“Heritage Telfair - manager best I've ever met”

Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Bath, UK
“Heritage Telfair - manager best I've ever met”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Start at the beginning; we flew Emirates business class which entitled us to a limo service from Bath to LHR. The service was 'spot on' and well worth the £50 (£44 + tip) supplement each way.
The flight was great although the stop at Dubai necessitated a change of terminals which was a bit of a bore.
The Telfair hotel is very nice and definitely more up-market than the Heritage Awali, which is the sister hotel next door. The latter looked tired by comparison. We had a beach front suite (room 102) which was super and opted foe the all Inclusive "gourmet bliss" package which was well worth the extra cost in that we had to worry very little about F&B. Having said that we still managed to spend over £1000 in extras (8 spa treatments, 6 golf buggies etc) but it was our anniversary and was our choice (and we thought it well worth it). All the staff were brilliant and the manager (Stephan Lagesse) was one of the nicest and most accommodating hotel managers we've ever met. The day of our anniversary he arranged a special table on the beach at the Gin'ja and we enjoyed a fabulous lobster dinner with champagne and a very nice Sauvignon Blanc.

The restaurants are all great: Gin'ja, Chateaux, Annabella's, Infinity Blue to name but four we enjoyed.I would most certainly recommend this hotel. If I had to make a critique, and believe me it was hard to find fault, in our second week we had a family with three rather energetic and quite vocal children next door and maybe I am getting old but it might be better to put families in areas of the hotel where those on honeymoon or anniversaries can enjoy a bit of quiet first thing in the morning.

We did visit the Dinarobin (where we sent our honeymoon 10 yrs ago) and were given freedom to wander wherever we liked so we took in the entire facility. We were extremely impressed at the incredible newness/ambience we observed, only to be told it had undergone a £9M refurbishment 2 yrs ago. It really looked super yet they only had 30% occupancy I put it down to the fact that a number of new hotels have sprung up with on-site golf. In the afternoon we visited Le Paradis and played 18 holes but the course was not as good as the Heritage and we were told it now ranks about 3rd or fourth on thew island as you also have the Heritage, Four Seasons Anahita, Le Touessrok, Belle Mar Plage, Tamarina and possibly the Saint-Geran.

We would definitely go back

Room Tip: Mauritius is not cheap but it is as close to Paradise as you are going to get. we were advised NOT t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank WidcombeWanderer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We arrived and the bell rings... everyone rushes to greet you. A Beautiful entrance from the lobby with stunning views of the pool and beach. We sat down with a welcome drink whilst checking in then shown to our room. We stayed in a deluxe ocean view and were very impressed with the standard and size of the room with lots of space for the 2 of us. We also had a balcony looking out onto the Ocean. These rooms come with either double or twin beds. The building is a stunning cream colonial style.

We opted for the AI plan or "Gourmet Bliss" as they call it. For us this definitely worked out good value as drinks and food can be expensive. This included champagne, premium drinks, soft drinks and food. You can eat at the Awali and the C beach club but there are restrictions. The Domaine de Bel ombre stamp is placed next to the items for you to identify them and you always have to sign your bill which was quite nice as it was zero!

Breakfast is served at Annabella’s - Telfair.

For lunch the options you have are:

Le Palmier – Le Telfair
Cavendish – Le Telfair
Club House – Heritage Golf
Cyan – C Beach Club
Coast - C Beach Club
Infinity Blue – Awali

For dinner the options you have are:

Annabella’s (no booking required)
Balafon Buffet – Awali (booking required)
Infinity Blue A la carte – Awali (booking required)
Cyan – C Beach club (booking required)
Le Chateau de bel ombre (booking required)

Your Mini bar is replenished once daily with selected items and they will arrange a picnic lunch for you if you are out for the day. Drinks are served in the bar from 11am - 11 pm (selection of local & imported drinks inc selected wines & champagne by the glass in all bars and restaurants within the Domaine) Loved it!!

We had a lovely meal at Ginja which serves pan asian. We were given a credit of 1000 RUP pp but drinks were still on the GB plan. Highly recommended.

I noticed a lot of families here so if you have honeymoon couples looking for something quiet I wouldn’t stay here. Lots of water sports to choose from and we had no problem finding sun loungers even at lunchtime/afternoon. Wi-Fi is comp only in the public areas lobby/bar/pool but chargeable in the rooms (400 RUP per hour and packages at 2500 RUP or 3500 RUP)

The Spa was very nice and they will personalise your treatment depending on what you are looking for.

I really enjoyed the Cavendish Bar in the evenings. Every night there was some entertainment like a band or pianist/singer. The service here was excellent. The staff would often come to your table to take your order and check if you wanted another drink before closing.

I also enjoyed the C Beach Club – perfect place to chill out with 2 restaurants and a pool. When we were there they had an all day beach party playing house and techno. On this day you had to pay an entrance fee and F&B was also chargeable. Apparently whenever there is an outside party this happens.

Hotel has an excellent pool and beach/pool side restaurant which serves lunch so you can eat and drink all day relaxing.

The only negative with the hotel was the lack of information/communication. We felt the AI plan should have been explained fully when we arrived. When we would ask staff what restaurants were open (as you have to pre-book dinner) or where we could eat at on part of our AI plan no one seemed to know/understand us which I found rather annoying. We were not informed about the beach party nor advised it was chargeable etc. I only knew about this as I had been informed about it from a friend before I left.

After all said and done we had a really enjoyable stay. I loved the rooms and pool area. The hotel has a great atmosphere about it and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Book Gourmet Bliss if you like a drink!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank woodsywoodsywoodsy
Modena, Italy
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is an excellent choice, starting from the moment you arrive and are invited to rest and relax in the beautiful lobby area with a cold tea to refresh you, and until the very last moment you spend on the island. My eyes never got tired of admiring the gorgeous low-rise buildings and the amazing land- and seascape all around us. Staff is so very welcoming and attentive! Chose a room directly on the beach if you can, or go swimming in the pool just before closing time, and feel like you own the place. We even saw a mongoose one early morning crossing our small garden/beach, while we were contemplating the calmness of sunrise.
A big choice of high quality restaurants for your meals, in 8 days we did not manage to try them all...
Do not select this destination if you are looking for crowds and nightlife.
I wish I could go back again right away!

Room Tip: We stayed at ground floor directly on the beach and it was gorgeous: no worry with insects or the li...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Paola B
Denmark
Reviewed March 20, 2013

After a long and quite exhausting flight we were welcomed to our room facing the swimming pool and Indian Ocean. The trip from the airport to hotel took 50 minutes and cost us 1900MUR (February 2013).The first impression of the room was a bit strange as it felt dark and not very cozy. The colonial style and dark furniture were not our favorites, but we chose this hotel for the location and facilities.

The first huge disappointment was the fact that WIFI was only available in the room at extra charge of apr. 2500MUR pr. week, which is quite a big extra charge. Free access to WIFI is available at Cavendish bar, but no dedicated pc available. However, if you stay in a room close to the bar, you might get Internet access in the room if you go to Cavendish, login and then return to the room without logging out.

Be aware that electricity cuts happen quite often, but you might only notice them if you spend much time in the room as they fix the problem fast. The Internet connection can also be a bit unstable.

Another point of criticism is that only few TV channels are available, most of them showing sports and cartoons. One British news channel is available, otherwise nothing to see.

From the moment we arrived, we noticed that hotel is rather big and has a lot of facilities, so it took us few days to find the best places to eat and what activities to try. The hotel does not state clearly that the only restaurants you can have dinner at if on half board are Annabellas and Balafon, in the rest of them you either have to pay full price or get a credit of 1000MUR pr. person. The drinks are very expensive and even the price of water varies: at Annabellas it costs 160MUR, at Cavendish 120, at Balafon 90 and at the village supermarket a bigger bottle costs 17MUR- WHAT A DIFFERENCE. You do get a bottle of water daily, but in such a heat it is not enough. So, if you have a sweet tooth and need a lot of water, you can take a return tour by taxi to the village supermarket for apr. 600MUR.

We found the food (breakfast and dinner) at Annabellas the best and also ate lunch at Le palmier a couple of times, which was nice. After few days you do get tired of same breakfast choices and the fact that no exotic fruits are offered does not make it any better, however the food tastes fine and is of good quality. However the burger we ate at Beach Club bar had no taste whatsoever.

If you want to do the most out of your trip, do visit the spa and the activity club as soon as possible. The massage was wonderful and the spa pool was very relaxing and not crowded. We got an impression that few people knew that it was open for all and not only the visitors who booked spa treatments.

The hotel does offer some free activities, but you need to get the schedule from reception or activity team. We did take the advantage of free tennis lesson and golf session for beginners. The Golf trainer was really good and we enjoyed it. Do not underestimate how difficult it might be to try water skiing. If you never tried it before you might have to get some lessons, which are not free.

The hotel area is very green and staff does take good care of it. The room service and cleaning are also very efficient, though sometimes we felt like we could do with less cleaning then twice daily.

