“Very good family holiday”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
wakefield
“Very good family holiday”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had a very good family holiday at the Awali at the end of October. Service in all bars was good, we never experienced anubexcessive waiting that some have mentioned.
Golf course - excellent course for golfers of all abilities. Some lovely holes and kept in very good condition. Tip - I payed early ( 7am ) and could get back for 10am as the rest of the family were getting up for breakfast, so not missed!
Food - generally very good, buffet playing of choice. Tip try other restaraunts but book 2 days in advance to get choice of times. We found service to be better earlier rather than later in the evening. Our favorites were c beach club and infinity blue
Beach - very nice, but quite a strong current, which was good or drift snorkelling but not easy for swimming. Our kids were happy in the pools though. Tip- if you like sea & snorkelling buy some cheap slip on neoprene shoes in advance ( about £4 from sports direct ) and snorkel set from amazon ( approx £7 and surprisingly good quality ). Walk up the beach to the left until you hit rocks at the next resort and snorkel back from there. The coral there is much better and here is an abundance of puffer ish, angel fish etc
Kids club- a bit limited but get do a decent job. We went in the school holidays so they met plenty if friends there
Trips - boat trip to see he dolphins was very good but the sea can be a bit choppy so Make sure forecast is good. Dont be afraid to barter with the guyson he beach, check out the prices from the hotel first to I've you a guide and ensure you are paying less

Overall very nice, not all perfect but your average person should have a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Steve M
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Steve M,

The entire team would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments relating your stay at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort and we are pleased to read all of you have been spoilt
and the service has been fantastic.

Thank you for recommending the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort to all Trip Advisor members and we look forward to welcoming soon for another Family Holiday in the Domaine de Bel Ombre.

Warmest Regards,

Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Czech first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at this beautiful resort for 10 nights in a Deluxe room.

We are a family of four and we shared one room with the kids sleeping on a fold out bed. The room was comfortable but a little bit squishy, although who wants to stay in their hotel room when you're at such a beautiful resort? We had a room on the ground level overlooking the main bar and swimming pool which was perfect for keeping an eye on the kids. Our kids are 7 1/2 and 10 years old and we felt very comfortable with them being able to get around the resort on their own. It felt very safe.

The kids club did organise activities, but as my kids were on the older end of the age spectrum they found some of them a bit "babyish".

We were on the "all inclusive" package and it was so lovely not to have to take money with you everywhere.
We went waterskiing one day which was fun and we also took advantage of kayaking and paddle boating which is easy to organise.
We found the variety of food and drinks, and the restaurants was good.

NOW TO THE NOT SO NICE THINGS!

My husband and I have travelled all over the world and stayed in many different types of places. I also used to be a travel agent and so have seen many hotels so I feel my opinion has a lot of credibility.

Yes, we did see a couple of cockroaches in our hotel room, but as we come from a tropical country this didn't phase us a great deal. But others may be offended by them.

The property itself is a little bit tired! It could probably do with a facelift in the near future, but it is still a very charming resort with a lot of character.

The staff were all very friendly, however I don't think they've been trained to a high standard of service. Sometimes when placing a drink down they would spill some on the table and then not come back to wipe it (It doesn't bother me, but it may bother others). We also had a couple of issues with the wrong meals being served, and sometimes had to wait a bit longer than we would have liked to, but hey, we were on holiday....there's no rush!

Food quality wasn't really high. It was edible however, and there was a lot of variety. It's certainly more 4 star rather than 5 in the restaurant department.

Unfortunately my husband got Salmonella poisoning at the resort. He started getting sick on our plane ride home and hadn't eaten anything outside of the resort so it was definitely from one of their restaurants. He was in bed for 3 days with stomach cramps and diahorrea, but was unwell for about 1 1/2 weeks. A Dr's test confirmed it was Salmonella poisoning. The rest of our family didn't get sick however. It was a bit of a disappointing end to our holiday but I guess you can get Salmonella anywhere!

Would I recommend it to friends and family? Yes I would!
Would I go there again? Absolutely!

It was one of our best family holidays ever!

Just don't got there expecting 5 star and you won't be disappointed.

p.s. Make sure the men pack lots of collared shirts and long pants as no shorts and tshirts are allowed in bars or restaurants after 6pm

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you have children!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank RT7374
Dear RT7374,

I would like to express my sincere gratitude for the time taken to post your comments regarding your recent holiday experience at Heritage Awali Golf and Spa Resort, which have been well noted.
I am sorry to read that we had not exceeded your expectations in some areas. On the other hand, I am glad to read that it was one of your best family holidays and thank you for recommending us to your friends and family.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Warmest Regards,

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Me and my husband visited Mauritius in October for our Honeymoon and stayed for 14nights at the Heritage Awali. When we first arrived, I was really impressed with the very African feel to the hotel, all of the rooms are surrounded by trees and you feel like you are staying in a jungle/forest which is great if like us you are nature lovers. Unfortunately we arrived on a day it was raining (the only day of rain in the whole month) and so we had to wait to see it in full glory.

The next day we awoke to the most beautiful view, the beach and ocean is absolutely stunning, the water is so blue and crystal clear. However, advice to you would be take some rubber beach footwear, or harden up your soles as there can be a lot of sharp coral on the shore. We spent many days lounging by the beach being served cocktails which were divine! I recommend the Bel Ombe Fantasy personally!

The food at all restaurants was great! We did not have a bad meal the whole trip and there was a great variety, whatever your tastes. We did not find the booking system too difficult, however we did leave our meal at the chateau till the end of the trip, only to find that it was fully booked so we were never able to have our meal there, but friends we made while there said it was great! We also loved going to the bar Zenzibar pretty much every night and there was always some fabulous entertainment going on which was never too loud or raucous... Just the right mood and tempo for this kind of holiday. We must make a special mention to Akash who gave us amazing service the whole stay. He never let our glasses be empty and treated us like friends before the end of our stay which we really enjoyed!

The only let down to our stay was definitely the service at the Awali. For the most part the service is good and we were looked after well and with a smile. However, there were many times when, particularly in the Balafon we would be seated for dinner, order drinks and go to the buffet, and our drinks would take an age to get to us. On two occasions we were eating our dessert before our drinks arrived. I appreciate that it is a busy restaurant, but that for us was unacceptable and put a bit of a downer on our stay towards the end.

However, we could not fault in any way the amazing service and food we had at Cyan restaurant in C-Beach club (included in the all inclusive package). The restaurant is about 5 minutes walk from Awali, through the Le Telfair resort which was nice before and after dinner to stretch our legs. The food was outstanding and we were looked after so well. After we had been a few times the manager always came up to us and greeted us when we dined there and we enjoyed every single meal there. I would do the 12 hour flight all over again just to visit there!

All in all it is a fabulous resort and we had an amazing time. The watersports are great fun and it is brilliant that they are included so that when you are fed up of lounging around eating and drinking cocktails (it does happen from time to time believe it or not) there are a huge array of activities to do.

If the service at some of the restaurants improved then we would give this a 5* report.. It is such a shame as it is the only thing that let's this resort down. But other than that we had an amazing time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ozzycee
Dear Ozzycee,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your lovely honeymoon experience at the Heritage Awali and your positive comments regarding the great facilities of the Domaine de Bel Ombre.
I have read your comments with great attention and I sincerely regret that you have not been impressed with the service in Balafon. Rest assure that your comment will be shared with the Food and Beverage Manager, namely Thierry, to continuously improve our standards and service in the main restaurant.

I trust that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back at Heritage Awali .

Yours Sincerely,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Having arrived a day late following an unscheduled stop in Heathrow due to fog the extra £800 it cost us to rebook flights it was the worst start to any holiday I ever had. This all disappeared as soon as we got of the plane and found the White Sands tour desk in Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam airport. We were greeted with a huge smile and a warm welcome, put in private car and sent off to the Awali. After a cool drink and a hotel tour, some general information on restaurant bookings we were shown our room where we unpacked, changed into our beachwear and went to forage for breakfast.

Omelets, French toast, pancakes, cheese, fresh fruit and every kind of egg you can image. The breakfast at the Awali is second to none. After breakfast we went to the beach to find a spot and start our holiday properly. Infinity blue serves drinks from 10:00 am with a beach service from 11:00 on one side of the beach and Zanzibar offers the same on the other. All the drinks though not premium brand alcohol was still good quality and well made. This is where I must mention Sailesh our beach waiter, whist all the staff in the hotel looked after us he went that extra bit further. Such a personable gentleman he took the time to talk and get to know us and made sure we were well looked after, I cant speak highly enough of him.

