“Awful, awful service at restaurant”

Ban Sabai Riverside Bungalow
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Vang Vieng
California
“Awful, awful service at restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Went here for lunch by myself. The dining area is beautiful, right on the river with gorgeous views. Unfortunately my dining experience was marred by atrociously bad service -- some of the worst I've encountered anywhere in the world. When I arrived I said hello to the staff and took a seat at an open table. 10 minutes passed and I still hadn't been given a menu. I should have left at this point, but went up the counter to say "can I please have the menu". Finally 5 min later, I got one. 5 min later, I was able to order. Mind you, the place is not busy, just me and a family of 5 at another table. Anyway, I ordered a stir fry, some seasonal fruit, and a beer. It took 20 min to receive my beer, and worse still they brought the wrong one (a lager instead of dark, despite my clearly pointing out the dark one on the menu). 30 min after that, I finally get my stir fry. I finish that and am still waiting on my seasonal fruit. Literally should take a minute to make that -- cutting up a couple pieces of pineapple and watermelon -- but no, somehow it was taking more than an hour! I had to get up, walk to the counter again and ask for it to be brought. Finally, it too came. Next I went up the counter to pay (knowing that otherwise I'd be there for even more hours). When I got to the counter, the lady put up here finger in my face is to say "just a minute" as she was sorting through something else on the computer. No big deal under normal circumstances, but given how long I had waited for everything else, it took it as a bit of an affront. No apologies or anything. Too bad the service is so poor because the view is breathtaking. Would never return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
GMINTHIRA, General Manager at Ban Sabai Riverside Bungalow, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you to take the time to review our restaurant.
I am truly sorry that you have had a bad experience at our restaurant.
We always strive for the an excellent customer service and we are well aware that prompt action is a very important part of it.
Unfortunately, in your case there must have been a miscommunication that has caused a long waiting time.
I can assure you that I will meet with my staff to discuss your comments.
Your detailed feedback helps us to learn and improve.

Tai,
Ban Sabai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

we checked in with 3 mature couples, cosy wooden structured bungalows which need some overhaul, if you sleep without AC the moskitos come in everywhere, anyway we slept well with AC and enjoyed our stay, the riverside terrace restaurant is good and the views are breathtaking

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank magmur
Franz Josef, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

A fabulous stay at Ban Sabai Bungalows the views of the river and karst mountains while having dinner and drinks (and breakfast) were gorgeous. We had two peaceful nights there and really enjoyed our stay. Top marks for the friendly crew.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jonathan C
Peppermint Grove Beach WA Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Enjoyed several peaceful nights in a delightful bungalow with private deck over looking the pool, river and karsts. Drinks watching the sunset will remain a highlight of our time in Laos. Staff friendly and helpful and happy to see Vang Vieng was not the party capital we heard it might be. Do not pass up the chance to see this district.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Karen Y
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

This place is a pretty decent choice for Vang Vieng. It's a little more pricey ($35/night) than many of the other places in town, which was good because it kept the drunk backpackers away. The view of the river is beautiful. When we ate breakfast at the restaurant the sun was still coming up and it was incredible. The rooms are just fine. Maybe a little nicer than most for this part of the world. The wifi was up and down as was the hot water but that's normal for Laos.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tmo111
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

This little gem was a quiet oasis located near the main area. i stayed in a river view bungalow with a lovely bathroom and view. Fresh baguettes with coffee and homemade pineapple jam every morning made my day. The reception staff are very friendly and the breakfast area which included a second-storey terrace overlooking the mountains and river made me wish i could sit there the whole afternoon instead of going back to Vientienne.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Peng32167
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Great little hotel, very rustic and quiet. Spectacular views of the limestone kasts. Food was nice. No tv was a blessing. Room has opening glass doors on 2 sides so it feels like you outdoors. Only complaint i couldnt get the hot water to run. It is clean and rustic.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo