“staffs were friendly and rooms decent but...”

Thavisouk Riverside Hotel
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Vang Vieng
Reviewed July 2, 2011

3 out of 5 rooms that we stayed had no hot water in the bathroom (hotel let us use other rooms that weren't occupied but, it was a nuisance)
at one point we didn't even have cold water
breakfast was pretty mediocre... but the staffs were friendly

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Thavisouk Riverside Hotel

Reviewed June 3, 2011

On the river and close to town centre. Lots of restaurants close by. Good breakfast selection. Friendly staff. Bungalows in need of a bit of tlc but nice place.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 25, 2011

TERRIBLE, i just dont know where to start. i have been in some bad hotels but could'nt be bothered to write about them, but this one takes the cake.
I stayed in Vang Vieng 3 nights, 2 nights at a cheap hotel smack in the middle of the town with no breafast for d/room 350baht, but my stay was exellent here had everthing i paid for, but my wife insisted on hotel by the riverside for our last evening, so we found this hotel, it offered wifi and everything plus my favorite, the buffet breakast, i would very gladly pay extra for buffet breakfast, (as i used to do in thailand). we booked the room, paid the 1000baht and decided to have breakfast here a day before, and what a breakfast, there was practically nothing there at all, something that was supposed to be orange juice tasted like highly sugared water with food coloring, what litle choice of food there was was absolutely cold, bread was cut up from a roll and heated on a bbq grill, no butter, and listen to this, i had to roll up my sleeve to reach for the jam that was in a plastic jar with a messy spoon in it otherwise my shirt cuffs would have jam all over them. these people know what good hotels charge for people, but have no idea at all about service, if i had not paid for the night in advance i would not come here. it was like that for the two mornings that i ate there,
the room itself was ok, clean, only the bathroom basin was too high, oh and if u like to take a shower, just jump in the river, its much less hassle, why, let me tell u. my partner showered in the morning before me, she can shower hot or cold, but i just haveto have hot water or stay dirty. but this time i was ready to make an exception, because there was no hot water, yes there was an instant electric water heater like all hotels but without water presssure or any water at all it will not work, what cold water there was just an occasional trickle. maybe good for a few seconds then no water at all. i was just able to wet my body but could not risk using soap, because i could be stuck in the shower with no water. need i say more! the first morning we had breakast here the toilets had no running water. so it appears to be a permanent feature of this hotel. and for my money, no running water and crummy breakfast, no way... the choice is yours, there are many good hotels with much cheaper prices, i know because i asked around, and i did not book in advance, we just walked in. i nearly forgot , the wifi is too weak to work in the bunglow we stayed in E10, which was not far from the hotel, but should have been boosted, i just think they werent interested in doing that , i thnk that they probably think they will not get repeat customers so why bother

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank memosyd
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We stayed here because our bus dropped us off in the parking lot, it looked nice and we didnt want to walk far with our luggage. They told us $30/night with breakfest and showed us a room. The room was cleaned for us within 30 mins. We had a large twin room. Beds were comfy. Bathroom was pretty good. Cable tv with just a few english channels. Water in the room. No complaints with the room. Like another poster said wifi could not be reached from the room and we were close to the lobby and still no signal. Another con is breakfast is only served till 9 am. We arrived at 8:30 we had to set our alarm to make sure we woke up on time which was annoying. The breakfast buffet had been wiped clean and only had crumbs left. They allowed us to order off the menu. We went to eat dinner at the restaurant - the staff spoke hardly any english and couldnt answer my questions about the food. We finally ordered brushetta, strawberry shake and pesto pasta and asked it be brought to the room as there was a huge group having a party in the restaurant with karaoke. When they brought the food it was horrible. They had been lazy and put the exact same sauce on the brushetta as the pasta which tasted like neither bruchetta or pesto. The shake also tasted like there was no real fruit in it.

