“Lots of character. Good location.”
Review of Golden Cave Hotel

Golden Cave Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Pindaya B&B and Inns
Epsom
“Lots of character. Good location.”
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

A hotel in the traditional style. Large well equipped rooms. But everything is quite basic. Free WiFi. Comfortable bed. Sheets OK, but the towels were knackered. Charming staff and good food. Ideal for backpackers.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, England
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed here on Christmas Eve. The rooms are spacious and the bed strewn with flower petals which was a nice touch. But what made it really special was our hosts building a warming charcoal fire in the courtyard, inviting us for a pre-dinner drink of local plum wine and presenting every guest with a gift wrapped in beautiful handmade paper, a handwoven scarf made by the Inle Lake weavers. While we are escaping a western over-commercialised Christmas, our generous Buddhist hosts were anxious to help us feel at home by celebrating our festival in their country.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
uk
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for one night in January 2014. It does not look much on the outside but the rooms are actually little chalet-like rooms behind the hotel frontage. Ours had a little terrace with seats facing the garden and with views of Pindaya Caves. The hotel staff are friendly and we liked the flowers on the bed at night. It was pretty cold in Pindaya but the room is fine with enough blankets. The breakfast is ok, however my partner did feel unwell after the eggs but we cannot be sure of the source of the problem. We loved the town of Pindaya...very pretty and worth a 1-2 night stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed briefly here when I became very ill with a migraine headache on a homestay in nearby monastery. The owner?/manager? of this hotel (he had me call him just Sai) was coordinating the transportation/meals for our tour group and quickly transported me down to the Golden Cave at 6AM to recover.

The room was spacious and quiet with a clean bathroom -- all I needed! The staff checked in on me a few times and brought me breakfast in my room. They could not have been kinder.

When we moved on to Inle, one of our group left a tripod behind -- it was delivered the next day by Sai's brother. Thats at least a 6 hour round trip.

Although I did not personally pay for my room, judging from the prices on the Web, this is a great deal.

I would also like to note that I would highly recommend Sai for trips around the area. I had a fabulous time riding from Heho to Pindaya on his motorbike. At the monastery homestay nearby (not for the faint-hearted or physically unfit), he and his crew organized delicious rum sours, a village tour with home visits and veritable festival for the whole village in the monastery courtyard -- compete with fireworks, drumming and balloons. Remarkable day considering that I believe he organized all of this on the fly when it became apparent our main tour organizers original idea for the day was untenable. The food they prepared for us at the homestay was among the most delicious I had in Myanmar.

I simply cannot say enough good things about Sai, his lovely family and his team of driver/trekkers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kmarta
Munich, Germany
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was my 2nd stay (first time in 2007), this time my room was on the upper floor - large room, balcony, some nice touches like handmade paper umbrellas in the room corners, flowers on my bed ....
Bathroom okay, Breakfast could be more (typical Myanmar: some kind of juice, coffee/tea, toast, eggs, banana or tangerine - as I am not the toast type - or noodle soup for breakfast - , that does not leave a lot of options)
But: nice grounds, lots of green, flowers and orchids - and fairly close to the Pindaya caves.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

The Golden Cave isn't the nicest-looking hotel in town, but when brought there by a tour, I was pleasantly surprised. Our room was large and attractively decorated with wooden ornaments and fresh flowers sprinkled in patterns on the bed. We also had a little balcony with two chairs, overlooking greenery and the famous caves. Everything was very clean. Bathroom was adequate. They had a fan rather than aircon which was fine. They allegedly had free wifi but it didn't seem to work. They also have a little computer room. Breakfast was meagre but acceptable. Annoying that there was no complementary water. Otherwise, I had a good sleep and a good shower and was quite satisfied with The Golden Cave.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank ms_scotsgirl
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

we had 2 nights here--was clean comfotable and OK-quite good enough and good value. Very helpful staff who can organise walking/bird watching into the hills. Location perfect to reach caves and the lake and will stay agian, if return

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pindaya
Dream Mountain Resort
Global Grace Pindaya Hotel
Pindaya Farm House
Pindaya Farm House
#1 of 3 in Pindaya

Been to Golden Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!