“Probably one of the best views ever”
Review of Maylyn Guest House

Maylyn Guest House
Ranked #5 of 101 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 9, 2011

The reason why I would suggest to stay in MayLyn GH is the breathtaking view from the private wooden bungalows. It was one of the best I've ever had (for only 40,000kip, that's like almost nothing) and I stayed in a lot of places. Just stay on your little balcony, take a couple of beers and enjoy sunset. It is really amazing!! (see also our pics!).

The room is just a simple wooden bungalow, with a good safe and an attached bathroom (the one we had). There's no hot water, but if you want a hot shower, you can use one of the shared one. It's supersimple and clean.

Another reason to stay here, it is out of the touristy area which is a really good thing! Vang Vieng itself has amazing surroundings, but the city centre is loud and it's more like a party place although the tubing is fun!!

If you stay there, rent a motorcycle and do the 30km-loop to the caves and blue lagoon. It's really really nice!! (ask the owner, he'll help you).

The food is ok, don't expect something extraordinary.

And a last tip, take the footbridge. It's free (also possible with motorcycle) !

Have fun and enjoy the view!!

Only tip for the 'resort': a hammock (or 2) on the balcony would be so awesome!

Room Tip: Ask for a bungalow with a view!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JelDek

Reviewed April 22, 2011

Which is more than I can say for most of the other guesthouses in Vang Vieng. Maylyn is located about 15 minutes walk from the city centre. One must pass over a bamboo footbridge. There's another bridge farther away that has a 2,000 kip toll one way. If a tuk tuk drops you here, don't freak, just pay for one-way passage and use the other footbridge (free) for the remainder of your stay.

The basic bungalows and rooms are inexpensive - my partner and I paid 40,000 kip for dbl room with shared bathroom - and are surrounded by a lovely garden and look out over green fields surrounded by mountain. Service is attentive and as others have written the owner's a chatty character with interesting stories.

The downside is a lack of internet service which is no fault of the guesthouse itself but rather the location across the river. So this may well change in the future. Dining there could use improvement. The food we had was mediocre at best and priced a bit high compared to restaurants in town, but it would do if your stomach were growling. Also, sleep quality was low due to an obnoxious rooster that began hourly rooster calls at 1am. I dreamt of killing it with a sling shot. Bring earplugs just in case but perhaps not all bungalows/rooms are within hearing distance of the loud creature.

Tip: there's a fantastic sandwich lady at the top of the hill after crossing that bamboo footbridge on your way into town. She's the middle of 3 sandwich stands directly across from the tubing company.

All in all one of the more relaxing, beautifully surrounded guesthouses in Vang Vieng. There are countless guesthouses in town for the same price or cheaper but they lack charm, character, peacefulness - all those lovely things that seasoned travellers cherish.

Room Tip: rent a bicycle and bike to Blue Lagoon
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lilmontheroad
hobbit46, Owner at Maylyn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

hello well a number of things have changed since you were here first we do now have wifi
free WIFI for all ..second thing I think sleep quality has improved since the government shut down all those beastly late night bars [there are a few late night bars operating but not the same racket that we had endure as before] I think you must have been unlucky with the food I think our Laap for example compares well with anywhere ie 0urs is better and the portions are usually bigger here as for prices I think compared with any restaurant we are on the cheap side and a big bottle of beer lao is still only 10000kip in maylyn now 15000 in many bars and restaurants apart fronm that thanks for the review and do come back

Reviewed April 18, 2011

We stayed several nights at Maylin guesthouse, and had a great time. The room was good, the food was great and the service was excellent.

The guesthouse is located a ten minute walk from the city, it is quiet and located in a nice garden. Of course the rooster began to crow right outside the window at sunrise...but that's how it works in SE Asia. Bring your ear plugs.

The restaurant is the heart of the guesthouse. You have to walk through it when you come/go, and it's easy to get in touch with other guests. Once a week they have a fish barbeque, and you have to sign up for it during the day. It is really good!

While staying there we rented a bike and went to the Blue Lagoon, it was a really nice bike ride and a cooling swim.

I will also recommend the hot air balloon trip. It was so worth the money, and a really nice experience. The owner at Maylin can help you book it.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank SollenK
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I've been a bit slow to write this, its been just over 6 months since our glorious stay at Maylyn and we miss the place so much. Planned to spend 2 nights and ended up staying 2 weeks ! Fantastic hosts, unbelievable food, the most romantic accommodation and the friendliest atmosphere about the Dining/Bar area..... to top all this is the price..... so cheap! I cant wait to get back. Joe and his family are amazing. We spent 3 months travelling SE asia and Maylyn was the highlight of our trip

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PeteLyon
Reviewed March 10, 2011

We had heard that Vang Vieng was a hedonist paradise,and had planned to stay one night. On Lonely Planets always excellent advise, we happily found Maylyn, we stayed for five fabulous days. The owner Joe was a perfect host, the staff were wonderful and the food was excellent. Our rattan bungalow was amazing, so compact, yet so well designed. I have travelled extensively in South East Asia, and Maylyn will remain
my top recommendation for accomodation.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank freyaSouthAfrica
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Joe was great (and Irish not Australian), the rooms very authentic and clean. The gardens beautiful and well maintained and the food truly the best around. There are two ways over the river, one across a toll bridge which will cost 4000 kips per person and another across a free bridge with a nice walk down the side of the river.

Thank you to all the staff for a pleasant stay at a great price.

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank NickTomez
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stayed there for 2 nights, after the first night I asked for an extra blanket, ok they told me they will send somebody to bring it..good...we went tubing so I leftmost of the cash in my pocket in the room (I've counted it it was over 160) when we returned I had the blanket but (100 was missing from my pocket)
wouldn't go back

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ge2499
hobbit46, Owner at Maylyn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

This is an interesting one there is nothing to indicate that this person actually stayed here and I certainly knew nothing about it until I read about it.
but anyway I wrote to him twice to find out more in greater detail what happened. the second time he actually responded of course he couldnt tell me who he asked for a blanket .....or give me any other details except the 100 was 100,000 ..er kip that is
What I find curious is that if you ask us for for a blanket we will give you one we wont put it in your room .... we dont do that sort of room service .......
We do however have in the bungalows lockable steel boxes to store your valuables and you can use your own lock if you so wish .