We walked down the street and found 2 guesthouses with higher quality rooms and charm for less the price and moved the next night. There really is no reason to stay here, its a basic hotel and with so many nice guesthouses around that will make you feel much more at home, walk up the street.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2011

This hotel is pretty new and all rooms come with huge balcony where overlooking Song River. Friendly staffs, clean, and very quiet. We stayed in the main building for first night then moved to bungalow but we didn't like it. So we moved back to bungalow for the rest of our stay. However, the main hotel has no elevator. It is about 10 mins walking to town.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2011

The Thavisouk Hotel and Resort was given three stars by someone who obviously never stayed there. An attractive building and beautiful view do not alone make for any stars. It is all the little things that make a guests stay comfortable. The more comfortable the stay the more stars. It is my opinion, after 3 days in room B11, that the Thavisouk should only have 2 stars at best. The owners have failed to ensure that the management they have put in place are doing a good job with their guests and investment. The shoddy work and poorly trained staff should be their embarrassment.
While I booked through Agoda I checked other sites such as Tripadvisor and then Booking.com. On Booking the Thavisouk description says there is WIFI throughout the building. That is not true. There is only WIFI in the lobby. WIFI is very important to me and I would not have chosen the Thavisouk if I had known the truth.
But book it I did.
As I sat down to write this a nail in the cheap balcony chair caught my new pants and tore a hole. Sort of the way things have been here at the Thavisouk.
What I liked about the Thavisouk:
The room,B11, is large with two high beds and a nice sized bathroom. The shower had the best water pressure of any hotel I have stayed at. Of course it was about 4” to short. Why are the beds to high and the shower to low? The TV was OK.
What I did not like:
1.No wake up call. On my third day I had requested an 8am wake up call. The desk clerk seemed to understand. I woke up at 8:45am on my own. Even a one star can give a wake up call.
2.Very poor room lighting. There are 12 switches by the door and I could only figure out that 4 that worked. One switch turned on three lights in the first quarter of the room and one turned on the small florescent wall light by the bed. That was it for the lights that worked in the room. Another switch turned on a light in the bathroom and another turned on an exhaust fan. There were two lights in the bathroom that did not turn off. Then there was a poorly installed switch and an outlet in the bathroom that had tape over them. I never did figure out what they were for.
3.No table lamp by the bed. It was good that the two lights in the bathroom never turned off because otherwise I would have had to walk from the switches by the door to the bed in the dark. When I asked for a table lamp I was told by the night desk clerk that there weren't any available. Duh!
4.Poor housekeeping. The bathroom walls had soap scum on them and a spiders web on the bathtub wall about shower head high. There were long black hairs on the sheets on the bed.
5.The mini bar was empty. Again Duh! A hotel does not make money off an empty mini bar and a guest has to go out to get something to drink.
6.No luggage rack.
7.Cushions on the hard wooden slat chairs would be nice.
8.The cross brace on the balcony railing shows poor workmanship and management acceptance of poor workmanship.
9.The hot water pot with no coffee or tea. Definitely not the mark of a 3 star hotel.
10.The caulk around the tub and sink in the bathroom was so dirty that it looked like mold. Also, the missing caulk along the side of the tub is going to cause problems in the future. Shoddy workmanship.
11.The empty elevator shaft The very least they could do is put up a barrier to prevent people from falling into it. A three star would have an elevator.
12.The hotel closes at 11:30pm. What's up with that? A 3 star that closes up before midnight? I don't think so.
So all in all I was pretty much unimpressed with the Thavisouk Hotel and Resort starting with the lack of WIFI as advertised. Because it is a new hotel I know that it is going through a shakedown period so maybe in a year or so it will be a true 3 star, but it has a long way to go.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank danolenarz
Reviewed May 4, 2010

In VV there are the Thavisouk hotel ( this one), the Thavisouk resort (bungalows in front of this hotel) and the Thavisouk guest house, a budget place in the middle of town. Reading the reviews above, some people have confused the three.

The hotel was completed in early 2010 but had some rooms open during construction last year. Now it is complete, it is very nice and at $35 per night compares favourably with some other similar standard hotels like Vansana which is $40 and upwards. It is owned by the same people that have the nearby bungalows by the river, which have been completely rennovated in late 2009 - the balconies were starting to get tatty before that. If the riverside bungalows here and at nearby Thavonsouk and Ban Sabai are full, this is a good option.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple