“December Paradise”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Having arrived a day late following an unscheduled stop in Heathrow due to fog the extra £800 it cost us to rebook flights it was the worst start to any holiday I ever had. This all disappeared as soon as we got of the plane and found the White Sands tour desk in Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam airport. We were greeted with a huge smile and a warm welcome, put in private car and sent off to the Awali. After a cool drink and a hotel tour, some general information on restaurant bookings we were shown our room where we unpacked, changed into our beachwear and went to forage for breakfast.

Omelets, French toast, pancakes, cheese, fresh fruit and every kind of egg you can image. The breakfast at the Awali is second to none. After breakfast we went to the beach to find a spot and start our holiday properly. Infinity blue serves drinks from 10:00 am with a beach service from 11:00 on one side of the beach and Zanzibar offers the same on the other. All the drinks though not premium brand alcohol was still good quality and well made. This is where I must mention Sailesh our beach waiter, whist all the staff in the hotel looked after us he went that extra bit further. Such a personable gentleman he took the time to talk and get to know us and made sure we were well looked after, I cant speak highly enough of him.

Now to food, we ate most of our main meals in the buffet, every night there was a fresh wok dish, a curry, a vegetarian dish, a signature dish a pasta station and a selection of salads and deserts. If you did not eat anywhere else whilst in the Awali you would still not want for anything. We spread our lunches between the Zanzibar and infinity blue, both excellent. We ate in the Indian restaurant, Saffron, one night and if I am honest is was ok but not really worth the supplement. The food elsewhere in the hotel is of such a good quality you don’t need to pay the anything extra to enjoy a good meal.

We went with big ideas about seeing the island but once we got there any sense of exploration left us, we did manage to have a day trip to swim with dolphins. We booked with a beach vendor named Eddie, and ended up on the Mi Amore with Christophe and Ludovic a father and son team who looked after us well. The Mi Amore is not the best looking boat but they delivered what they said they would. Luke and I headed out in the morning with a lovely family of 4 to dolphin spot. It took us about 40 mins to get beyond the reef and find the lovely creatures. We managed to get in the water 4 times and see these beautiful things swim under us and around us, if you only do one thing when you are there I think the dolphin swim should be it. Be warned though, the full day boat trips take you to Coconut island to look at the crystal coral and a lobster lunch. The lunch is fantastic but while you are there the hawkers have you in a place where you cannot escape. Over priced shells and trinkets are the main sell, pearls and random Reggae CDs.

The rooms in the hotel are quite big, I am not sure how a family of 4 would manage but for the 2 of us our room was lovely, air conditioned with a nice balcony. There was a slight smell of damp in the bathroom and the bath could have been doing with being resealed but I am just being picky. This is a small hotel of 160 rooms so it never felt over crowed and you felt you were really attended to.

I’ll finish with the Spa. They are very smart in the Awali - the complimentary treatment you get in your first 2 days is so good its hard not to book more. I had an additional scrub and Luke and I had the Mauritian massage which was 75 minutes of pure bliss. It’s no pricier that a decent spa here, so make the most of it.

So…. it really felt like I spent 8 nights in paradise, despite the shaky start we loved this hotel and holiday so much that we have booked again for October. This time our children get to come with us; we really feel that the facilities, staff and other holiday makes make it a perfect place for both families and couples.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Wittycow
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Madam,

It was with some deep emotions that I read your review and would like to thank you for the wonderful description of your holiday experience.Thank you also for having chosen Heritage Awali and Domaine de Bel Ombre for your recent stay.

Rest assure that my team will be made aware of your comments and I am taking with high respect the ones regarding the smell of damp in the bathroom. This will help us to continuously improve our standard as our main concern is to provide our guests with impeccable service.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back next October

My warmest regards,

Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (3,809)

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Heritage for 10 days from 9th November. On our arrival at Mauritius airport we were greeted by a very friendly rep who escorted us to a PRIVATE taxi, we were taken directly to our hotel (approx 40 mins). On arrival (7am) we were greeted by hotel reception staff who were efficient and very friendly, we were offered a room to shower and change, our luggage was stored and we were able to enjoy a lovely breakfast and then relax by the pool until our room was available (towels provided). We were fortunate as our room was ready by 11am. During our stay, food was of a very high standard, lots of variety at breakfast and each evening in the restaurant. Food cooked freshly in front of you for some dishes. We also ate at Infinity Blue Restaurant, which had to be booked 2 days prior. Lunch was usually enjoyed outside overlooking the beach. We were on the all inclusive package, all of our food and alcohol was included, beer, very nice wine and dry sparkling wine (which they call champagne), cocktails, spirits. More than enough to keep you happy. We stayed in an executive sea view room, king sized bed, large bathroom with dressing area, selected sky TV showing free films each night (although all from 80's) and lots of sport (kept my partner happy!!), we were on the ground floor and had a lovely garden terrace. Mini bar stocked daily with juice, coke, beer and water. The beach was gorgeous and we discovered a spot with just a handful of sunbeds so we felt very secluded. Beach waiters supply cocktails etc throughout the day. Plenty of water sports available, mainly in the morning due to the tide. During the 10 days of our stay we watched 11 weddings, so expect to see many during your stay, the staff made each couple feel very special and the setting was on the beach, not very private as everyone else on the resort can watch. We had two full days of torrential rain, but we were continuously reassured that it would improve and we were not disappointed. Lots of sunshine followed although it did cloud over at certain times but always cleared with more sunshine. There was also a continuous breeze which was very welcome. My partner played golf (included in all inclusive package) at the Heritage golf course, he plays off 10 and found the course both enjoyable and challenging, they try to get you to book a buggy but you don't really need one (about £50), we also had lunch at the course (also included in our package), which was lovely. We had a massage, facial and pedicure at the Spa, the therapists were excellent.

Expect to see some stunning sunsets.

All in all there was NOTHING to be negative about regarding this holiday, (except maybe Miskitos, take repellent) the staff at the hotel could not do enough to make our stay perfect. Absolutely stunning holiday.

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank karenpbarker
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Karenpbarker,

The Awali team joins me in to thank you for having chosen the Heritage Awali as your preferred holiday destination.

We also wish to express our gratitude for your valuable comments on your stay, which will, for sure, help future visitors to choose their holiday destination.

Rest assured that my team will be made aware of your appreciation of the resort and its different services.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the Domaine De Bel Ombre in a near future

Warmest regards,

Resident Manager

Domaine de Bel Ombre,
Île Maurice

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I went to Heritage Awali Golf and Spa resort during December 2013 as our main Honeymoon destination. I can recommend this without any hesitation. After 11 days we have never been so relaxed and rested. The service is great, the staff is sincere and friendly, the location is simply breathtaking. We visited all the sister hotels as well and really think Awali is by far the most impressive. The design has many overflowing pools which create a truly magical atmosphere. There are many restaurants to choose from, Balafon and Infinity Blue were our favourites.

There are so many activities. (Some included some we paid for) We did paddle boats, kayaking, snorkeling, went dolphin watching and swimming, water Ski, Glass bottom boat and some external tours of the Island. Highly recomment the 3 hour Frederica Nature reserve trip with Quad Bikes.

In a word, it is Paradise!

Thank you to everyone at Awali for helping make our Honeymoon truly unforgettable!

A Special thank you to the following staff members:
Ramana, Olivier, Vasha, Vanessa (both of them), Jay and Christina and also to Rechard our Connections representative.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and just go! We had a beach view room, I think this added hugely to the experi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jurie S

Dear Sir and Madam,

Firstly, I would like to thank you to praise the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort as Paradise! Amazing Honeymoon destination.

Your comments are all that reflect the Awali soul and my team would be more than happy to learn that they have exceeded your expectations, especially Ramana, Olivier, Varsha, both Vanessas, Jay and Christina.

I will be pleased to pass on your appreciation to Richard, your local representative.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Heritage Awali and Domaine de Bel Ombre

Warmest regards,

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Heritage Awali from 7th December for my wife's birthday. I read reviews on trip adviser before we went, do not believe the negative reviews. Flew by Emirates through Dubai very good best fights ever. Wow what a wonderful holiday. The hotel is very good, staff are wonderful and very helpful. Food is superb. The setting is unbelievable.
Hema the Virgin rep was great, very helpful and informative.
Did the helmet walk on bottom of the sea, this was great, 2 person submarine disappointing as the visability was poor.
South of the island tour was great. Meal at the rum distillery was excellent.
Booked The Chateau for my wife's birthday, superb meal outstsnding location impeccable service.
Booked a day out with Baboo, what a wonderful day. Snorkeling was fantastic. The meal cooked by Baboo was outstanding, smoked marlin, marinated chicken and lobster cooked to perfection. He set the table on the beach right in front of the sea, felt like VIP's. Well worth doing Baboo is great company.
Saving up to go back as soon as possible can't wait.
Thank you to all of the staff for making our stay so wonderful and special.
Ian & Brittany

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ian K

Dear Ian and Brittany,

I would like to thank you for having chosen the Heritage Awali for your recent holidays and for the trust in our product even after having read certain negative reviews on Tripadvisor.

I ensure that I will pass on your appreciation to Hema, your Virgin representative and to all the artists of my team. Believe me, that Govinden, the Chef, will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food in here.

I hope to get to welcome you back in the Domaine de Bel Ombre as soon as possible

In the meantime, I wish you all the best

Kindest regards

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I would go back. Very friendly nice place.
Grumbles I think you should be able to eat at le telfair next door
Should have internet in rooms without paying
Buggies on golf course expensive
Overall food was superb ,so was service.
Kids club could be a bit more imaginative

Room Tip: Take your clubs Service very nice and helpful just a touch slow
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marc C

Dear Marc C,

The Awali joins me in to thank you for having chosen our resort as your preferred holiday destination and for your valuable comments on Tripadvisor which have been well noted to continuously improve our service and standards.

We look forward for welcoming you back in the Domaine de Bel Ombre .

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed December 26, 2013

After a lot of reading reviews about different wedding destinations we finally decided on the heritage awali. We then would read I think every review about the awali from booking until we left for our wedding there! We had a party of 16 so extra pressure was there for the other people as well as us.
I would like to put anyone's mind at rest if you are in this position , everything and everyone at the awali are excellent.
Wedding package organised by melana was above expectation, melana found nothing to be a problem and even put some of her own ideas forward which we really appreciated . Thank you
A special mention to a really genuine waiter, shailish, who was there for us and all our guests every day, top man.
All the staff were top class, thank you. The food in all the restaurants was excellent.
Also the guys that work on the beech are great especially Damien who managed to get all the kids in our party up water skiing unaided.
Would recommend block 5000 or 6000 for accommodation try for the ground floor if you have kids.
The maids kept the rooms spotless.
All in all very good, and we will defiantly return

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank vonbrick99
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Sir and Madam,

I would like, first of all, to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your holidays and also as location for your wedding organisation.

I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay and your wedding organization. Melana, being your wedding coordinator, had the responsibility to make sure this event of your lifetime gets to be faultless.

I will pass on your appreciation to my entire team and special mention will be extended to Melana, Sailesh and Damien.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you here again soon and why not for your 1st wedding anniversary...Melana will take care of the organisation!!!

My best personal regards to you.

Lindley Thomen
GENERAL MANAGER
Heritage Le Telfair and Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We had our end of year party at Heritage Awali hotel on Friday 20 December 2013 and wish to thank the personel for the warm welcome we had. The hotel is lovely and rooms are cozy and comfortable. We had a memorable end of year party which were tailored made for our company by a dedicated team at the hotel. I went to many hotels in Mauritius but the hospitality of Heritage Awali staff is uncomparable.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vedvik

Dear Sir and Madam,

Allow me to thank your company for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your end of year party. It was a great pleasure to have had you all here.

I will pass on your appreciation to my entire team and we all would wish to have you back here, either in group or as individuals.

My best personal regards to you.

Lindley Thomen

33 mi away
Constance Belle Mare Plage
Constance Belle Mare Plage
#2 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!