Now to food, we ate most of our main meals in the buffet, every night there was a fresh wok dish, a curry, a vegetarian dish, a signature dish a pasta station and a selection of salads and deserts. If you did not eat anywhere else whilst in the Awali you would still not want for anything. We spread our lunches between the Zanzibar and infinity blue, both excellent. We ate in the Indian restaurant, Saffron, one night and if I am honest is was ok but not really worth the supplement. The food elsewhere in the hotel is of such a good quality you don’t need to pay the anything extra to enjoy a good meal.

We went with big ideas about seeing the island but once we got there any sense of exploration left us, we did manage to have a day trip to swim with dolphins. We booked with a beach vendor named Eddie, and ended up on the Mi Amore with Christophe and Ludovic a father and son team who looked after us well. The Mi Amore is not the best looking boat but they delivered what they said they would. Luke and I headed out in the morning with a lovely family of 4 to dolphin spot. It took us about 40 mins to get beyond the reef and find the lovely creatures. We managed to get in the water 4 times and see these beautiful things swim under us and around us, if you only do one thing when you are there I think the dolphin swim should be it. Be warned though, the full day boat trips take you to Coconut island to look at the crystal coral and a lobster lunch. The lunch is fantastic but while you are there the hawkers have you in a place where you cannot escape. Over priced shells and trinkets are the main sell, pearls and random Reggae CDs.

The rooms in the hotel are quite big, I am not sure how a family of 4 would manage but for the 2 of us our room was lovely, air conditioned with a nice balcony. There was a slight smell of damp in the bathroom and the bath could have been doing with being resealed but I am just being picky. This is a small hotel of 160 rooms so it never felt over crowed and you felt you were really attended to.

I’ll finish with the Spa. They are very smart in the Awali - the complimentary treatment you get in your first 2 days is so good its hard not to book more. I had an additional scrub and Luke and I had the Mauritian massage which was 75 minutes of pure bliss. It’s no pricier that a decent spa here, so make the most of it.

So…. it really felt like I spent 8 nights in paradise, despite the shaky start we loved this hotel and holiday so much that we have booked again for October. This time our children get to come with us; we really feel that the facilities, staff and other holiday makes make it a perfect place for both families and couples.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Wittycow
Dear Madam,

It was with some deep emotions that I read your review and would like to thank you for the wonderful description of your holiday experience.Thank you also for having chosen Heritage Awali and Domaine de Bel Ombre for your recent stay.

Rest assure that my team will be made aware of your comments and I am taking with high respect the ones regarding the smell of damp in the bathroom. This will help us to continuously improve our standard as our main concern is to provide our guests with impeccable service.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back next October

My warmest regards,

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Heritage for 10 days from 9th November. On our arrival at Mauritius airport we were greeted by a very friendly rep who escorted us to a PRIVATE taxi, we were taken directly to our hotel (approx 40 mins). On arrival (7am) we were greeted by hotel reception staff who were efficient and very friendly, we were offered a room to shower and change, our luggage was stored and we were able to enjoy a lovely breakfast and then relax by the pool until our room was available (towels provided). We were fortunate as our room was ready by 11am. During our stay, food was of a very high standard, lots of variety at breakfast and each evening in the restaurant. Food cooked freshly in front of you for some dishes. We also ate at Infinity Blue Restaurant, which had to be booked 2 days prior. Lunch was usually enjoyed outside overlooking the beach. We were on the all inclusive package, all of our food and alcohol was included, beer, very nice wine and dry sparkling wine (which they call champagne), cocktails, spirits. More than enough to keep you happy. We stayed in an executive sea view room, king sized bed, large bathroom with dressing area, selected sky TV showing free films each night (although all from 80's) and lots of sport (kept my partner happy!!), we were on the ground floor and had a lovely garden terrace. Mini bar stocked daily with juice, coke, beer and water. The beach was gorgeous and we discovered a spot with just a handful of sunbeds so we felt very secluded. Beach waiters supply cocktails etc throughout the day. Plenty of water sports available, mainly in the morning due to the tide. During the 10 days of our stay we watched 11 weddings, so expect to see many during your stay, the staff made each couple feel very special and the setting was on the beach, not very private as everyone else on the resort can watch. We had two full days of torrential rain, but we were continuously reassured that it would improve and we were not disappointed. Lots of sunshine followed although it did cloud over at certain times but always cleared with more sunshine. There was also a continuous breeze which was very welcome. My partner played golf (included in all inclusive package) at the Heritage golf course, he plays off 10 and found the course both enjoyable and challenging, they try to get you to book a buggy but you don't really need one (about £50), we also had lunch at the course (also included in our package), which was lovely. We had a massage, facial and pedicure at the Spa, the therapists were excellent.

