“Super clean Guesthouse with super comfy beds.”

Grand View Guest House
Ranked #52 of 96 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
UK
“Super clean Guesthouse with super comfy beds.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

I stayed here on the recommendation of a friend & was not disappointed.
I had a double room with a HUGE bed & hot shower bathroom on the ground floor, just off the lobby, for 100,000Kip a night. The room also had a TV with heaps of English language channels and I had a balcony with a view of the river.
The room & bathroom were both really clean. There were some marks/stains on the sheets & curtains but they were clean. The bed was the comfiest I've slept in in 4 months!!!
The family who run the guesthouse were friendly & helpful and the attached travel agency is convenient. Though their mini-mart prices are a bit steep! But that can be said about most of the shops in Vang Vieng.
There is some building work going on next door but they don't start until 8:30ish & it never disturbed me. Same for the 'island' bars. I could hear some of the music but only faintly & it didn't keep me up.
The location of Grand View is excellent, right in the heart of Vang Vieng. All in all a great place.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you need wifi in your room ask fora room on the ground floor just off the lobby.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jo_thomson

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

I stayed here 6 nights with another friend and had a comfortable stay. Room was in a good location, clean, fairly spacious with a good sized balcony and had wifi in room, AC and cable TV for 150 000 kip. We stayed on the side facing the road which was cheaper than the river view rooms but still good. We didn't have any problems with the management who were always helpful. Although our room didn't get cleaned while we were staying there it wasn't a big problem to us

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

Imagine 8am in the morning after a heavy binge drinking only to be woken up by the sounds of both construction and roosters in the adjacent lot. Yes, a rooster farm inhabits the adjacent lot next to your window. If that doesn't give you a migraine, then the sawing of rebar and men yelling loudly at each other will.

The hotel is in a great location, stumbling distance back from the island (where all the bars are located) and steps away from the tube renting company. However, there are a dozen hotels/Guesthouses that are along the same road. Customer service was non-existent and our room wasnt cleaned after the first day. Needless to say we switched to Mountain View guesthouse. An infinitely better hotel. We stayed there for the rest of our week in Vang Vieng.

Overall, nice room and hotel itself (no wifi in rooms), but the construction and rooster farm was too much. Stay away from this place or you'll regret it the next time you're hung over!

• Stayed January 2012

Travelers are raving about these Vang Vieng hotels

Vientiane, Laos
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stayed here one night and found it to be good for the money - a new hotel, clean, cable TV, and small private balcony looking out to the river. The front rooms with the view were 150,000kip, 30,000 extra for AC.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Montevideo, Uruguay
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

I was 3 days the last week in GRANDVIEW guesthouse, have a nice view, BUT IS NOT RECOMENDABLE, the manager is oen of the worst personal i talked, I have two inconveniences ( exchange rate and cleaning room ) .... and he only laugh and talk in laos language. The view is nice with balcony ( is the more expensive room ),

My recomendation ? I SUGGEST NOT USE THIS GH. you have many places here with frendly people.

Here you not have good lobboy or place to drink something , conect at internet. I need go to the pub beside, becauase the internet is extremely slowly.

Enjoy the places is very nice, the night is with good bars and restaurants. If you can choice another GH, this is expensive and now i read another coments and many had this inconvenience...

Room Tip: I sugguest no choice this GH,if you like > WITH BALCONY floor 4.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

Unlike some of the other reviewers I didn't have any issues with the management. They did my laundry OK, kept my valuables in the safe and were good about warning against police scams. Night time security is a joke, so I kept the key to myself. As long as you behave sensibly I think it's a great place to be.

The room was good, lot's of space, great bed and good tv. Bathroom was good, but they won't clean it during your stay. You have your own balcony and a magnificent view if you're OK to pay the extra 20k kip for a river view.

I loved it and stayed for six nights. Great value

• Stayed September 2011
Winnipeg,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

We really liked Grand View but we didn't have any issues with the managers either. In fact, I don't really remember our interactions with them all that much, so I will just stick to reviewing the room itself.

Room was large, bright and clean with an air con that worked exceptionally well, tv and hot water. We also payed more for a riverside room and the view was fantastic.
The rooms were a bit on the expensive side, but we stayed in a @#$@ hole the night before (i wish i remembered the name!) so we decided to splurge for a couple nights here. Now, when I say expensive, keep in mind i mean for Laos. This is a flashpacker hotel, not a backpacker hotel.

The hotel also had complimentary coffee in the front foyer which seems like not a big deal, but it was the first time (and maybe the last?) we had seen this in SE Asia and we appreciated it. A lot.

We would def. stay here again if we came back to Vang Vieng.

Room Tip: Pay more and get a room with a view!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends