“Not Five star for service”

Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Barcelona
“Not Five star for service”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Very beautiful resort spoilt only by poor service the staff try hard but appear poorly trained and disorganised - pity because the food is good and well prepared spoilt by on occasions being cold and having to wait for cutlery etc back to service again.

Room Tip: We were in block four first floor good location for all areas with beautiful ocean view from the bal...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TNF84
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Sir and Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. I have taken good note of your comments and would like you to know that it will be taken with high attention for us to improve our service.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you here again soon.

Heritage Le Telfair and Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Czech first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We first visited this resort back in 2008 and loved it. We returned and this time got allocated The Villa right on the beach. This is as good as it gets location wise and is almost embarrassing as it has it's own pool and makes you feel a bit like some kind of celebrity. Anyway, this was half term and high season and the hotel was booked out. Sometimes you only see how good a hotel is when it's running at full capacity and there were some issues with the time it took to order drinks and overcrowding in the main restaurant - the sister resort next door, the telfair, did not seem to be experiencing these problems and the difference must be due to it being a pay bar.

Anyway long and short would we recommend it? Yes, and particularly good for families. Will we be back? Maybe try somewhere different next year but love Mauritius - it's the best island on earth (GB excluded of course). The staff and the people in general are so warm and genuinely welcoming.

A final and sad warning. I had rather a lot of money stolen from my bag that I foolishly left in the area in front of our room. It could have been anyone so not pointing fingers but it apparently is not uncommon of late...be careful... We didn't let it ruin a great holiday...

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Hanropet
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Mr and Mrs,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay and I am very glad to know that I did manage to make you feel like a celebrity.

I am sorry to know that you have lost money from your bag and as you did mention yourself it is very hard for me to trace that back as the beach is an open public area and any one could be blamed. I do hope this unfortunate experience will not refrain you from booking again your holidays to The Awali and we all sincerely would like to have you back here for a third visit.

Jhb
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Before I start on Awali it is worth noting that I've been to Mauritius twice, once to a 4 star resort and once to a 3 star. The service at both of those resorts was superb, the food good, fresh and varied, the tropical-style cocktails the best the world has to offer, the entertainment in the restaurants (every night) very watchable, the check-in procedure slick and without hassle, the room cleaning services efficient and all the resort employees very friendly. At the 4 star we were assigned a butler (who is assigned a few rooms) and he was incredibly efficient and unobtrusive - cleaning and turn-down was consistently done when we were at breakfast an dinner, for instance, beach towels were replaced in our room every day, etc.

We just went to attend a wedding at Awali and it was the polar opposite. The list of shortcomings was endless - and let's take into account that this is supposedly a 5 star resort:
Check-in was laborious, with us having to fill in forms with information the resort already had, which is incredibly time-consuming when 22 people arrive at the same time
Reception staff was unfriendly, and at times downright brash. Actually this goes for all staff save for two waiters an Vishal at the Infinity Blue bar
We did not once (during a week's stay) receive a drink within 20 minutes of ordering it, and about 30% of the tie not at all
The drinks we did receive were poor, with no consistency in how they were prepared and often using pre-mix (concentrate) ingredients when Mauritius has an abundance of the natural juices required
The food at the restaurant was the same every day with a variation of one meal at dinner time, and all of the food was at best average (see picture of the "lasagne")
There was no entertainment save for a short, and inferior, sega show one night at the bar
The cutlery and crockery was consistently dirty. I had to look at, on average, more than 10 plates before I would find one I was willing to eat from
The same goes for the glasses - and this was explained when we saw that all they did to "wash" the glasses at the bar was run them under water for a bit. Disgusting.
The whole place was dirty - see picture of a cockroach in the main restaurant
Aside from being incredibly slow, the service had no finesse - plates and cups would be banged onto tables at times with such force that you'd wonder how they don't break
The room was smaller, less comfortable and less well laid out than the room in the 4 star we had stayed at, and the cupboard was an open space inside the bathroom - great for your clothes in an already humid environment. In fact the room was roughly comparable to the 3 star we had previously stayed at
The mini bar was incredibly poorly stocked - two beers, some sodas and a small packet of peanuts. Why bother?
The floor in our room was not cleaned once during a week stay there
The walls between the rooms are so thin that if the phone rings in the room next door to you it sounds like your own - noise levels were high and consistent
The rooms have more capacity than the restaurants - we consistently had to wait for long periods of time just to have lunch
The fish, normally a Mauritian mainstay, was not fresh and poorly prepared
Following an e-mail three weeks in advance to book for a bachelor's at the Infinity Bar, our booking was somehow lost and it took a half an hour discussion to convince them to serve us on the beach. During the entire altercation the guy who is supposed to manage all the restaurants on the grounds, Arvin, refused to speak to me about the matter. He is not only incompetent, he is gutless
On a different occasion, the very same Arvin told us we were "not allowed to" eat at the main restaurant as we had a booking at the bar - a booking that had been moved two days before

The list simply seems to go on and on. Their staff are untrained and considering unemployment levels in Mauritius this is simply laughable. We paid twice as much as at the previous 4 star to stay here and we had expected mind blowing service and facilities. Instead they could not even match our 3 star experience. First time-visitors in our party formed the impression that this was just how bad service was in Mauritius, and resolved not even to return to the island. I felt like an idiot having told them that they will experience the best cocktails ever and a variety of food never seen before. Awali's ignorance was underscored by the fact that they kept Opus Ones and a variety of First Growth Bordeaux wines in a cellar with an open door and no air conditioning.

We have been ripped off to the highest order, and complaining while there would only have ruined the week for the bride and groom. Had we not been there with them I would have demanded to be moved on the first day.
Book anywhere else.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different resort.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank DieRooiGevaar
Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. I am very deceived to read that did not enjoy your stay with us while reading your comments.

