“Great bedroom, smelly bathroom”

Vilayvong Guesthouse
Ranked #29 of 101 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

I can't complain much because the price was so cheap, but I absolutely can't stand dirty bathrooms. The receptionists were very helpful and spoke English well enough. The bedroom was very large and clean, and the view was stunning. The only reason why we stayed was because of the view. The bathroom smelled so bad that we kept the door closed and had to air out the room anytime we came back. My fiance is a chemical engineer and he says that the smell isn't sulphur - it's sewage. Something about the plumbing system not being updated. There were also ants all over the bathroom sink. Gross. Everything else was fine except for the bathroom!

They won't clean your room unless you hang the sign up outside your door, so if you want the room to be straightened up, then put up the sign. Not a big deal, but just an FYI. Also note that the door to the bathroom and the balcony both lock. My fiance pushed the little button to lock the bathroom door by accident, and had to go down to get the master key to unlock it. We kept the balcony windows open in case we locked ourselves out on the balcony.

Breakfast was fine. Eggs made to order and bread and jam. Basic, but definitely adequate.

We slept well since it was a couple of blocks away from the party places. Didn't hear any noise from the other rooms, except for when people pulled their doors shut. However, I wouldn't stay here again unless I had the great view to make up for the bathroom. We stayed in room 405.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Unfortunately our opinion doesn't match the general reviews on tripadvisor... note: we were in the bungalows, not in the guesthouse. Our bungalow was dirty: dust, cobwebs and dead insects all over the place. Bathroom totally wet (including toilet and toilet paper), yet covered in hairs. Room didn't get cleaned in 2 days, so no new towels or toilet paper. Couldn't use air con because it was inhabited by hundreds of ants. Also, the view is on Vilayvong guesthouse, no river or mountains to be seen. There was no use complaining: staff didn't speak a word of English.
Altogether: extremely disappointing stay!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was gonna stay here only one night, but after seeing the sunset from the balcony from my room in the 4th floor I had to change my plans, because the sunset here was seriously the most beautiful thing I ever saw (and I've been traveling many places (however the second evening the sunset wasn't as great, but still amazing of course)).
The rooms are otherwise nice, clean and spacious. But just choose this hotel for the view. No matter who you are and what you have seen and how little money you have. The money you pay to see the sunset from the balcony in this hotel will be worth the money.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Spent a couple nights here and enjoyed our stay, the rooms are simple and clean, the staff is friendly and helpful. The highlight of the place is the stunning views from our room (top floor), it is high enough to look over the buildings in front and you have stunning landscape of the river and mountains in the background. The location is just at the end of the main street so a few min walk to the restaurants and such but it is a nice quiet location.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room, the sunsets and clouds in the mountains at dawn are stunning.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

The room we stayed in was one of the bunglow no view 80.000 kip for fan or 100.000 kip with aircon
150.000 forth floor
staff unfriendly ,obnoxious , not even a smile have not experience this in our 2 weeks of traveling though Laos
Some understand more English than they make out when negotiating bargain hard make sure you know whats included eg: breakfast / aircon but be prepared to walk away there is plenty of friendlier places to stay
Would I stay here again defintly not they are milking the view

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The view from this hotel is just AMAZING anytime of the day!!! (On 4th floor rooms with balcony)
The only place that gives you the view of Vang Vieng: the river span, people rowing, cows being herded, people crossing the toll bridge, and Vang Vieng valley!! In the morning you can enjoy watching the fog drifting and in the evening, the sunset over 'Red Cliff'. I am recommending anyone to book this hotel if you can get a room on the 4th floor with balcony, best view in town guaranteed. (How do I know? Theres no other hotel is located perfectly located there to give you the view of the valley where blue lagoon is located with that height, plus I went up to the rooftop so Im 110% sure which I will talk about later on) You will thank me later. Dont expect much with breakfast, very small portioned and every morning I got 'rotten' butter for my bread so for this I would advice you to leave out the breakfast deal and eat elsewhere. Staff is very friendly and they will answer you with whatever questions you have. Room is very, may be overly spacious. Wifi signal is very weak though so you might have to use it in the reception area.

On the 5th floor of the hotel is a rooftop with balcony, but you must literally walk along the roof which is around 2 feet wide with no handles at all and no lights so GO AT YOUR OWN RISK and dont go if you consumed alcohol because if you misstepped then you come down all the way (obviously) and I dont want to be responsible! There is a small/sharp corner which is wet all the time from water tanks with those slippery algae or whatever so be extra careful (better if you observe it when the sun is not down first) Once you got there, though, you'll thank me (again), this is THE best spot you can take photos of Van Vieng and milky way at night (if you have the right equipments). Please be very careful.

Room Tip: 4th floor with balcony
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2013

one of the only accomodation places with high views over the river to the mountains - get a room on the second or third floor - no lifts but worth doing the stairs. very large rooms by asian standard - good hot showers, air con, tv, fan and fridge. good location, can walk to town centre in 2mins. big breakfast menu - would stay there again

Room Tip: ask for room with view of the river - cannot see the river from the bungalow rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends