“Amazing "Eco-Lodge" Experience”

Vang Vieng Eco Lodge
Ranked #43 of 99 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 22, 2010

The service at this Eco-Lodge was excellent from the beginning. As soon as we arrived we were welcomed immediately by the owner and shown to our room. The room had an amazing view of the river and was very spacious. The beds were extremely comfortable and were beautifully decorated with Lao Silk. The food was very delicious and authentic. I live in Vientiane and came to Vang Vieng with my girlfriend for a visit. She is Lao and enjoyed the food and the experience of the Eco-Lodge as much as I did. The Eco-Lodge is a bit out from the town which is great because you can avoid all of the late night FaIang noise. I was very surprised when they offered me some medicine when I had a terrible headache. The headache wasn't related to my stay or the hotel at all, but the hotel staff was VERY accommodating to me. They even delivered some of our meals when I wasn't able to leave the room. I would DEFINITELY return here. Amazing place, Amazing View. Excellent hospitality.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anglina
There are newer reviews for Vang Vieng Eco Lodge

Reviewed August 22, 2010

If you're looking to really get away from it all while visiting Vang Vieng, then the Eco-Lodge is for you. We paid $25/night for a bungalow with a back deck that overlooked the Nam Som River. Breakfast was included. Dinner was available for about $3.50/person. There is nothing around except for a small "village" that you walk through to get to the main road, which is about a 15 minute walk. There is a small store on the main road where you can buy water and other small supplies.

Drawbacks? First, the price. $25 is a lot in Laos. And compared to the guesthouses we stayed in in Vientiane ($18) and Luang Prabang ($30) the Eco-Lodge was VERY expensive for what they offer. Second, if you want to visit the town of Vang Vieng and you don't have a motorbike, you'll have to call for a tuk-tuk to pick you up. And since it's a 15-20 minute ride it costs 30,000 LAK (about $4)/person. So it cost us $8 each time we went into town and another $8 to return.

There's hot water in the bungalows but no A/C and no real ventilation, even with the overhead fan going and the windows and doors open, so there was no staying inside during the day (which was fine because we were out all day long), but the nights were mercifully cool. There are also a lot of mosquitos, being so close to the river, and sitting on the deck at sunset became a challenge. Bring your DEET!

For my wife, staying here was one of the highlights of our travels in Laos, an "authentic Lao experience." For me, I think I was caught up thinking: "We're paying $25/night for this?"

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AndyouandI
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We have just come back from a totaly wounderful trip to Laos, and the place we keep talking about is this little place out in the middle of now ware, it was so quit and peaceful, the hospitaliti off the staff was exceptionel, the food was the best we got in Laos and that says a lot. And it gave the therm from earth to table a wery dierect meaning they went out and pickt the herbs that they used in our food just outside the resturant.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Although not a true "Eco Lodge" this was a lovely little place on the Mekong that offered silence, serenity and beautiful butterflies! It is out of town so be prepared to pay for tuk-tuk's but well worth the extra transport to escape the takiness of Vang Vieng. The riverside restuarant made lovely food and it was quite amazing to sit and eat and watch the locals come down to the river to wash and do laundry. It made the experience far more authentic.
The breakfast was very good and the rooms spacious. The only downside was no air conditioning and no hot water, however a very effective ceiling fan and incredibly warm days meant neither of these were a major issue. The staff were friendly and helpful and becuase it was off-peak we paid very little for a room each (luxury!).

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I stayed here two nights and I would definitely stay here again. It is not an eco lodge in the traditional sense. The rooms were basic but clean and comfortable. The bathroom is separated from the bedroom by a thin partition only so not much privacy but that didn't bother us. It is about a 15 minute tuk tuk ride out of town but it was nice to get away from the town which is quite ugly. The eco lodge was quiet and relaxed, this place is right on the river and there was only one other couple and a family staying there when we were there. The villagers all come down to fish, clean, swim in the river so we got a taste of how the locals live. We hired a motorbike from the owner of the eco-lodge for a reasonable price so we could check out the tubing and have dinner in town, use internet etc. The food they serve in the restaurant was also cheap and tasty and the breakfasts, included in the price were also nice.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2010

This place is a gem. Its not easy to get to, but worth the trip. If you have a car or motorbike, then you will be in heaven! The bungalows are so nice, really well designed, I felt like I was staying in the swiss alps instead of in Laos! They were built so well, great deck overlooking the river below and amazing mountains in front of you, truely incredible! The bungalows were nicely designed with huge vaulted celings, and a nice bathroom, even with hot water! It was so peaceful out there, it was paradise! The location is a little isolated, but that is what I was looking for, so it was perfect! I took a cab , back in forth to town , but it was around 35, 000 kip each way, so that can add up if you dont have your own transportation. It was past a local village, which was a nice change from the party scene in Vang Vieng. The restaurant was good, the staff sweet, and the manager helpful and spoke great english. They even had a couple river tubes for us to float around the river in front. I just loved hanging out on my deck and admiring the amazing scenery. The beds were sooo comfortable, and one of the quietest nights sleep I had on my trip. There were a few visiting large Geckos and lizards , they wont hurt you, its their home too! :) Great Romantic spot just outside of town, less than 15 minutes! And I paid $20 for the best bungalow, included breakfast :)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elizacass
Reviewed January 31, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Echo Lodge for the first part of our honeymoon. We absolutely loved it! Here is a place where you can soak up the breath-taking scenery and enjoy seeing the local people do life in a way that is so foreign to us tourists. You go to bed and wake up to the sound of rushing water and are greeted every morning with the stunning peaks of Laos. It may be 7km out of town but it is well worth it if you like to escape the noise of Western living which seems to be taking over Vang Vieng (after all isn't that why we go to visit other countries?). You can hire a motorbike off the owner for US$8 and that will get you back and forth safely when you do want to get out in the town. The staff go out of their way to help. Our bike ran out of fuel one night and one of the staff on their night off drove past us and ended up coming back to help after he dropped off his girlfriend. He pumped fuel from his bike to fill ours so we could get home.

The owner is lovely and her two children adorable. They were always willing to help at whatever capacity. This is the place to go if you want to experience the best of both worlds. We both highly recommend you stay here!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple