“There is no better way to experience the rolling green hills of Laos”

Uncle Tom's Trails - Private Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 12 Tours in Vang Vieng
More attraction details
Owner description: Uncle Toms is a dirt bike tour operator offering tours and riding tuition (for total beginners) in the Kasi region of Laos PDR. 125cc four stroke trail bikes. plus smaller for training,British operator. Always best to book in advance due to limited places each day. Training is limited to two persons at one time and open to anyone over 5 feet 5 inches(165cm)on the full sized bikes, but we now have smaller bikes for anyone who is a bit smaller. Due to the rapid changes recently in Vang Vieng town,we have moved location, now we are based in the amazing Kasi District which is 55 kilometers north of Vang Vieng town.
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“There is no better way to experience the rolling green hills of Laos”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had a great afternoon motorbiking tour with Tom on June 4th. My friend and I were staying in Vang Vieng, so we arranged transport for the day to Tom’s location about 30 minutes south of Vang Vieng at the Blue Lagoon Resort. Note, that you should be able to get there for 15000 kip/person via tuk-tuks going south, though this is hard to do since you need inside knowledge to know where to pick-up or get off, but possible if you ask the right people.

I had learned the basics of riding a motorcycle about a month prior but my friend had never been on a motorcycle. Tom taught my friend for about 45 minutes then we hit the road. We arrived at the nearby trails and it started to rain pretty hard, which created big patches of mud. After some adventures going up the muddy mountain, we turned back and hit the road. The weather cleared up and the sun came out. Tom took us to some great spots to take in the stunning landscape, while sharing his experiences and knowledge about the Lao culture. It was truly an unbelievable way to see the countryside and a great day. To top it off, after returning to Blue Lagoon we had a delicious lunch at the restaurant overlooking the lake.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank swai02

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Tom took me out on a motorbike tour, just me and him. I had never ridden before and his teaching methods were excellent. He never put me in a position in which I felt uncomfortable. I progressed quickly and at the end of the day was riding like the best of 'em.

Tom took me on a tour of the neighbouring towns and we saw some beautiful scenic views, unparalleled to anything I had ever seen before. Plus, it's always better from the back of a bike!

Thanks Tom!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Dlandsm
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“My off-road nerves are now banished!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Thank you so much Tom! I had a wonderful couple of hours finally learning how to ride a bike off the tarmac. I would highly recommend this to anyone from absolute newbies through to the more experienced. I went with my brother-in-law who has ridden Vespa's for years and we were both keen to pick up some tips and skills. Tom is so patient and instills such a level of confidence that within 10 mins I was tackling a steep rutted incline which previously would have reduced me to tears! But with his help - I did it! Twice!

I cannot recommend this lovely guy enough as he gave me one of the highlights of my trip to Laos. In addition his knowledge of the local area and cultural sensitivity means you will see places well off the beaten track. I am definitely planning to come back!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank sam D
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Such an amazing experience!!”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Tom, sorry it took me so long to get this review out :). So where to start... I spent about a week in Vieng Vieng and had the time of my life. As you know or will know, getting around on a moped can be quite bumpy and it really limits how far in the wilderness you can go. The hotel I was staying at reccommended me to try out Uncle Tom's Dirt bike tour. I'm an avid rider back in the USA so was excited to try this out. I called up tom and made a reservation for the next day. Turned out that it was just me that sighned up that day. He didn't cancel and took me out as promised. I got a private tour basically. He took me to some incredible places. We went though rivers back country roads and trails. He stopped at a market and bought a bunch of food and supplies and I thought they were for him. About 20 minutes later, we ended up at a small remote village where he gave away gifts to local villagers. We then were invited up to one of the locals houses and were offered special home brewed lao lao whisky. Such a cool experience. After that, we went to another small villiage that Tom was familiar with and pulled our bikes over by a bunch of children. We gave out some candy which really brought a huge smile to their faces. Knowing that I'm an experienced rider, Tom took me through some trails that were challanging which was great. Some of the places we ended up were just stunning. In summary, I highly reccommend anybody thinking about doing this tour to do it. Even if you have little or no experience.

Jon - USA

Visited April 2013
2 Thank jon s
London, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Legend!!!”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

By far the best thing that i did on my travels through Laos,
The experience of racing crossers around the river tracks and mountains of laos was amazing,
We stopped at a little town and gave football jerseys to the local kids which was amazing.
Uncle tom is a true legend his tours are awesome... on a seperate day he took us too his friends watersports lake to drive jetski's... the mans awesome and if he lived near me i would defo invite him to christmas dinner and my wedding!! (not just the reception either!!! the whole day!!!)

Visited November 2012