“Great value for the price - Excellent Customer Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pan's Place

Pan's Place
Ranked #6 of 96 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Portland, OR
“Great value for the price - Excellent Customer Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

My friend and two daughters and I stayed two nights in a family room (one larger bed plus one over sized twin) while in Vang Vieng. The room was clean, comfortable, nothing fancy, but everything we needed, including fans, television, hot shower and enough bedding to make the bed comfy.

Go to the website for Pan's Place and click to book or talk to Chris Perkins. He is wonderful, full of helpful information, can book hot air balloon rides, negotiate tuk tuk rates, tell you the best caves and swimming holes to go to, book busses for you etc. He is our hero. They do laundry here and you can get food reasonably priced straight up food here as well, so it's a full service budget place.

I liked that it was close to everything yet away from the nuttiness of the "tuber" only crowd.

I can recommend this place for location, friendliness, helpfulness, and amenities. If you are looking for posh then stay somewhere else. If you are looking for clean, safe, comfortable with all the basic including wifi and free filtered water and all the toilet paper you need in your en suite bathroom then stay here.

Room Tip: If you are a family or even friends staying together then book the first floor family room that has...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

A very homely and well-run place, close enough to the action but far enough away to not be bothered by it!
I stayed in a private ensuite room on the 1st floor of the main block. It had a large fan but barely needed to use it as the room didn't get overly hot. Firm bed with clean bedding, fresh towels and a very powerful shower. Useful information on Vang Vieng in the booklet provided. Ability to put a padlock on the room door was good.
Food and drink available from the cafe/reception. Plenty of seats to read or just relax in. Tv Room on the 1st floor with massive collection of movies. I booked my bus to Luang Prabang here and all went smoothly. Internet computers available at competitive rates.
Great hostel in an interesting town! Would definitely stay here if I was to return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

I stayed at Pan's Place in November 2011 for about 3 weeks. Its pretty close to main road but far away so you can't hear the madness if you are trying to get some sleep or have a quiet night. The owners are pretty knowledgeable about Vang Vieng and Laos and will do anything to help you get the most of your trip. The rooms are clean and nice and the area around the guesthouse is cleaned regularly. I would recommend staying here!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

Pan's place is not only ridiculously and conveniently cheap it's also a place my boyfriend and I felt very safe at. When your paying I think it was around 4 GBP a night for a room the most you can hope for is safety & cleanliness - pans place had both. Yes the furniture is a bit dated & the shower a little old or whatever minor complaints but it's friendly enough and nicely located away from the hustle and bustle of the town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

I stayed at Pan's Place in Vang Vieng for 2 days and we had nothing but problems. We booked 12 hours ahead because we were arriving in the morning and when we arrived they said our room (worth 50,000) wasn't ready so they put us in a more expensive room (85,000) than we booked. When I asked if we would have to pay the extra 5 dollars he said no. The next morning the owner then told me I should have enough money to pay for it and was very aggressive towards me when I tried to pay 50, 000 kip instead of 85,000. Then when I checked out he wouldn't return my key deposit and said I had stayed for three nights when I had stayed two. He blatantly stole 10 dollars off me by saying I had stayed 3 nights and made me pay for the more expensive room, even though when I asked if I had to pay more he said no. He would not communicate and at the end of our discussion he walked away and told me to get out.

The entire experience made me so upset that it ruined my time in Vang Vieng and I left a day early. I can see others had a good experience so maybe he only abuses young single females who he feels are more easily pushed around.

The rooms were not that bad but I have stayed in cheaper budget rooms in Laos with better mattressess and cleaner. I would not call the rooms clean but there were no sings of rats or bugs and there were mosquito nets. I was also provided a towel. He also promised hot water but both times I showered it was freezing.

All in all it was an awful experience and I felt sick everytime I returned to my guesthouse during my time in Vang Vieng.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Georgia255060
Seongnam, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed here for just under a week and it was nothing but great. Chris, the guy who runs it, is incredibly friendly and knowledgeable and will help you with absolutely everything you could possibly need. The rooms were super cheap (and basic, but it's all wee needed), clean, and comfortable. The staff was friendly, the food, laundry, and beers were cheap, and overall it was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights originally planned only 3 but the price and owners helpful advice was excellent. We stayed in one of the block of rooms to the rear which was a bit noisy, mostly due to the motorbike parking spots right outside our window and the roosters next door but to be fair there's not much they can do about that! The food was really good and I'm surprised at previous reviews saying it's bad. All in all a decent place to stay. Clean, not too close to the noisy bars and good value.

• Stayed December 2011