“Bargain - very helpful owner, perfect location and amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pan's Place

Pan's Place
Ranked #6 of 96 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
England, United Kingdom
“Bargain - very helpful owner, perfect location and amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed for 5 nights - Chris the owner went out of his way everyday to make sure we got the best deals and saw the sites. Food was brilliant and so cheap. Wifi in the guesthouse and the showers are really powerful! Would definitely go back!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed her for 3 nights with a friend. The owner is extremely helpful and made us feel right at home. Good location and super cheap accommodation. Rooms aren't anything special but do the trick. Would stay here again for sure and would recommend to all on a tight budget.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Perfect location only about 5mins walk too main strip of pubs and food. When being shown to our cabin we thought we were in for a shock but no, cabin was spotless and clean sheets and mosquito net, outdoor shares shower toilet which not ideal but the cabin was so cheap. But the main plus was the owner, a gentleman gave us an absolute Trojan amount of tips advice in everything in laos highly advice staying here just for his help alone.

Stayed June 2014
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

I took the private room for 70000 kip. We stayed there for 4 nights. For this price it's ok but no more. The room wasn't the cleanest I've seen. The shower was bellow average and there is no wifi in your rooms. The staff was really nice but the reason for the grade is that when I arrived Chris asked me how many nights do I plan to stay. I told him 4. After 2 nights I came and said that I will leave after 4 nights(just to make sure ). Then he surprised me and said that I have to leave because someone booked the room before me and come early. Eventually I stayed in my room after I asked him why and said that it's not fair

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Saar A
chris p, Owner at Pan's Place, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for the review. It is true our rooms are average , but the extras are what keeps the customers coming. As we are a popular place, that is at capacity for much of the time , it is all ways a balancing act to keep everyone happy.The booking that took your room emailed to see if they could come a day early. So I asked if you would mind moving to another double room as you were 2 people in a triple room. You said that was not fair , so I let you keep the room. The way we operate this guest house is cheap and cheerful , which suits most of our guests. On reflection I would say that you probably should have checked out other options, in one of the many near empty guest houses in this town.
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

The rooms had everything you need for a fair price, beds are good, fans, attached bathroom. The TV room with pre-loaded movies is a nice touch although the actual room smells a bit grim. Free wifi, water and access to 2 computers is great. There's a cafe and space to sit downstairs and you can book almost anything through them. I liked the place and found the owner very helpful, his local knowledge was much appreciated.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
chris p, Owner at Pan's Place, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thanks for the review. I will talk to the cleaning staff about the tv room, thanks for letting me know.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights whilst travelling Laos. The hostel is the cheapest accommodation we've had, ever, But the £4.50 a night price is represented in the cleanliness and decor of the place.
The room we had, 306, was OK. Dodgy looking bed linen and a bathroom that has a mind of its own with regards to noises and water pressure. The internet connection is quite poor, and you can only get it in reception.
To be fair to the owner, Chris, he is very helpful and eager to give advice whenever he can. Although, he did ask 4 of us who were talking at a reasonable decibel to be quiet so he could Skype, even though we were sitting in the computer/dining/reception area, which I found quite rude in all honesty.
If your a budget traveller then pans place is a great option, anything other than that you'll probably do 1 night and find something 10times better for not too much more per night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank adamtaz
chris p, Owner at Pan's Place, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Adam
Thank you for your review, and honest comment. I also like to give honest feedback, so hear is my observation of you. Yes I did ask your group to be a little quieter as the communication was really important and you were being louder than you realize. If the room and bed was as bad as you say , and other options were available to you, then why did you stay 3 days? You also failed to mention the incident out side the guest house, at 1 am when you and a dozen other guests’ woke up the whole Naborhood, and I had to literally scream at you to stop. Pan’s is packed out almost every day, even at this time of the year so I am happy if people want to stay else where, (they could do with the business).
Frankly Adam I wish you had decided to stay elsewhere.

So if you don't want basic facilities at a basic price, but with lots of extras,then please go elsewhere. As Adam said there is plenty to choose from..
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

The stay here was okay. You get what you pay for. Cheap accommodation. Good food.
Stay here but don't do your visa for Vietnam with them. I was a little scared to do my visa with them, but the assured me multiple times that everything will be okay. I payed $76 for a multiple entree visa. But when I got my passport back I got a single entree visa. I called Pans, but they could do anything. So I ended up having to completely change my travel plans. Really des appointing!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Nederland87
chris p, Owner at Pan's Place, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our guest house. Your request for a multi entry one month visa , was the first one we had been asked to get, in the over three years that we have been running Pans Place. When I gave your request to the bus company they said nothing and charged the standered fee.
I checked with them this morning and the told me it is impossible to get a one month multi entry on a land crossing. I apologies for not investigating more thoroughly your request, we will not make that mistake again.