I stayed at the Golden Rock Hotel with my family over Christmas 2012. This hotel is approximately a 10 minute climb from where the truck drops you off. You are able to hire porters to carry your luggage to the hotel if required.
The trick for a good stay is to understand that you really are roughing it out here. Past a certain time, they don't get electricity and they have to rely on a power generator. That will probably be the case until Myanmar becomes more developed. As it is, most of the locals come here for as a pilgrimage journey of sorts, so the Kyaikto region is relatively undeveloped as a tourist attraction.
Expect basic amenities if that - no internet, no proper safe, cabin style accommodation (do check the photos attached). Your expectations really determine what sort of experience you will get here.
- Good service (chilled bottled water after a sweaty climb... woohoo!)
- Comfortable Beds
- Meals from the restaurant needs to be ordered an hour in advance
- Breakfast was pretty oily
## Traveller Tip: It is better to eat at the restaurant here. Most of the other eating places at the top of the mountain pre-cook their food and just warm it up when you order.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Rock Hotel is a vantage point commanding unique breath taking views of the surrounding mountain ranges and spectacular sunsets – sights that will leave a lasting impression. Uniquely situated in an idyllic setting amid lush tropical vegetation and age-old rocks, the Golden Rock Hotel is ideal for relaxation and meditation on your trip to Kyaiktiyo.Just a 45-minute hike to the Kyaiktiyo Pagoda (Golden Rock Pagoda), the Golden Rock Hotel is one of the only properties offering international class accommodation and facilities to travelers.Accommodation is in individual chalets strategically placed on more than three acres of wooded terrain on Mt. Kyaiktiyo. The distinctive shape of each building resembles the shape of a hermit’s hat, taking full advantage of different elevations and architecturally designed to assure privacy for each room. This hotel is a perfect hideout, far-away from the busy city, yet it is located only 2 miles away from the world famous “Golden Rock Pagoda” which is distinguished as one of the most awe-inspiring places in the world.We are the proud recipient of the international “Millennium Golden Award” for Commercial Prestige for Customers’ Satisfaction and the “Green Standard Hotels Award” by the Ministry of Hotels and Tourism. Taking pride in our eco-friendly and sustainable operating systems we strive for a “Greener Myanmar”. A few of our eco-friendly efforts would include the mini-dam that was especially built on the premises for collecting natural mountain spring water for the exclusive use of the hotel. Our garden thrives in biodiversity consisting of blooming orchids, many varieties of butterflies and our own organic fruit patch. Some of these fruits are placed on your table to offer the best meal experience.Golden Rock Hotel has been the most preferred amongst visitors to this sacred site for our service, facilities and our ability to go above and beyond our guests’ expectations. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Golden Rock Hotel Kyaikhtiyo Myanmar/Kyaikto