“Just wasnt clean at all”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vang Vieng
Mesah View Guesthouse
Ranked #27 of 101 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The mosquito net in the room was tied up with a huge cockroach inside. I wonder whether the bed was not cleaned, or the net had a huge hole? We moved rooms, the bed sheets were really stained with big oil patches which smelt brand new so the sheets had definitely not been changed. The pillow cases had numerous hairs. There was a toothpick left in the sink. Huge hole in the mosquito net. Bolt on inside door didnt align so could not be used. Heaps of rubbish stuffed under the beds with dead bugs and clumps of dust. Bedroom door thick with cobwebs.
Struggling to find something positive to say. No doubt the owner is going to respond belittling my claims but hey im just telling you my experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sunshine909
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

I apologise for your unfortunate experience. We will be giving your a full refund. I will be contacting you privately to ascertain the best mechanism for doing so.

I am based in Australia, and am just going to Vang Vieng for a holiday, but now it looks as though I have some work to do to investigate this matter to see if it was an isolated incident and if not to fix things up so it wont be repeated.

Before Loay renewed the lease and there was a lot of uncertainty about whether the lease would be renewed. During the downturn when the government smashed up the bars, we had a couple of bad reviews about the plumbing which were issues we couldnt do anything about at the time. As soon as the lease was renewed, however the plumbing was fixed.

Likewise I feel confident that your review ensures that improvements will be made in response to your review.which will benefit those that follow in your footsteps.

Again, our sincere apologies...

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I like the location as it nears to kayaking end point and my favourite pancake stall & french restaurant just nearby. No free tuk tuk service from bus station and no welcome drinks as claimed. The room is clean and we were lucky to got a room near balcony which can see beautiful sunset in van vieng. The staff was not really helpful. Nobody help us to call the minivan we booked when it didnt turn up.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Celestefun
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

The customer is always right. Many guests are easy to please. However, some are very hard to please!

You liked our location but only gave it three stars. You had a clean room with a new mosquito net and a magnificent view over the river for great sunsets which you liked but only gave three stars!

I note that you wrote in your review of The Nice Guest House in Phonsavan: "The best thing about this GH is the free tuk tuk service from bus station". Is that really your main criteria for judging a guesthouse? I would have thought having a room with a magnificent view at our guesthouse was rather more important than a free one dollar tuk tuk ride, but each to their own! Send your details to me and I will refund one dollar to you quite happily.

If you phone up, Loay will come and pick you up. However, we no longer wait at the bus stop because so many travellers made a booking and then simply didn’t show up which ended up getting very frustrating, waiting at the bus stop for hours simply wasting time. When the buses arrive there is a mad scramble where many guesthouses try to convince you to forget your booking and go to their guest house instead, and we don’t want to be part of that. However, Loay forgot to tell me (in Australia) to update the website to that effect, for which I apologise, and I have modified the website.

You mentioned "No free welcome drink as claimed". This is actually what it says on the website: "Complimentary cold water and hot drinks are available at all times". No mention of free welcome drink. Instead you had free drinks all the time! What more do you want? You are able to give us a bad review with a comment which is blatantly false and can damage our business and tripadvisor ratings, and owners have very little come back in terms of right of reply. Throw enough brown stuff and some of it sticks.

I would ask you to please take more responsibility when you make further reviews on tripadvisor in the future, and to worry about the big things rather than little things.

I would like to take the opportunity to let everyone know that new mosquito nets are now in all the rooms, as shown in the photos newly uploaded. We have also just introduced lower off season prices.

Finally, I would repeat an earlier point I made: A lot of the staff have extremely limited English. Kind of like you have extremely limited Lao in most cases. Please remember that until a handful of years ago this was a place far, far off the beaten track, a place bombed to bits by the US without declaring war, and that it takes time to get up to speed learning English. Also many of our staff are a little reserved, as this is the Lao culture. It does not mean they are not trying to help, however.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

If you want to spend a really good moment in vang vieng, go to mesah view guest house, the owner loay and the staff are super friendly and they can give you a lot of precious advices to enjoy this city!

the rooms are clean, peacefull, cheap and you have one of the best view on the river and the moutains, the sunset is awsome!

free wifi, free coffee, free smiles! i will be back!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BriceThihglander
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay. As you pointed out, there is free wifi. What we have failed to do is explain that it is really fast! Some people need to run a business and find a place to stay for a couple of weeks and chill out but still make money over the internet. Or to just watch movies and facebook etc. We are here for you!

Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The room was clean, though the walls are a bit stained, sheets and bathroom were clean. The view is spectacular and unbeatable. For a single bed room with the amazing view and aircon is ten dollars. Who could ask for any better? The owner is very friendly and responded promptly to all the emails I sent. Great place.

Chinese Cowgirl

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank ChineseCowgirl
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Thanks for your review, and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

We are doing what we can to update the premises as fast as we can. Loay leased the guest house for a year and with the Government removing all the riverside bars the tourism trade dried right up and for a while the guesthouse was losing money. Loay has recently renewed the lease, and has updated the plumbing and toilets and put in mosquito nets. Soon he will be painting the walls in the rooms.

With only 11 rooms we need to keep our occupancy rates high considering the low prices we charge so the progress has been a little slower than we would like. However, we are getting there one step at a time.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I arrived here in Mesah View after a 3 1/2 hours bus ride from Vientiane. It is quite a distance away from the main entrance to the town but walkable (10 mins walk). Me and my friend opted for a tuk tuk as we have our backpacks with us. Once we are there, Loay (the owner) was there. The guesthouse was full on the day we arrive and thankfully we did email in advance to book. You can find his email from the website. We decided to take the room with the fan as there is no need for the air-con. The temperature at night drops quickly to 16-20 degrees. Paid 80,000 kip for the double bedroom with fan. Try and get the room at the back facing the river. There's no morning sun plus you get an amazing view of the river. Water pressure for the toilet was amazing. Rooms were very bright and the fan works perfectly. For the price that we pay, it was a definite value for money. Loay lent us his hobomaps and we start exploring the town via our motorbikes. There's even a takraw court in front of the guesthouse where locals would hang out for a game or two in the evening. Overall, a great place to stay and I will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 203. Double bedroom with fan facing the river. There's another room with airco...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vincentleryee
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

I am in Australia handling the responses for Loay as Loay speaks English but is not quite so good at writing it! I also created his website.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

Due to a misunderstanding with Loay I thought the mosquito nets were already in place, but as at March 7th they have not yet been installed. Apologies for any inconvenience. Fixing up the plumbing and toilets was quite expensive and may be the reason for the delay, I am not sure. I will be on holiday there myself in late April and May so I can assess things for myself and update the website etc.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

If you go in van vieng, no hesitation, go to mesah view guest house !
Why ? First, you have everything you can need with a cheap price :
- Clean rooms with hot shower inside (60000 kip / 2 person for example)
- Cheap dorm with shower outside (20000 kip / 1 person)
- Laundry (7000 kip / kilo)
- Free hot drink (tea / coffee)
- Free and good wifi connection
- Massage (40000 kip lao massage)
- Water, coca cola, cigaret, etc. sold in the guest house.
- Good view and quiet place
- Not far from the center but not as noisy as guest houses what are in the center
- Bus reservations

Secondly, and this thing is very important, you have a very friendly boss and staff. You have just to ask to Loey where you want to go in van vieng and he will answer you honestly. He can help you to find good place to visit, good place to eat, everything (and you have a map of van vieng displayed in the guest house). If you need something more in the guest house, he will give you : more towels, more blankets, more toilet paper, everything, you have just to ask him and he will be here for you.
During my travel i have never seen a staff more friendly and helpful than loey and his family.

And for my own story ; At the beginning i wanted to stay here just one week, now i am here for a month ! And i will stay here three weeks more. Loey takes me and my friends with him in lao place, i learn a lot of things about lao people, we did lot of parties with them, like a fire and a barbecue near the river with lao and farang, festivals with lao people, so, lot of things that i will remember all of my life. And these things wasn't possible without loey and his family/staff.

So, if you don't need a big hostel but just a simple and cheap place (with everything you need : bed, shower, toilet, hot drink, wifi, etc) with honest people, go to mesah view guest house ! You will not regret it !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GezaMARTET
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thanks for the positive feedback. Glad you enjoyed your stay so much! After getting a couple of bad reviews I feel the need to take this opportunity to clarify a couple of things.

First Loay rents or leases the guest house, so is limited in making improvements to it. It is only a small guesthouse with 11 rooms and does not have restaurant or swimming pool, although Loay can and does arrange meals to be delivered from nearby eateries of which there are many. Loay recently considered moving to another guesthouse which was a better building, more rooms and a chance to earn a little more. However, Loay chose to stay here for the magnificent view and the fact that it is slightly away from the noise of the central area, and the fact that the beauty salon has an established reputation within Vang Vieng.

Recent criticism that we are overpriced is very hard to swallow. Rooms with a view such as we have here would cost over $100 a night in France or Australia, yet here we are not charging $50, we are not charging $20, and in most cases it is less than $10 per person per night!

So, if you want good hospitality, good views and good times and to create some good memories, be part of an extended family and interact with Lao people and want to be that important couple of hundred extra metres from the noisy bars, we think we can be a good choice for you

However, If you are expecting 8 star world class service and facilities for less than five dollars a night, then sorry, rather than us getting a terrible review because we cant live up to expectations we feel are a bit unrealistic, it might be better for you to find somewhere else! Avoids everyone getting frustrated!

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Me and my two friends stayed here during the whole time in Vang Vieng. Very nice family, they really care for you and give you good advice. They most definitely have got the best view over the river and the mountains. You can watch the beautiful sunset from the balcony. One of the nights Loay took us out to a place further up the river, bonfire, good food, good drinks and good company.

Room Tip: The rooms on the backside of the guesthouse has view over the river from the window.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Glad you had a good time. I need to clarify some aspects of Lao culture visitors may not understand. One review said some of our staff seemed disinterested. In fact, many Lao people are shy and avoid eye contact, which will be validated if you check out Teaching English In Laos in Google... it is a sign of respect, not disinterest!. Also many do not speak English, although you may not speak the local language either!