By fixing the above mentioned critical points and offering more clear/accessible info on dining, activities and special events (eg. culture evening, Indian evening, etc) the hotel would really position itself better and match the 5 star criteria.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the beach can be at a distance from the main facilities, but there are few rooms th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HolidaymakerDenmark
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I spent 2 nights here in a junior suite as a work trip. This was the first of 3 hotels we stayed and was wowed from the time we arrived. The hotel itself is in a colonial style and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Upon arrival we were checked in promptly and then went for a drink at the Balaclava bar (there is also a full snooker table there) this is a good place to chill and just have a drink. The hotel also offers an amazing golf course where we went to try our hand at golf - i think they had to change the driving range after we left as we hit more grass than balls !!!! the golf course is one of the best on the island and features an 18 hole and 9 hole golf course also you can do night golf which truly looks amazing. We also used the spa and found it reasonably priced and it is a seven colours spa

The night club there is at the C beach club with a pool in the same area as it is also used during the day. This is a must do if you are there as it is an amazing set up. We also did a cooking class in the chef’s kitchen and learned something about Mauritian cuisine this is also a great experience but carries a small additional cost. We did try as many restaurants as possible and couldn’t fault one as they were all amazing.

Would I go back – for sure if it was with just my wife and if it was with the family I would stay at Awali - you can use the facilities of both

Room Tip: Junior suite is he way to go or one of the full suites
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank allistercole
HeritageResorts_Mgmt, Resident Manager at Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share a review on our hotel - Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort.
We are happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, even thought it was a short one and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon at the Domaine de Bel Ombre.

Faithfully,

Stephan Lagesse
Resident Manager
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Le Telfair is situated on the southern coastline (a noted warm windy area according to our taxi driver) of Mauritius .The resort is surrounded by verdant foliage and beautiful flowers and upon arrival the greeting was very sincere. The overall impression I immediately experienced was one of a colonial plantation owner's residence. The rooms are very well appointed with a very comfortable bed and an excellent en-suite (The best shower I have ever experienced).
The whole resort is beautifully managed and is very clean with obliging staff in all areas of the hotel.
The exhorbitant extra we paid per person for the 'Gourmet Bliss Experience' was an utter waste of money and quite frankly the evening dining experience was spoilt having to decipher which choices were HB (Half Board) which choices were GB and which courses (the majority) were at extra cost. I never thought the description of the individual courses got close to the expectation, so for me and our friends (6 in all) dining was very below par.

Breakfast, however, was outstanding with multi choice freshly cooked food and all types of fresh fruit, cereals and juices etc. (That standard was what we were expecting for the evening Gourmet Bliss Experience)

The golf was right up there with a great challenging course in excellent condition and stunning views; I would certainly recommend it .The facilities in the clubhouse are excellent with very helpful staff, but unfortunately the lunch menu is very restricted for GB subscribers.(Why?)
Would we travel to Mauritius again, the answer is yes. Would we stay at the Le Telfair again and the answer is NO, but it would be YES if GOURMET BLISS meant all inclusive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank sandy w
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have just come back from a glorious break at the telfair and the biggest compliment I can give it is that I have not been able to think of any serious faults and coming from me that is exceptional. We were welcomed with a cocktail by anita who did a great job helping my wife plan my birthday surprises and also upgraded our room to a sea view. Thanks Anita for your efforts and support and my chocolate Fudge cake.

Before I write up my review let me first clear up the main questions for the men coming:
* Smart evening trainers (brown diesel / sketchers) are fine in the evening as well as polo shirts.
* full length trousers are required
* No ironing board or iron in your room so bring a travel iron.
* wifi is free at the main bars but in your room you must pay for it.
* you can book two golf tee times ahead of arrival and its worth doing as its always busy. That said as a single player I always got fixed up.

So onto my review:

Grounds and the resort:
Style is French colonial and the rooms are large spacious and clean. Your room gets cleaned during the day and then again tidied up when your bed is turned down every evening. No complaints here at all with room and facilities. The telfair is bright and felt less busy than the awali that seemed darker due to terracotta colours and was also more crowded. We never found it a problem finding chairs by the ocean or pools at the telfair as it has nearly 10 times as much beach front as the awali. Apart from the beach the pools are quite traditional in design but refreshing all the same. The awali has more interesting pools with palm trees in them so it depends on your taste here.

Food, Drink and the restaurants:
First question you should ask yourself is how much will I drink and do I want to try more restaurants across the hotels. If your a drinker and you want to try more than one restaurant I cannot over state how important it is to upgrade to AI package "gourmet bliss" before you leave as it cannot be done on arrival. This includes room mini bar, champagne, cocktails, basic spirits, beers, coffee, ice creams and lunches over all the main restaurants. If you consider the following prices then that should help you decide (note you do drink and eat less in the heat)
* spritis & cocktails £8 to £10
* wine £10 glass min 40 a bottle
* lunch £15-25 a head food only
* soft drinks / coffee £3
* meals follow similar expensive pattern outside half board restaurants as well with starters about and deserts each costing £10 and the main course around £15 - 20

We were AI and it took all the cost stress out of things and I think if we had gone half board we would have broken even on drinks but would not have had the restaurant choices we did so I'm happy with our decision. Signing a bill for zero rupees is quite refreshing. A word of caution you do need to check what is all inclusive though as although they are marked on the menus some bars have different selections and what is free in one may not be in another. The c bar has best cocktail selection though by a long way.

I'm not going to review each restaurant as they were all nice but some you do need to book up for. My favourites in no order were:
Le chateau - Great steak
Infinity blue for lunch at awali
Ginja ( they do not advertise but there is still a selected gourmet bliss menu here we only found out on last night as we believed you only got a credit)

I advise you have a look at the menus as they do change each day and then go where your taste takes you. If your half board your much more restricted and although there is a different menu each day but if your a picky eater like me you may struggle on odd nights. The food at telfair always comes nicely presented and although plain at times it was more than acceptable. The breakfast buffet offers a good selection of hot and cold breakfast from your bacon and eggs, omelettes to fruit / cheese and ham croissants.

Service is mixed and I think it depends on the time, place and number in your party. We were just 2 people and we always dined around 8:00. this seemed to beat any rush and I cannot complain about the service as food was always prompt. I did notice for some other groups that it was slow but heh your on holiday. It's worth noting all the restaurants are cooled by fans and are affectively open air so they can get hot in the evening. It would have been nice to have had some places to eat with air con but it did not cause us any issues. When you get drinks from the bar they will be brought to your table or sun lounger during the day which is nice but they group up drinks so service can be slow even when there seems more staff than orders. Whether food / drink was delivered slow or not the service was still with a smile.

Watersports:

There is a good selection of sports on site as part of the hotel. You do need to book the glass bottom boat and snorkelling ahead as if you roll up on the day they are nearly always full especially the morning trips and there is only two trips out a day. You can swim to the reef yourself but you need to cross the water sport (jet ski) zone and the strong currents make it a hard swim as well. So use the boat :-)

My one word of warning is that there is a strong tidal current in the bay. Nothing too bad for swimming but more increased around the coral. You have to be very careful snorkelling as you can easily drift into the coral and its sharp and cuts can scar. Just staying to the edge can be difficult as one wrong turn can mean swimming against current to get out. We tried once but decided risks were to high to venture out again and I'm a strong swimmer so we just did the glass bottom boat for a second trip.

Excursions

There are a few day trips:
* dolphins
* walk with lions
* quads

We tried to book for dolphins but surprisingly did not get enough interest to fill a boat. To go by yourself is around 6000Rs (£130). We did however do the quads and this is a fabulous 3 hours of driving through sugar cane fields, up the hills and a through a few streams. You get to stop three times at the hunting lodge, top of the hills behind resort for those scenery shots and also to swim in a waterfall but you get plenty of driving time. Quads were easy to drive and risk of injury is low if you are sensible and don't race / try to skid around. Very few technical sections but those were nothing more than few hills or slopes to negotiate. This activity I can fully recommend as a break away from the sea and sand. If you driving the engine can get hot which is why they advise long trousers but they are not essential.

Golf

I am an avid golfer off 6 and I can say this is a nice well kept course with plenty of tee selections. I took on the gold championship tees one day and that was fun but very hard work. White are the best compromise for the low handicapper with blue for those with less length or wanting shorter par 3s.Take plenty of balls as when the wind is up it gets tough to keep the ball where you want it. Fairways are wide enough but there is water in play on a lot of holes. 220 over water on a par 3 can quickly gobble up your pro v's. Also if you miss the fairway or first cut you then tend to go into sugar cane style plants and finding a ball there is well impossible.

Unfortunately the only gripe I have is that after rain the back nine does not drain well on a couple of holes and they frequently close it to carts forcing you to walk in the heat of the day and that really makes concentration and enjoyment difficult. Its always a difficult decision and whilst I understood the course managers reasons they felt weak given the flooding on the front nine being almost as bad and carts being in play there because of the hillier nature of that 9 holes.

To the hotel: Invest in a cart path down the side of 10, 11 and 14 so we can enjoy our golf please! The investment on return or lost cart fees would soon make this a simple decision.

Well that's it nothing more I can think off. I hope you have found this helpful and enjoy your holidays be it at Awali or Telfair. Both are great options however I would always pull for telfair first if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms are a little out of the way (ask for an upgrade if special occasion and they will tr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
21 Thank acfoster
HeritageResorts_Mgmt, Resident Manager at Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking time to share a review on our hotel.

We would like to express our sincere gratitude for your comments which truly helps us for our process of continuous improvement. We are also happy to read that you have in all enjoyed your experience at Heritage Le Telfair.

Looking forward to welcoming you back at the Domaine de Bel Ombre .

Warmest Regards,

Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Tamassa
Tamassa
#1 of 6 in Bel Ombre

Been to Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!