“Spent 2 amazing nights here”

Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I spent 2 nights here in a junior suite as a work trip. This was the first of 3 hotels we stayed and was wowed from the time we arrived. The hotel itself is in a colonial style and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Upon arrival we were checked in promptly and then went for a drink at the Balaclava bar (there is also a full snooker table there) this is a good place to chill and just have a drink. The hotel also offers an amazing golf course where we went to try our hand at golf - i think they had to change the driving range after we left as we hit more grass than balls !!!! the golf course is one of the best on the island and features an 18 hole and 9 hole golf course also you can do night golf which truly looks amazing. We also used the spa and found it reasonably priced and it is a seven colours spa

The night club there is at the C beach club with a pool in the same area as it is also used during the day. This is a must do if you are there as it is an amazing set up. We also did a cooking class in the chef’s kitchen and learned something about Mauritian cuisine this is also a great experience but carries a small additional cost. We did try as many restaurants as possible and couldn’t fault one as they were all amazing.

Would I go back – for sure if it was with just my wife and if it was with the family I would stay at Awali - you can use the facilities of both

Room Tip: Junior suite is he way to go or one of the full suites
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank allistercole
HeritageResorts_Mgmt, Resident Manager at Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share a review on our hotel - Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort.
We are happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, even thought it was a short one and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon at the Domaine de Bel Ombre.

Faithfully,

Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,033)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Le Telfair is situated on the southern coastline (a noted warm windy area according to our taxi driver) of Mauritius .The resort is surrounded by verdant foliage and beautiful flowers and upon arrival the greeting was very sincere. The overall impression I immediately experienced was one of a colonial plantation owner's residence. The rooms are very well appointed with a very comfortable bed and an excellent en-suite (The best shower I have ever experienced).
The whole resort is beautifully managed and is very clean with obliging staff in all areas of the hotel.
The exhorbitant extra we paid per person for the 'Gourmet Bliss Experience' was an utter waste of money and quite frankly the evening dining experience was spoilt having to decipher which choices were HB (Half Board) which choices were GB and which courses (the majority) were at extra cost. I never thought the description of the individual courses got close to the expectation, so for me and our friends (6 in all) dining was very below par.

Breakfast, however, was outstanding with multi choice freshly cooked food and all types of fresh fruit, cereals and juices etc. (That standard was what we were expecting for the evening Gourmet Bliss Experience)

The golf was right up there with a great challenging course in excellent condition and stunning views; I would certainly recommend it .The facilities in the clubhouse are excellent with very helpful staff, but unfortunately the lunch menu is very restricted for GB subscribers.(Why?)
Would we travel to Mauritius again, the answer is yes. Would we stay at the Le Telfair again and the answer is NO, but it would be YES if GOURMET BLISS meant all inclusive.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank sandy w
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have just come back from a glorious break at the telfair and the biggest compliment I can give it is that I have not been able to think of any serious faults and coming from me that is exceptional. We were welcomed with a cocktail by anita who did a great job helping my wife plan my birthday surprises and also upgraded our room to a sea view. Thanks Anita for your efforts and support and my chocolate Fudge cake.

Before I write up my review let me first clear up the main questions for the men coming:
* Smart evening trainers (brown diesel / sketchers) are fine in the evening as well as polo shirts.
* full length trousers are required
* No ironing board or iron in your room so bring a travel iron.
* wifi is free at the main bars but in your room you must pay for it.
* you can book two golf tee times ahead of arrival and its worth doing as its always busy. That said as a single player I always got fixed up.

So onto my review:

Grounds and the resort:
Style is French colonial and the rooms are large spacious and clean. Your room gets cleaned during the day and then again tidied up when your bed is turned down every evening. No complaints here at all with room and facilities. The telfair is bright and felt less busy than the awali that seemed darker due to terracotta colours and was also more crowded. We never found it a problem finding chairs by the ocean or pools at the telfair as it has nearly 10 times as much beach front as the awali. Apart from the beach the pools are quite traditional in design but refreshing all the same. The awali has more interesting pools with palm trees in them so it depends on your taste here.