Expect to see some stunning sunsets.

All in all there was NOTHING to be negative about regarding this holiday, (except maybe Miskitos, take repellent) the staff at the hotel could not do enough to make our stay perfect. Absolutely stunning holiday.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank karenpbarker
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Karenpbarker,

The Awali team joins me in to thank you for having chosen the Heritage Awali as your preferred holiday destination.

We also wish to express our gratitude for your valuable comments on your stay, which will, for sure, help future visitors to choose their holiday destination.

Rest assured that my team will be made aware of your appreciation of the resort and its different services.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the Domaine De Bel Ombre in a near future

Warmest regards,

Resident Manager

Domaine de Bel Ombre,
Île Maurice
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I went to Heritage Awali Golf and Spa resort during December 2013 as our main Honeymoon destination. I can recommend this without any hesitation. After 11 days we have never been so relaxed and rested. The service is great, the staff is sincere and friendly, the location is simply breathtaking. We visited all the sister hotels as well and really think Awali is by far the most impressive. The design has many overflowing pools which create a truly magical atmosphere. There are many restaurants to choose from, Balafon and Infinity Blue were our favourites.

There are so many activities. (Some included some we paid for) We did paddle boats, kayaking, snorkeling, went dolphin watching and swimming, water Ski, Glass bottom boat and some external tours of the Island. Highly recomment the 3 hour Frederica Nature reserve trip with Quad Bikes.

In a word, it is Paradise!

Thank you to everyone at Awali for helping make our Honeymoon truly unforgettable!

A Special thank you to the following staff members:
Ramana, Olivier, Vasha, Vanessa (both of them), Jay and Christina and also to Rechard our Connections representative.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and just go! We had a beach view room, I think this added hugely to the experi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jurie S
Dear Sir and Madam,

Firstly, I would like to thank you to praise the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort as Paradise! Amazing Honeymoon destination.

Your comments are all that reflect the Awali soul and my team would be more than happy to learn that they have exceeded your expectations, especially Ramana, Olivier, Varsha, both Vanessas, Jay and Christina.

I will be pleased to pass on your appreciation to Richard, your local representative.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Heritage Awali and Domaine de Bel Ombre

Warmest regards,

Nottingham
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Heritage Awali from 7th December for my wife's birthday. I read reviews on trip adviser before we went, do not believe the negative reviews. Flew by Emirates through Dubai very good best fights ever. Wow what a wonderful holiday. The hotel is very good, staff are wonderful and very helpful. Food is superb. The setting is unbelievable.
Hema the Virgin rep was great, very helpful and informative.
Did the helmet walk on bottom of the sea, this was great, 2 person submarine disappointing as the visability was poor.
South of the island tour was great. Meal at the rum distillery was excellent.
Booked The Chateau for my wife's birthday, superb meal outstsnding location impeccable service.
Booked a day out with Baboo, what a wonderful day. Snorkeling was fantastic. The meal cooked by Baboo was outstanding, smoked marlin, marinated chicken and lobster cooked to perfection. He set the table on the beach right in front of the sea, felt like VIP's. Well worth doing Baboo is great company.
Saving up to go back as soon as possible can't wait.
Thank you to all of the staff for making our stay so wonderful and special.
Ian & Brittany

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ian K
Dear Ian and Brittany,

I would like to thank you for having chosen the Heritage Awali for your recent holidays and for the trust in our product even after having read certain negative reviews on Tripadvisor.

I ensure that I will pass on your appreciation to Hema, your Virgin representative and to all the artists of my team. Believe me, that Govinden, the Chef, will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food in here.

I hope to get to welcome you back in the Domaine de Bel Ombre as soon as possible

In the meantime, I wish you all the best

Kindest regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort (Closed for renovation)
LUX* Le Morne
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare
Constance Belle Mare Plage
Constance Belle Mare Plage
#3 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!