“Awful service”

The Elephant Crossing Hotel
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Vang Vieng
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This has to be the most awful place to stay in Laos. Never mind that the room is old, at least it was clean. BUT the service is just awfully bad, especially coming from the owner (australian lady) of the hotel! Questions were tossed aside with brief answers and attitude was just lousy (couldn't care less). Asking for travel advice, it's better to ask from anyone down the streets.

Beware for tired travelers, it's a child care centre during the day. Be prepared for screaming and crying children early in the morning in the garden and the noise just travels up through your windows even in the upper floors.

The only good thing is that the view is nice. But then again, that applies for the rest of the other 100 hotels down the river

Room Tip: Don't even bother.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ianfoo75
ECH1, Owner at The Elephant Crossing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Sir, I am sorry that you didn't have a good experience staying at our hotel. Your review says that you stayed with us October 2011, almost a year ago. I do not recall our encounter however brief and if more recent I am not based at the Hotel, hence if you met me it would have been brief coming or going. Our front desk is managed by local staff who work hard to please our guests. Once again, I apologize that you didn't get the full service you requested. Safe travels, Owner

There are newer reviews for The Elephant Crossing Hotel

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We're not into the VV party scene but thought that the surrounding area would still have something to offer so we booked for 2 nights. Sadly the room was not the sanctuary away from the VV scene that we were hoping it would be. The location was lovely and the view from the balcony beautiful but the room was quite small and smelled strongly of mothballs, a smell that stayed with us and our luggage for several days after we left (we only ended up staying one night). The washroom vents out into the main hallway so if you've been eating a healthy diet of fibre, anyone walking by is subject its percussive effects.
The staff were very nice and the breakfast was fine but the room itself was disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rachel h h
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Elephant Crossing twice in the last 2 years. It is the perfect location in Vang Vieng, away from the night life and a 1 minute walk to the shops. The rooms at the hotel face the Nam Song River with beautiful limestone mountains beyond the river that reach the clouds, amazing views which are changing all the time. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the river, it was a nice clean room, comfortable bed, the bathroom had a shower/bath and the other usual facilities such as cable tv, air con and a fridge. The restaurant and bar is located adjacent to the river, very tranquil when having a drink before dinner. The food is lovely and reasonably priced, about 30,000 - 35,000 kip for most meals, from memory the most expensive meal would have been about 45,000 kip. A large Beer Lao is 12,000 kip and they supply cocktails and spirits from the bar as well. The restaurant is very clean with a spotless toilet nearby. It opens at about 7.00 am and closes at 10.00 pm. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. It was the perfect hotel for my husband and I to relax and have some peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Book the second floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TrickyMicky228
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have stayed at the Elephant Crossing on 3 separate occasions over the past 3 years and could not recommend a better hotel than the Elephant Crossing in Vang Vieng. The hotel is located on the beautiful Nam Song river a couple mins walk from the town centre, far enough away from the partying of backpacker central. Most of the rooms face the picturesque limestone mountains in which Vang Vieng is so famous for. The Elephant Crossing is positioned for the best views out of all the hotels in Vang Vieng. The Elephant crossing is great value for money. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms have adequate cooling with a/c and also a fixed wall fan which comes in handy if u want to turn the air con off. The hotel is very quiet which I love as i am a light sleeper and wake easily. The restaurant directly fronts the Nam Song river with 5 star views. The Restaurant is very clean and hygienic and has very tasty dishes which are so fresh with local produce. The meals are a mixture of Lao, Thai and western food. The average meal is about $3-4 AUD..so cheap. For those who like a drink or two the restaurant has the best cocktails I have ever had. I have travelled all throughout Asia and the South Pacific and never have I ever had a better cocktail.... some of my favorites you need to try are the Frog, Gin Zing, White Dragon and Mango twist...and ONLY about $4-5 AUD. The cocktails are beautifully decorated and are a piece of art in itself. The breakfast is buffet style with a mix of Western and Asian. The staff are lovely and attentive and have good service. The gardens surrounding the hotel create a little oasis which is just so soothing and relaxing. I could not recommend a better Hotel in Vang Vieng. I stay for about a month at a time and I never want to leave. You can never tire of the views and the peacefulness of the hotel, just paradise.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sheree W
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The staff at the reception were very nice and the breakfast okay, The room was on the small side and the AC not great. Overall I would say that the problem is that this hotel is not good value for money. For this price bracket we stayed in much nicer places elsewhere in Laos.

Room Tip: Views are better on the higher floors. (alough the nicer rooms are lower.)
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel looks lovely in any web site and also the photos I took, but really is very run down.
The hotel location is very good, right in the center but not too noise around the bars. The restaurant located in a beautiful spot of the place. Rooms look out to river, beautiful view. The staff is nice and breakfast is okey. All this offer is very nice for us.
But.... The rooms full of ants, the bathroom was so dirty, wifi was poor (always cut out). Anything I try to use in room was broken or not have.....
For the price I pay in Laos, this place is really overprice.
I think I can be back for the view and Vang Vieng, if there is some upgrade and better management.
Vang Vieng is a very beautiful place and this is a lovely hotel with lovely location, hope can be better for my next visit.

Room Tip: River view high floor.... Beautiful!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2012

For anyone looking to be a bit away from the guesthouses and bars where all the young people are getting drunk, the Elephant Crossing is in a great spot just down the road along the river from the center of town and most of the commotion. The views form the upper floors is spectacular and a great vista to look at in the mornings.

The rooms are getting a fair bit worn, and apparently the management is renovating them a few at a time during the low season, so hopefully the place will soon return to a fresh updated state.

The staff was very friendly and helpful both in the hotel and the restaurant. The restaurant terrace overlooking the river was a great place for breakfast or dinner. The food was about average although that may be different in the high season.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 3rd or 4th floor if you want the great views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family