Food, Drink and the restaurants:
First question you should ask yourself is how much will I drink and do I want to try more restaurants across the hotels. If your a drinker and you want to try more than one restaurant I cannot over state how important it is to upgrade to AI package "gourmet bliss" before you leave as it cannot be done on arrival. This includes room mini bar, champagne, cocktails, basic spirits, beers, coffee, ice creams and lunches over all the main restaurants. If you consider the following prices then that should help you decide (note you do drink and eat less in the heat)
* spritis & cocktails £8 to £10
* wine £10 glass min 40 a bottle
* lunch £15-25 a head food only
* soft drinks / coffee £3
* meals follow similar expensive pattern outside half board restaurants as well with starters about and deserts each costing £10 and the main course around £15 - 20

We were AI and it took all the cost stress out of things and I think if we had gone half board we would have broken even on drinks but would not have had the restaurant choices we did so I'm happy with our decision. Signing a bill for zero rupees is quite refreshing. A word of caution you do need to check what is all inclusive though as although they are marked on the menus some bars have different selections and what is free in one may not be in another. The c bar has best cocktail selection though by a long way.

I'm not going to review each restaurant as they were all nice but some you do need to book up for. My favourites in no order were:
Le chateau - Great steak
Infinity blue for lunch at awali
Ginja ( they do not advertise but there is still a selected gourmet bliss menu here we only found out on last night as we believed you only got a credit)

I advise you have a look at the menus as they do change each day and then go where your taste takes you. If your half board your much more restricted and although there is a different menu each day but if your a picky eater like me you may struggle on odd nights. The food at telfair always comes nicely presented and although plain at times it was more than acceptable. The breakfast buffet offers a good selection of hot and cold breakfast from your bacon and eggs, omelettes to fruit / cheese and ham croissants.

Service is mixed and I think it depends on the time, place and number in your party. We were just 2 people and we always dined around 8:00. this seemed to beat any rush and I cannot complain about the service as food was always prompt. I did notice for some other groups that it was slow but heh your on holiday. It's worth noting all the restaurants are cooled by fans and are affectively open air so they can get hot in the evening. It would have been nice to have had some places to eat with air con but it did not cause us any issues. When you get drinks from the bar they will be brought to your table or sun lounger during the day which is nice but they group up drinks so service can be slow even when there seems more staff than orders. Whether food / drink was delivered slow or not the service was still with a smile.

Watersports:

There is a good selection of sports on site as part of the hotel. You do need to book the glass bottom boat and snorkelling ahead as if you roll up on the day they are nearly always full especially the morning trips and there is only two trips out a day. You can swim to the reef yourself but you need to cross the water sport (jet ski) zone and the strong currents make it a hard swim as well. So use the boat :-)

My one word of warning is that there is a strong tidal current in the bay. Nothing too bad for swimming but more increased around the coral. You have to be very careful snorkelling as you can easily drift into the coral and its sharp and cuts can scar. Just staying to the edge can be difficult as one wrong turn can mean swimming against current to get out. We tried once but decided risks were to high to venture out again and I'm a strong swimmer so we just did the glass bottom boat for a second trip.

Excursions

There are a few day trips:
* dolphins
* walk with lions
* quads

We tried to book for dolphins but surprisingly did not get enough interest to fill a boat. To go by yourself is around 6000Rs (£130). We did however do the quads and this is a fabulous 3 hours of driving through sugar cane fields, up the hills and a through a few streams. You get to stop three times at the hunting lodge, top of the hills behind resort for those scenery shots and also to swim in a waterfall but you get plenty of driving time. Quads were easy to drive and risk of injury is low if you are sensible and don't race / try to skid around. Very few technical sections but those were nothing more than few hills or slopes to negotiate. This activity I can fully recommend as a break away from the sea and sand. If you driving the engine can get hot which is why they advise long trousers but they are not essential.

Golf

I am an avid golfer off 6 and I can say this is a nice well kept course with plenty of tee selections. I took on the gold championship tees one day and that was fun but very hard work. White are the best compromise for the low handicapper with blue for those with less length or wanting shorter par 3s.Take plenty of balls as when the wind is up it gets tough to keep the ball where you want it. Fairways are wide enough but there is water in play on a lot of holes. 220 over water on a par 3 can quickly gobble up your pro v's. Also if you miss the fairway or first cut you then tend to go into sugar cane style plants and finding a ball there is well impossible.

Unfortunately the only gripe I have is that after rain the back nine does not drain well on a couple of holes and they frequently close it to carts forcing you to walk in the heat of the day and that really makes concentration and enjoyment difficult. Its always a difficult decision and whilst I understood the course managers reasons they felt weak given the flooding on the front nine being almost as bad and carts being in play there because of the hillier nature of that 9 holes.

To the hotel: Invest in a cart path down the side of 10, 11 and 14 so we can enjoy our golf please! The investment on return or lost cart fees would soon make this a simple decision.

Well that's it nothing more I can think off. I hope you have found this helpful and enjoy your holidays be it at Awali or Telfair. Both are great options however I would always pull for telfair first if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms are a little out of the way (ask for an upgrade if special occasion and they will tr...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
22  Thank acfoster
HeritageResorts_Mgmt, Resident Manager at Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking time to share a review on our hotel.

We would like to express our sincere gratitude for your comments which truly helps us for our process of continuous improvement. We are also happy to read that you have in all enjoyed your experience at Heritage Le Telfair.

Looking forward to welcoming you back at the Domaine de Bel Ombre .

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The location, the personnel, the food, the surroundings, the golf, everything is really perfect. The personnel is extremely nice, helpful and goes ways to satisfy the client. Really few things could be improved, such as the noisy air conditioning system or the fact that a few things such as the wine, for example, are overpriced. But on the whol,e the 14 days we spent at the Heritage Telfair were very enjoyable and we can sincerely recommend the place to anybody who wants to spend a leisurely fortnight in one of the best places we know around the world, and they are many !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ancetre

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking time to share a review on our hotel on TripAdvisor. We would like to express our sincere gratitude for your encouraging comments on our hotel and friendliness of our staff, we are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay at the Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort.

The whole team looks forward to welcoming you again at Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort.

Faithfully,

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I unfortunately never really got to enjoy this hotel as 15 hrs after arriving i fell ill. However on finding i had fallen ill they called me to check I was ok untill they had to call the hotel dr who was charming and so kind. The whole way the hotel looked after me and got me to Hopsital was amazing. Before this happend though the arrival at the hotel was made special and was given a lovely cocktail. As travelling alone i wanted to be near the hotel and they accomodated me with the closest beach from suite as asked. The room was beautiful looking straight onto the beach. It was basic though with not many tv channels and internet was dodg in room. plugs did have english plugs though. Mini bar was stocked well and the bathroom was beautiful too.

On using the pool area the bar service was ok but not all in inclusive in the package which confused me as was nothing to do with spirits. A Pina Colado was free but a banana or strawberry daquari was not. The sunbeds werent as nice as the Prince Maurice. It was a much busier hotel but the setting and the plantation suites made everything look stunning.

Breakfast Buffet was superb and annabelles was lovely but only had the one meal there!! The Lounge bar was a lovely gathering place in the evening with a great atmosphere.

Unfortunately that is all i can say as then Hopsital was the next venue which I have to say was superb. It is a hour away but the Clinic was amazing. I had my own room, it was clean and i was very well looked after.

What surprised me most though was the genuine concern from the hotel. The Manager Queenie called me to check how i was and also kindly came to visit me witha large basket of fruit. I was taken aback with such kindness as travelling alone didnt make it easy. Queenie also kindly organised the nest day for other items from my room to be bought into me. A big big thank you as this was so appreciated.

On return to the hotel from hospital it was check out as i was off to spend the last 3 days elsewhere. on arrival to my room i found a bouquet of flowers and a beautiful fruit platter which again was so kind. This hotel really have lovely staff who genuinely care about you.

I went to the Prince Maurice which is very much a boutique hotel and loved the relaxation but this hotel is alot more busier with more to do. If travelling alone this is a lovely hotel to stay at and i loved the short amount of time i was there. The prince Maurice is a lot smaller and very quiet for a more relaxation rest.

Room Tip: I didnt get to see all the rooms but i have to say they are all stunning but to have one which reall...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank laraskan
Reviewed February 18, 2013

There are good and bad things to every hotel. In the end the question is if you get what you paid for (good product) or if you get some overperformance (very good product) or underperformance (bad product). With the Heritage Telfair this question is not so easy to answer.

Good things:
- Nice colonial style architecture and layout around the river citronnier
- Half board food was outstanding (very good breakfast and excellent set menu for dinner). Don't believe the bad reviews for HB food. As usually in Mauritius of course you better be an openminded eater as cooking almost always is fusion style (foremost creole, classic, asian, arabic). With that in mind you will have lots of fun at table. Really outstanding for HB standards.
- Nice special children buffett for dinner. Our son loved it.
- top notch information and entertainment system in the room

Bad things:
- Friendliness and experience of staff was a lottery. Some were even anxious to get in contact with guests or simply rude. But of course there also was great staff (presumably with prior experience at other resorts)
- Power failures almost on a daily basis. This would be fine with me e.g. on some remote island but not in Mauritius. Sometimes they lasted just some seconds and sometimes up to 5 minutes.
- On 2 out of 7 evenings there wasn't enough water pressure in our room to take a shower! Last time we experienced something similar was in a rural hotel in southern Cuba about ten years ago.
- The two mentioned points (and several others) indicate, that technical infrastructure at Le Telfair simply seems to be insufficient, outdated or maintained in a incompetent manner. Don't know what the problem really is, but this is REALLY a no-go.
- Food prices out of space. When in the middle of the Indian Ocean I pay more for a sushi plate than in a very good restaurant in an expensive city as Zurich you know, that pricing is ridiculous. On the other side HB food as mentioned is great.
- Wine prices (as often in Mauritius) are not ok. A bottle of Champagne that costs me approx. 120 Dollar at home was in for around 500 Dollar. Considering this I sent my thirst for wine and Champagne on a beer trip. The good thing: Local Phoenix beer is really good and the price at the resort is ok (approx. 5 dollar).
- boat house services are a joke: my travel agency asked the hotel if the dive center is directly at the hotel. The hotel said yes and by this totally was lying to my travel agency as the dive center is three hotels away at the mövenpick. This is definetly a further no go. As a hotel you may not fool guests. At the end of our week I haven't been diving once (the excuse I heard several times from the boat house staff was "weather" but we had worse weather on our last trip to Mauritius and back then they went diving nonetheless).
- On some days our room had not been made until 15:00. That's ok with a middle class resort but not at a hotel with this ambition (at the end of the day it still is a SLH member) and pricing. For the evening turnover they even wanted to show up at 21:00. No way when travelling with a small child.

Just for your understanding, we aren't picky guests as we do not bother about rats in the lobby, dead insects on the room floor that aren't cleaned away during a one week stay, dirty socks when walking around in the room, faulty restaurant checks, lack of new towels, waiting 20 minutes for the restaurant check etc. (all experienced at Le Telfair).

At the end it is really difficult to write a fair summary because it is a pity that a hotel that could be great is totally ruined by a severe list of no-gos. You can't blame some single stuff here. It's more of a problem with (senior) management that obviously does not supervise key procedures and assets properly and does not succeed in building up a positive and efficient working attitude at the resort. Because of that the resort is running with the handbrakes on. Only go if you can make a bargain (most guests we talked to were last minute and therefore did so), in that case it sure is worth your bucks - but never ever for the regular price. For the regular price you will be very very disappointed. If no bargain in sight, consider the many many excellent alternatives in Mauritius as this country really has established a high quality service standard in recent years.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank to_many_reg_users
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I don't usually write reviews about holiday destinations but after such an amazing 10 days at Le Telfair I felt that on this occasion I had to! I travelled with my 3 children to Mauritius ( flew with Emirates who were excellent)......staff were warm and friendly, they could not do enough to help us all, food lush.......just ate far too much and the setting perfect! We had a problem with our room when we first arrived but we were quickly upgraded to a room on the beach.......all of the rooms I may add were spotless. Even though we were half board we were able to eat on the beach one evening and we also enjoyed the food at the neighbouring Awali at no extra cost. My 3 children loved the glass bottom boat as well as the free use of the other water sports equipment........the only bad thing about our trip to Mauritius was that it had to come to an end!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Epricero

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking time to share a review on our hotel on TripAdvisor. We would like to express our sincere gratitude for your nice comments on our hotel and staff, we are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay at the Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort.

Looking forward to welcoming you back at the Domaine de Bel Ombre.

Yours Truly,

#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
4 mi away
Shanti Maurice Resort & Spa

Been to Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!