Anoulak Khen Lao Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Maly Hotel(Phonsavan)
Favanhmai Hotel(Phonsavan)
Chittavanh Hotel(Phonsavan)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Dok Khoune Hotel(Phonsavan)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe main streethot waterbaguettebasic breakfaststaff at receptioncomfortable roomsstayed two nightswestern foodelevatormarketlaoplainfridgemagdriverconveniencewardrobe
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Overall a good location in Phonsavan while you arrange and go on a trip to the Plain of Jars, decent size room, clean, everything works and is just off the main street where the restaurants are. But two things I found. Firstly we arrived by minivan from Vang Vieng, and, as is usual in Laos, the terminal is some way out of town. As it was raining we were pleased to see a man holding our name on a piece of paper. We were taken to the hotel and the man turned out to be the owner of a nearby travel agency who had got our name from our booking. As it happened he had excellent English, was knowledgeable about the area and although we did not feel at all obligated we did book our tour with him, and were pleased with it.
The second thing to be careful of is the breakfast in the restaurant on the fifth floor, an odd case of East does not quite meet West. Congee and a cold bain maree holding implausibly red frankfurters and congealed fried eggs. My wife was sick as soon as we returned to our room and I started to feel ill as the minivan set out for Luang Prabang, six hours of very winding road later and I had regretted every kilometre that I too had not vomited immediately after eating.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UbudBaliRichard_L
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was a very friendly and clean hotel that is near to the city center. The rooms were comfortable and even offered CNN on the TV. My room was nice and my breakfast was really good! Nice eggs were served and congee as well, that is popular with Asian travelers!

Room Tip: I would stay on the first floor in case something went wrong with the elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We arrive in Phonsavan and head to that hotel because it was the number 1 suggested on Tripadvisor. Complete desaster!!! The guy at the counter was simply not nice.
There was local guy staring at us like animal while they were smoking and playing cards in the main hall ... witha lot of cash on the table!
The rooms are clean but the whole thing is so bad that we don't think that was worth it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

not much to say about this hotel....i did not have the chance to test it. they just overbooked the rooms and cancelled my reservation.....and my guide had to look for a new room without any help from them. not really what you expect after an 8 hour car drive....to bad

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank GD73
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This hotel is located off one of the main streets that runs through the commercial part of Phonsavan town, and is within a short walk of a range of restaurants and shops. I was passing through town and wanted a clean place with good internet and hot water for one night en route to Vientiane. This turned out to be a good choice.

A very well English spoken gentlemen checked me in and the price of a standard single room was 200,000kip (roughly USD25). The room had air con and was spotless and spacious. The bathroom was also clean with decent pressure and hot water in the shower. The internet worked well during the day although during the evening it was slow, I guess as many guests were also using it. The breakfast offered simple options of precooked eggs and sausages and Lao pastries, fruit and rice porridge.

This would be a decent place to spend a few nights if visiting the cultural sights in the area or transitting through as I was. After having stayed in various cheap but not so nice guesthouses in remoter parts of Lao over the past week this was a pleasant upgrade on the last day of my field trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business