“Great place to meet travellers at the campfire”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Phonsavan
Kong Keo Guesthouse & Tours
Ranked #1 of 33 Phonsavan B&B and Inns
Leiden, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
“Great place to meet travellers at the campfire”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Every night there was a Campfire going in an old bombshell dropped by the Americans in the secret war. Phonsavan has a lot to offer and this was a great place to stay. Staff was friendly and gave good information on the secret war. Go to his brothers pizza place to watch documentary's on the war and to get discount on a motorbike.

I do not understand the bad reviews on this place,

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The lonely planet it was a good value for money place but my experience was totally different. The place is dated and dirty and in need of a good clean and refurbishment. Taps or toilets aren't working properly according the owner so my question is why hasn't it been fixed?
The owner was drunk or non existing when I was there and no excursions offered so I've arranged my own.
The only plus side was that the water was really hot so that was a bonus after days of cold water. His brother runs a small guesthouse with a dorm just up the road which i can highly recommend if you're looking for a cheap place to crash

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The hostel's fine - a decent room with aircon, although when I went there it was pretty much empty, so the much-vaunted restaurant wasn't functioning.

Mr Kong himself lifted this up from a 3 to a 4 star for me, by virtue of giving me a personal tour of the Plain of Jars at 6am, just because I needed to get out of town at 9. He gave me a better rate than I'd have got on group tours elsewhere, and drove me out, showed me around, and gave me a really fun morning. A great guy, doing a great job.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Vang Vieng, Laos
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Even though I heard some bad things about the owner I went there, because i'm very easy going and have no problem staying in a bit of dirty place.
the owner- Keo was extremely rude and on the verge of verbally sexual harassing me. I went to sleep and was waken up by a hand full of rats going about in the room, under my bed, on my backpack and just everywhere.
I barely slept and early the next day I checked out.
when I told Keo there where rats in my room he didn't even say a word.

Not recomended to anyone, especially not for single girls.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Yifat G
Salzburg, Österreich
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Im surprised about the bad reviews concerning the owner! I loved the place. To be honest the matrasses was very hard but i dont expect much in simple accomodations.
I had the greatest time because the owner Mr Kong was amazing. He told so much about Laos bad history and there tours were fun, too. We had a lot of fun sitting outside the grill area, listening to music, playing guitar, talking nonsense and serious topics.

I just can say thank you to Mr. Kong becaus i learned so much!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Hendriksson
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I'm surprised at some of the poor reviews for Kong Keo but I think some people expect too much from backpacker accomodation. Sure, the place is a little rusty around the edges but what were you hoping to get for 50,000kip? Personally I couldn't care what state the place is in as i'm not there to enjoy the interior decor of a bedroom! Mr Kong was a super host and I can highly recommend his guesthouse and especially his tours (I chose option 2). He and his brother have a great sense of humour (his brother is what we in Britain call a dark horse) and give you insight into Laos which you wouldn't get staying elsewhere. One of the great things about this place is there is no WIFI, this might not appeal to some but it means travellers aren't glued to computer screens, instead they are drinking beers around the fire and having fun! People call Mr Kong lazy, he isn't, he is laid back just like Laos. Cheers Mr Kong!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Foix, France
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Kong Keo guesthouse ! It's a family run businness and Mr Kong, his wife and his brother are very friendly and helpfull ! The tour they offer is pretty nice too and if you choose the option 2 with the included dinner you'll really enjoed the food. It cost about 140.000 kip. My grilfriend and I got a nice room (quite basic) for 50.000 / night.
You can spend the evening next to a fire drinking beers (10.000 kip) and ask to your hosts to play some guitar.
Just so you know, if you want to take the night bus to Hanoi (at 2 am) they can book seats for you but it doesn't take 12hours as everybody seems to think. It's more about 20 hours !!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple