“Beautiful place to stay”
Review of Maylyn Guest House

Maylyn Guest House
Ranked #5 of 99 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We spent 2 nights here whilst in Vang Vieng, and it is so lovely - gardens are beautiful and bungalows are great - comfy bed and the lockable box for your valuables is very useful. Staff very helpful and willing to offer advice. Good food as well, and for the price, a total bargain! Nice to get away from the noise in the town and although a little walk away, it is well worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for the treehouse!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cat A
There are newer reviews for Maylyn Guest House

Reviewed December 14, 2011

I was very happy to have found Maylyn in VV (November 2011). Joe and his famliy and staff are very helpful, relaxed and the lovely peaceful surroundings are an ideal respite from the 'scene'. They do a special fish BBQ that was tasty too. What's more, upon my return to Chiang I realized I had left my laptop adapter in my bunglaow. Joe saved the day by promptly sending it me in Chiang Mai. I really appreciated his attention and help doing this so quickly. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Carlo L
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We spent three nights in November at Maylynh in Vang Vieng in a small stilt house. It was big enough for a double bed and a wardrobe, the attached bathroom and a small “balcony”. The accomodation was simple but really worth the money, we liked the place a lot. The people working there are very friendly and in a positive way interested in their guests. They helped us with finding a good route for our bike tour. For breakfast you can choose from the menu: a large variety for reasonable price. For us, the best thing was the location: away from the centre, where all the loud parties are going on, but in perfect walking distance, if you want to go there.

1  Thank ChMBK
Reviewed December 4, 2011

.. set in a beautiful garden, with nice staff and a wonderful kitchen that offers good food at fair prices. Especially the sandwiches were great after a few weeks of rice and noodles :)
Our room itself was pretty basic, no sheets so we used our own, but the bungalows looked very good (but already fully booked), and the shared bath was good. The bed was worn and gave way. Then again the room was very cheap.
The location was brilliant to us, away from the busy town, almost rural in setting, yet still only a walk away from the action. There are many relaxing little seating areas that are great for meeting other people.
If you want to see Vang Vieng without (or wih less of) the mandatory boozing and raving sessions, this is the place to go.

1  Thank PuffBarbie
Reviewed November 28, 2011

maylyn is the oase we were searching for during our trip through lao. settled over the river in a quiet lao typic neighborhood, we found a clean and cheap room to stay. there are also small bungalows available. maylyn is about a 10 min walk along the riverbank to the city center- but so you can escape from the party in the center. the stuff is very friendly, the owner and part of the stuff is from ireland, so english conversation is no problem. they also know the city and the people, so they easily were able to show us the hot spots, where to rent a scooter or tell you about local life- don´t be shy to ask. maylyn as a own little restaurant which sells breakfast (continental or lao style), pancakes, lunch, snacks, and not to forget- beerlao :-) quality and taste are very good, the prices local. laundray service is also available.
so we enjoyed our visit at maylyn, it was friendly, clean, save (they have a nightguard) and cheap.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

The rooms are basic but comfortable, at the end of the day they are very cheep so what do you expect. What really makes this place is the warm welcome from the hosts, the lovely grounds the property is set in and the social atmosphere, even the relaxed honesty book where you help yourself to drinks and write it in the book. They do a BBQ in the evening which is a great way to meet some people before heading out for the evening and the food was pretty good too. I see some people commenting that the owner is crazy, well he does have his fair share of opinions and conspiracy theories but i if you don't get him started he won't offend. Oh it should also be noted that there is a free foot bridge open in the dry season that takes you directly to the center of town.

Oh and Paul sorry for steeling the key to room 17 i will try post it back to you

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Alex-and-Jodie
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed in Maylyn GH for a night and got this very rude remarks from the host himself. I was very suprised as I have read in the previous reviews, how friendly and helpful he is. For me, he is just plain sarcastic and rude, with unpleasent kind of humor, cursing and saying some foul words for his own liking. I decide to check-out the next day but was so stupid to accidentally left my small purse in the room. I came back the next day to find that they did found the purse and returned it to me but with no money in it! They insisted that there is no money in the purse and the purse was actually thrown in the rubbish bin which I found to be ridiculous coz why would u pick-up something from the rubbish bin and keep in the counter, The staff were unhonest and told lies. They took the whole USD100 in it. Luckily I still had some money left or else.....But at that time, Mr Joe was good enough to asked and scolded his staff for the missing money.I knew it was my fault but then thinking about it, it is actually quite scary when the staff of a guest house actually took guest money.How to stay at such a place for a long time? This had left me with some really bad impression of this place. Other than that, the place is nicely tucked in a village and staff Paul was actually the best one, who helps me all the time. Thanks! Other than that, it was a nigthmare for me. I stayed in Champa Lao the next day. The lady boss was good and even let us share her laptop to transfer pictures from my SD card. Even better!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank W G
hobbit46, Owner at Maylyn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

well its strange some people think you're funny and helpful and some people think you are nasty
anyway to deal with what seems to be the real problem ie. her missing money.
the guest claims she left the purse in the room my staff claims she found the purse in the rubbish bin outside the room ... the guest claims the purse contained 100 dollars ..the staff claims the purse was empty ...is one of them lying ?? is there another explanation?
the guest asks quite reasonably why would we take something from the rubbish, well we take lots of things from the rubbish bins.. actually there is no garbage collection here and we are obliged to sort the rubbish. For a start glass bottles steel and aluminum cans, plastic water bottles are all recyclable then there are books magazines and even articles of clothing and shoes which are thrown away by the more affluent. Do you think a poor person here is not going to pick up any thing that appears to have value??
I think if my staff had stolen the 100 dollars [nice round figure that] she wouldn't have been so stupid as to admit that she had found the purse .The most logical thing would have been to deny all knowledge of the purse ..wouldn't it?? Instead she eagerly produces the purse.
The guest claims that I asked and scolded the staff for stealing her money yes I did ask them interrogate might be a better word I certainly did not scold them and I resent what that implies If I didn't believe that Nan stole the guests money why would I scold her??
I am very concerned in not having our guests losing their property or not falling off motorbikes, not running into the side of bridges, not getting arrested or falling down holes in caves none of us need those sort of problems and we've had all of that .and more .
We actually have lockable safety boxes in the rooms, we employ a night security man,
if you want you can give me or my wife your valuables to lock in our safe. I don't want to see people robbed it obviously reflects badly on us. I don't know what happened in this particular case but I think someone is lying but I dont know who.....
I just want to mention that on two previous occasions I set a trap for the staff .I placed a camera in one of the recently vacated rooms to see if it would be returned. It was on both occasions