“Got Ripped Off on the Last Day, Very Loud too!”

Grand View Guest House
Ranked #55 of 101 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Paid 120,000kip ($14.50 USD) up front for the first night. Then decided to stay one more night. So we paid the next day. The rooms were good clean enough and staff was good enough. The room was on the river so at night it was loud because of the bars on the island. I mean I had to leave the TV on all night to drown out the sound. The day we left upon the check the owner claimed we owed for 2 nights. I looked for my receipt gave it to him and he pointed that it was the receipt for one night and that we stilled owed. Even after explaining the situation he wouldn't have and was very rude about it. We couldn't leave until we paid because we booked our bus out through them. I found the other receipt later on. My advice keep all your receipts handy at this hotel you will need them we are not the only ones they had tried to rip off.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 24, 2009

Stayed three nights with a room overlooking the river for $18 a night. Beautiful clean room with balcony. We didn't pay for AC (extra $4) because it wasn't needed. The staff was great. I'm surprised by the negative reviews.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2009

I’m sorry to have my first review be a bad one but this place is unacceptable. I have traveled around all of Asia on several occasions including to countries much more improvished than Loas and have never had such horrible service and accommodations.
The rooms were very dirty, splattered bugs on the wall, mildew and dirt in the bathroom and to top it off the A/C, that I paid for ,did not work and they would not change my room. I would just pay a bit less and stay at another guest house, friends of mine have told me they had a far different experience in Vang Vang. The only thing that made up for this room was floating down the river drinking beers all day.
Pick a different place.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 24, 2009

The staff here were very friendly, answered our many questions with a smile. we had a street fronting room, only because we didn't want to pay the extra few dollars for the river views. yes this g/h is noisy at night but any accomm on this road will be as the bars are all very close by. rooms were acceptable for cleanliness, no the place doesnt cool down at night so a/c is essential, tv reception was not good, no other complaints. hosts were helpful after my serious accident, which finished my trip and saw me returned home via 2 hospitals!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2009

Right in the middle of all the action. One of the quietest rooms, but still very noisey until 3.30am. Room basic but clean. Price 80,000 per night, 150,000 for airconditioning. All reasonable. Suggest air conditioning as you won't sleep any earlier without it - too noisey to open windows. Paid the manager up front 80,000kip for one night, on checkout his staff tried to charge us again claiming that we hadn't paid. If you're prepared to deal with a rather rude and abrupt man for a good price then stay here, but don't expect good service.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2008

We stayed here for three nights. It was pricey enough, at 140,000 a night for a room without a view of the river, but it was a nice enough room, and we had a balcony over the street. It was an aircon room, with bathroom but no tv. Location was excellent, as we were right in the middle of everything, yet it wasn't noisy at night. The staff were very friendly, even though their english wasn't great. I'd recommend staying here for anyone who's going to VV, although there is much cheaper options available.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed June 29, 2008

The rooms here seem to be a step up from the average Vang Vieng guesthouse, and in May 2008 were priced at $7-$10 per night. I was quite impressed by the quality of the accomodation for the price, and the guesthouse owners were very welcoming and friendly.

Two warnings, though: all hotels in Vang Vieng are pretty relaxed and sometimes their bookkeeping isn't the best; so, if you prepay for your stay, make sure to either get a receipt or actually watch them mark your payment in their books, just to avoid confusion at check-out. Also, the rooms at the Grand View that overlook the river have amazing views, but the fact that the bulk of the nightlife in Vang Vieng is on the river makes for a noisy night if you want to sleep before 2am. For those who aren't in town to party, a city-view room is better.

• Stayed: May 2008