“WARNING TRAVELLERS - DO NOT STAY HERE!!”

Viengvilay Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vang Vieng
Viengvilay Guesthouse
Ranked #41 of 97 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“WARNING TRAVELLERS - DO NOT STAY HERE!!”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

On first impressions this hostel seems great, the rooms are cheap, the locations good, it seems clean and the family run guesthouse appears very friendly...DO NOT BE DRAWN IN BY THIS!
My experience here was by far the worst, scariest travel experience ever!
One of the owners flipped out and attacked another traveller in the hostel, the guy had to get to hospital with multiple serious injuries and was lucky to get out when he did, God knows what would have happened if this had continued!
It was a horrifiying experience for everyone involved and one I would not wish upon my worst enemy... Read the reviews... for your own sake - stay clear!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Do not stay in this hostel if you value your safety and posessions, the owners are extremely intimidating and violent, dont trust them or the safe they provide they will most certainly try to rip you off. I have done a lot of traveling in a lot of different countries and this is by far the most discraceful hostel i have ever stayed so believe me when i say DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DappaD

Travelers are raving about these Vang Vieng hotels

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Warning!!! The owner here is crazy and beat a English traveler for no reason. The owners and his mates are currupt (scammers) and violent. They seem to be under the influence of drugs/alcohol at night. At first they seem nice but will quickly turn on you. Worst hostel ever. Sent the kid to the hospital with broken arm and slashes on his head. Do not ever step foot in this place.

• Stayed April 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We pretty much chose the first place we came across and it was the right decision. Very cheap from what i recall and the owners were very helpful and kind (Mama and her brother even helped when my friend was having a bad time with some opium tea!). They were a bit annoyed when he left without thanking them though! Generally clean and pleasant, good balcony but we didn't spend long in the hostel. Lots of little insects but apart from that ok. Got woken up by building works early every morning which was irritating. Free bottle of whiskey when we got there so all in all i highly recommend it. Would definitely recommend. Very close to the tubing hire place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Stumbled in here with no idea what was up or down in the town, and glad I did. The hotel is perfectly located in the middle of everything and a stones throw from tube rental. The staff were super friendly and helpful and fun! And they spoke great English too. The rooms weren't anything much but decent value for your money. They also managed to get us the fanciest minivan ever for our trip to Luang Prabang! Would recommend.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Sarah K
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2011

The cheapest lodgings I have ever had save those times Kipping on a mates couch. I paid 60,000 kip for a double room with fan, tv and bathroom.

The fan didn't really alleviate the heat but chased the warm air around, the shower was cold, there was ants crawling all over the room and in the bed, the bathroom was constantly soaking, one window pane was missing and the bin in the room wasn't changed during the 6 day stay. But for that price in Laos that is probably fair enough.

My only moan I will have is when I checked out the lady didn't believe we had checked in on the day we actually did so was essentially accusing us of lying and trying to charge us 4,3,2,1 days more until I provided the receipt from our last hotel in lunang prabang. Whilst the accusations took place I spied in the guestbook that the person before us paid 50,000 kip for said room so it may be worthwhile bargaining in this place unlike yours truly.

I wouldn't want the above to put anyone off this place as it is a hood budget option right next door to the tubing hire place where you can also get a tuk tuk straight to the tubing start, just make sure you have proof of when you check in and sign-in in the questbook!

...and another thing: try and have some proof of when you begin your internet browsing in the lobby as it operates on an honour system and I had to argue my way out a two hour charge rather than my actual 30 minute session.

• Stayed May 2011
new york
Reviewed August 24, 2009

A friend and I stayed here for 2 nights. We had no reservations when we arrived in Vang Veing, so we walked around town and checked a few spots. We were lucky enough to stumble across this great guesthouse. The owner is perhaps the nicest woman I've ever met, and she was very accommodating. Upon check-in, we even got free shots of whiskey to welcome us. The guesthouse is just up the street from the tubing rentals in the heart of town, and the room rates are great. I rarely take the time to review places I've stayed, but felt obligated to write this one since my experience there was so pleasant and I want to give back to them in anyway I can.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends