“Wonderful, until we were robbed”

The Elephant Crossing Hotel
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Vang Vieng
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I was leary of staying here based on the bad reviews of cleanliness and breakfast. I was wrong. Room was clean and breakfast was wonderful and plentiful and bug-free. Coffee was GREAT.

We stayed 2 nights and 1 full day. i.e. we arrived in the pm of day 1, had a full day, stayed a second night, and left the next morning to Luang Prabang.

The full day we used for a water cave+kayaking trip - it was so much fun! But we discovered upon arrival in Luang Prabang that a HUGE amount of cash we had locked in our suitcase had been stolen - all our money! (we travel with cash, yes). We are diligent responsible people that have traveled w/o being robbed for 20 years! We know this is the window during which the money was stolen. We are so disappointed, it has ruined our trip to Laos!

Recommend the hotel, just never leave anything valuable unattended.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed December 11, 2010

Restaurant by the river has a great atmosphere, especially at night
Rooms quite small with basic fittings, shower not separated from rest of bathroom, water hot but difficult to control temperature.
No sound-proofing: the bathroom window opens on to corridor; can hear neighbours talking or showering.
Very helpful and friendly staff.
Very odd, sometimes humorous, list of rules in English specifying various illegal activities that are forbidden in the rooms. I wonder what goes on if they need to make such rules explicit.
Wifi worked well, even in room.
Must leave shoes at the threshold, not allowed to wear indoors.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I stayed at this hotel last November for 1 night and returned this November for 3 nights. It is a very pleasant hotel. Centrally located and the view of the river and scenery from the room and whilst having breakfast is a must do. Staff were helpful and you can purchase a map of the town from reception. Rooms are not overly large but they are tastefully decorated and clean.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2010

This was my second stay at this hotel. Despite looking around for a superior alternative I returned here because I didn't see anything better in VV.

I have to say I am happy with that decision. Other people describe the limitations of this place but I've never had a major issue that spoiled my stay. What the hotel does deliver is the most amazing views and a balcony to enjoy them. The restaurant is also a scenic place to spend some time but I found the Laos food a bit lacking to be honest. As always, I'd like to be given the option of bland or authentic when ordering.

My one tip for this place is to get a room on one of the top two floors. I was told the top floor only has twin rooms and the next one down has standard doubles but if you're not on the top two floors you won't get anything like the best out of the view. In some cases you won't get a view at all. Without a view (at the same price) I'd give this hotel a 3 instead of a 4.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Considering this town is full of tubers and adventure seekers... luxury isn't always top of mind. The rooms here are small, the air conditioning leaks, the smell is a tad moldy; HOWEVER the rooms with balconies are lovely to sit and read in the afternoon sun, the wifi is free, there are wonderful bath products. I took the day to simply chill. I lounged out, had some frozen beverages and even took a dip in the kiddy pool as it was hot outside. If you don't want to tube or if you aren't an adventure seeker (biking, kayaking, caving), this town is really not for you. Food was ok, the service is terribly slow so be patient and enjoy the beautiful views. One note to management... I know you are English speakers. If a client is struggling with your staff, please help! I watched a woman struggle trying to explain something while you sat there on the computer 5 feet away - it was frustrating!

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We stayed here only for one night and we were very glad.
The hotel is okay but not more. The rooms (standard) are very small, the bathroom was smelly and the fridge was very loud.
We had a balcony with a beautiful view over the river and the view from the breakfast area was the same. Breakfast was okay but the staff wasn´t able to fill up everything in time. So with a gruop of 20 very hungry Frenchmen before us it wasn´t that easy to have breakfast on time.
What made the Elephant Crossing so terrible for us is the all night open air techno disco that started at 9pm and ended at 1.30 am. All the techno hits from 1999 in an endless mix that blew off your ears!!! We couldn´t exactly locate where the noise came from but after a while it didn´t matter anymore.
I assume that you could hear the disco in every hotel in the city of Vang Vieng so if you have to stay here, try to chose a hotel that is not in the center.
I know that the disco is not the fault of the Elephant Crossing, but if you forget about the disco, the hotel was still the worst we had on that trip.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We had actually booked at another hotel which was so bad we were pleased we could get a room at Elephant Crossing. We had tried previously to book online witrhout success as apparently tour groups book more rooms than they may use. Our first night was in a back room - no view but cheap and then we changed to a front room at the top which had a great view. Strangely no fridge which most hotels seem to have now. We enjoyed our stay and would certainly go back. The food in the restaurant in the evening was good with good ambience right on the river. Free WIFI which worked fine

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple