a short trip and attending important matters that need accessibility to the different offices of the municipality.
Normally, when we visit Ilocos as a family, we stay in a bigger hotel near the beach.
Since I'm on a work mode, Renzo Hotel serves its purpose. No problem with transpo from the airport to their hotel just inform them you want to be fetched. The fee is reasonable and the ride is comfortable. As for the rooms, mine was clean and wifi was great. They have choices for the rooms depending on your specs. The rates are also reasonable. I have stayed one time in one of the hotels there with my son, it was disappointing altogether, the room size and the price plus wifi was so bad that we had to go down to their VERY small lobby to connect.
With Renzo, despite no elevator, which was my only issue, everything is very satisfactory.
By the way, it's walking distance to the market and the St. William Cathedral.

Room Tip: For solo traveller, the standard room is good enough but if you want a bigger space and bed choose t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank WanderCezy
Las PInas
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Nice lobby. Parking was a bit tight because the hotel entrance was in front of a narrow road but the following day we found out that they have a guarded vacant lot nearby for parking. Oh well, my parking right in front of the hotel served us well because we did not have to carry our luggage too far.
Check-in process was well and staff was courteous.
No elevators. I reserved two rooms and got assigned on the fourth floor. I requested that the other room be replaced with a third floor unit as my sis in-law has difficulty with stairs. They gladly obliged.
Rooms were clean and even though the hotel is in the city center, we slept well without being bothered by traffic noise.
Buffet breakfast was not too good on the first morning but got a passing grade on me on the second day.
Overall, this hotel served our purpose of getting a good sleep after a day's touring of Ilocos' wonderful spots.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms to save you some effort of climbing another flight of stairs to the 4th floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JrlnLP
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This is a decent hotel in Laoag City. We were able to book it for this Holy Week and they accommodated us over the phone. The room was tiny, the bed was tiny (we got the Standard room), but good thing it was a comfortable stay - they had comforters, there's a fridge, a tv with cable, wi-fi and hot water. Pretty good deal for just P1,100.

Or so we thought. Come check-out time, they were charging us an additional P420 since they said we got a Standard room, which was supposed to be for a single occupancy only. And since, we stayed there as a couple, an extra person would cost more. Number 1, isn't a given for any hotel or motel that a Standard room is supposed to accommodate a maximum of 2 persons? Number 2, conceding this was their policy, my boyfriend wasn't told about this on the phone when he was reserving. He booked the Standard room and said we were a couple. The receptionist just confirmed our reservation and said that the room costs P1,100. Number 3, when we checked in, I was only told that I needed to pay P420 to avail of an extra breakfast. No mention that I was paying because I was an extra person. So I didn't avail of their breakfast buffet because I thought it was too steep.

Anyway, the receptionists must have sensed our irritation, especially mine, so after a few minutes of arguing and explaining, they decided to waive the P420. Thank you Renzo. Just inform your guests next time of your policies!

Another beware: they have no elevators! We were assigned a room on the fourth floor and had to take the stairs the whole time. So better not bring heavy luggage! Although the porters were very nice and helpful. :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank redrained
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We stayed here for 3 days.

Strong Wifi

Clean Room

Clean Hotel

Food is not bad

Grocery / supermarket is within the building

Free use of billiard, chess table.

Cable TV- skycable

Hot and cold shower

even though this is within the city, the place is quiet and far from the city hassle.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank PaulAnthony09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laoag
Java Hotel
Grand Octagon Resort
Grand Octagon Resort
#12 of 12 in Laoag
Playa Tropical Resort Hotel

Been to Laoag Renzo Hotel? Share your experiences!