Firstly, this is a briliant hotel with superb service from a wonderful staff. The location, on a whitesand beach at the edge of a lagoon lined with coconut palms is the quintessential paradise. More of this later. However, there are a few things that visitors need to be aware of.
1) Free internet is available in the Poolbar, Cavendish Lounge and Restaurant. The speed is poor 1MB at best. The hotel offers an internet upgrade to your room for around £65 for your stay so you would think that room internet would be far superior to that of the public areas. It's not. We only got around 200k! We asked the techies to look at this and after some investigation which included having the IT manager in our room trying to work it out with the service provider, they declared that there was nothing they could do! We had the package removed from our bill. What's odd though is that whether or not you subscribe to the package, you can pick up internet from other rooms even if you haven't logged on. (Still ridiculously slow!)
2) Beware of the advertising. All advertisers seem to use a room picture of a junior suite looking out on to the sea. That is not representative of the "deluxe" room. Deluxe rooms are also charged depending upon the view. Views also vary greatly from pool, gardens, beach etc. No complaints though of the room which was very clean and well maintained.
3) If you want to tip and need cash, try to get it before you get to the hotel. The hotel charges 10% comission
4) The restaurants are open-air and the local birdlife are adept at raiding the breakfast tables as soon as your back is turned. They also fly in and out of the Annabella kitchen. A cat also roams freely areound the eating areas.
5) According to the hotel, there are 22 TV channels. The TV gives you the option of selecting all the programmes in a certain language. So, choosing English, you are presented with a foreign news channel, BBC World, a couple of kids channels showing the same films every night, some of which are in French and 5 other channels, all dedicated to sport. In short, the TV is pointless!
However, I would whole-heartedly recommend this hotel as the pros far outweigh the cons.
If you like spas (and I don't) the setup is excellent. The grounds are immaculately maintained and the staff could not be more helpful. They make your stay as comfortable as possible. Nothing is too much trouble.
We went at the start of the low season and the hotel was running at around 25% capacity. This made the whole experience very quiet and relaxing. The pictures on this page a represenative of the experience so I won't add duplicates.
Just a couple of recommendations:
1) Splash out on the Chef's Table experience where the head kitchen chef dedicates an evenening to a couple. You decide the type of cuisine you want and it is prepared and cooked in front of you. It costs about £60 per person but the food and experience is to die for.
2) Look carefully at upgrading to the all inclusive package. Extras are ridiculously expensive - a bog standard bottle of wine can easily cost £40.
3) If you fancy excursions, hire a cab by the hour and just tell the driver of your requirments. This is cheaper than "managed" excursions and you have the freedom to come and go as you please.
Hope this helps - you will love this hotel (despite the long and bumpy ride from the airport).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Wellness Resort offers a variety of luxury accommodation in a discrete village design with 20 different villas of 6 or 8 rooms. 158 rooms and suites have beautiful sea views or river views with floor to ceiling French windows, private balconies or verandas. Heritage Le Telfair is a member of Small & Luxury Hotels of the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Orbitz so you can book your Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heritage Le Telfair Golf And Spa Resort
- Heritage Le Telfair Golf Hotel Bel Ombre
- Le Telfair Hotel
- Hotel Le Telfair
- Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort Mauritius/Bel Ombre