“location good, Wifi signal very bad, breakfeast not good”

Villa Vang Vieng Riverside
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Vang Vieng
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The location of this hotel is good, right at the river and a little out of town
So you need to be good in walking !

But the Wifi is very bad - almost no connection possible !

Don´t try the scramble egg for breakfeast - just horrible !

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Villa Vang Vieng Riverside

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We also had a bit of trouble checking in. They gave us perhaps the worst room in the place which was tiny with hard hard mattresses. The second and third night they moved us to room with an actual garden view which was lovely. Wifi very iffy, though it did work every once in a while. Garden, pool, and restaurant were all great. The town itself is a mud pit, so we were glad that we had a quiet and beautiful place to stay.

Room Tip: At the very least get a garden view room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I chose this hotel based on the positive reviews however I was disappointed.
I was hopeful we would have a nice stay as I had been emailing the owner a lot of questions before our stay and he was very helpful and informative, but upon arrival the 'welcome' we received was the worst check in I have EVER experienced. We were asked for our passports which was a bit of a hassle getting out as I had loads of bags and tired from 8 hours on a mini bus. But I duly provided it and was told ' don't need it ' ! Then was told even though we ordered 2x double rooms, one was only a twin! No apology.Then we had to decide who had the double so I asked 'Which one is for 2 nights and which for 1 night' as 2 of our party were only staying one night. She said the twin was for 2 night stay so I took the key for that one. That was it in terms of check in. I was very annoyed to see the room our friends had stayed in i.e. the double, was then unoccupied the second night!
Hot water took about 2 mins to come through on the shower, most decent hotels would mention that up front.
We weren't told what time breakfast was, or the wi-fi password. Again, most decent hotels would provide this quite standard information up front.
I was very surprised to read reviews intimating the bathrooms were of 5 star standard. I have actually stayed in many 5 star hotels and in my view the bathroom would barely scrape a 4 star. It was a 3 star bathroom.
The lack of hairdryer was a bit irritating but I'm not sure if you could expect that for the price. I didn't feel asking at reception would have helped.
We left out valuables behind reception but this was a hassle getting them back.
I returned on day 2 around 2pm to ask about hiring bikes (to get to the blue lagoon, quite a popular touristing thing in VV) and was just told 'No'! Something like ' No but the guest house up the road has bikes and its about a 7km cycle' was more was I was hoping for! Then I wanted to go back into the room to change and was told housekeeping had the key. I then had to push this and challenge before I was allowed back in my room!
I agree with other reviews about the setting and the restaurant was nice - although a few issues with not getting the food we ordered but no big deal.
At the end of the day the prices are reasonable and it has a pool. If you can handle basic accomodation and a lack of staff helpfulness then stay here.

Room Tip: Go for a river view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel is the living Proof that vang vieng is not only about partying and tubing but has much more on offer: beautiful landscape and tranquility.

The Garden, Pool and whole area including the Location on the hotel are great. You can enjoy the Sunset while relaxing in the Pool overseeing the Mountains.

The rooms are small, kept clean though. Everything could be a nudge more modern, then adequately reflecting the nice hotel compound.

All in all: you wont regret staying there and if you dont feel like going to one of the Restaurants in town, just stay there! Their food is great too.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 9, 2012

pros: the magnificent views of the mountains and the river, pool
cons: small room, no frigde, no reading lights, all in all very dark. the big windows to the verandah could not be opened at my room, they where secured with nails. breakfast is tasteless, after one day they served toast instead of the baguettes with the eggs. in the afternoons at the pool i ordererd lemon juice 3 times, 2 times i got orange juice. some staff are really nice and helpfull, some have no interest at all. i have seen staff sleeping with the head down to a restaurant-table. i really do understand when people are tired and need a rest but i don`t think this should be done in front of the guests. in your room you find a list about hotel rules and what you have to pay if you damage something (even for the provided drinking glasses 1 usd /each - never have seen this before. a drinking glass can break easily, but ok) you can not find anything about the services offered from the hotel. not very welcoming. often noise from a near karaoke bar, somtimes afternoon till midnight
the pool is nice and i think this place could be improved easily with a little more attention.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed for one night. After a month in Loas this is my only bad experience.Very unfriendly office staff.Pointed to the room and handed me a key. After handing them my passport they said you get it back when you leave then walked into the office and shut the door behind them. In the morning my toilet erupted with an airlook while in use spraying everything around the room. Yuck!! I understand these things can happen, but when I reported this to the office they seemed very aware of the problem but gave no opoligy at all. 2 hours later a man came and flushed it twice and said it was OK.
Nobody came to clean up the the stinky mess. I checked out with still no opoligy. I moved to Inthira where I got treated with the usual beautiful Loas hospitality.
This is sad as it is a nice place with a nice pool in one of the best locations in town.
If they got some decent reception staff with a bit of customer service this could be a great place.
Until then I think you can get a lot better value in this town.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kevin C
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Very easy to found,about 15mins walk to the noisy place,room are clean,we had river view room,nice view,about 40 us$ per night,but breakfast a bit poor if u want western food,no safe box in room so u have to leave ur things at reception.

• Stayed: July 2012