Rest assure that I have taken good note of your state and have already answered in depth to you through a personal letter as you also emailed your comments to me directly which I did appreciate.

As I said I would love to get the opportunity to welcome you back here to make you experience the Resort with a different mind set.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Hi, I booked this holiday a year ago as a mini break before the end of the year. The estate is set in the more natural quite part of Mauritius in the south. The service was fantastic, they rally think of everything to make your holiday stress free and super relaxing. The whole operating was slick for the pickup at the airport to the final drop off.
Problem is that with all the activities on offer and five restaurants to eat at, one week is never going to be enough.
The had full day entertainment for the kids which was especially well planned and thought out. The pools are clean and beautiful, the rooms great too. You wont be sorry you stayed at Heritage Awali.

Room Tip: We had a pool right on the swimming pool on the ground floor 50 meters from the beach. We loved it...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Simon B
Dear Sir and Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your holidays and that my team did manage to exceed your expectations. I will pass on your appreciation to the whole team and next time think of booking for more than one week to be able to experience all the facilities and restaurants available.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back here soon and please do give a big kiss to Chloe from the whole Timomo Kids Club.

My best personal regards,

Randburg
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Food Service poor. Some select staff members really impress, however felt that most lack training to live up to a 5 star rating. However, food of a good quality.

Good points, Spa and other Heritage locations like C - Beach Club. If you can try and have lunch at the beach club.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank zhenn z
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Mr and Mrs,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed the Spa and the other locations of the Resort. I will take up your point concerning the training of the staff and will for sure react accordingly.

I will also pass on your appreciation to the staff who did impress you during your stay.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you again soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My Fiancé and I visited the Heritage Awali arriving on the 16 Oct 2013 and departing with total sadness on 20th October 2013. I read the reviews prior to my arrival, and was really sceptical and reluctant to visit as there were many mixed reviews. Never the less we needed a holiday and decided to try it out. We travel internationally allot, and we both can, without doubt, attest that this was one of our best holidays ever. On arrival we were greeted by a charming lady "Christine" that showed us the hotel and took us to our rooms. While we filled in the paperwork "Jay" arrived with refreshing welcome drinks.We were efficiently taken care off at the poolside bar by both Ajay and Jay. Nothing was too much to ask for from the staff and management team at Awali. Our days on the beach were catered to with immensely refreshing cocktails by Sailash and Alex. These two were so friendly and warm. Our breakfast, lunch and dinner times were expertly taken care of by the most friendly, professional, and efficient staff Leticia, Dareshni, these two ladies are amazing, just their warm welcoming smiles make you feel so comfortable. The Management Team Arvin, Tivin and the others were equally accommodating and friendly and the Chefs needed to be congratulated after every meal. Definitely the best food I have had was at the "Infinity Blue". The Chef was brilliant. All the other restaurants were exceptionally good as well. I could not but help wonder, how was this all brought together, and we asked to meet with the manager to compliment his staff and Resort. We were then introduced to Thierry Rioux. Under his charismatic leadership, mastering his environment, and recognising and using the skills of his exceptional Team, the "Heritage Awali" is the best choice we could have made. Wish I could remember more names, but my encounter with each and every one of the Staff at Awali was memorable. We will definitely go back and we highly recommend this resort. The rooms were beautiful, comfortable and always kept clean. Thiery we thank you and your super efficient team, for making our holiday an amazing and unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: Deluxe Ocean Facing Room , spectacular sunsets.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank avril y
Dear Sir and Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali despite the fact that you have read mixed reviews. I am glad to know that my team has managed to make you experience a wonderful holiday. I will pass on your appreciation to the entire team and special mention will be extended to Christina, from the Guest Relation department, Jay and Ajay from the Bar, Sailesh and Alex from the beach service, Laeticia and Darshinee from the restaurant, Chef Francis and his whole team at Infinity Blue and finally Arvin, Tivilen and Thierry from the Food and Beverage Management team.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back here very soon.

Chelmsford, UK
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Second part of our holiday after 4 nights in Dubai. sadly it was raining when we arrived and it's about a 45 minute drive from the airport. As you arrive to the hotel, you are met by the concierge banging out a welcome on a drum, which adds to the feel of the whole place. The decor is mainly dark wood and thatch roofs which gives an Arfican ambience to the hotel and the staff are similarly dressed in browns and beiges.

Pool and beaches are lovely, although the beach has some pieces of coral washed up which can prove a little hazardous to you feet.

The rooms are very well situated and decorated to a high standard, with a big bathroom area and a hugh bath and seperate large head shower. There is a small area for hanging your clothes which also contains the safe. It's a little cramped in that section. There is a mini bar which is included in the all inclusive package, however there is a limited choice, with no spirits or wine for example.

The restaurants are of a mainly good standard. The main restaurant Balafon is buffet service for breakfast and evening meal. I would say that with many buffets the food is ok at best, with the pasta station being our favoured option. This is the only restaurant that does not require a reservation. The Saffron (Indian) was by far the best one we ate at, although there is a supplement for eating here (1000 rupees, about £20) but don't let that put you off, the food was superb!! The Chateau, whilst being a fantasicly grand buillding, was a little overrated, the food was good, but you have to pay for your drinks, even on all inclusive, but they offer virtually the same ones as in the hotel. In a nutshell, the all inclusive package is hardly that at all. It's a little difficult to remember what's included and what's not. Really, all inclusive should mean just that, surely?

The Heritage Golf Club, where hotel users can get a free round per day, was in superb condition and the caddymasters and all the crew there were exceptional and couldn't have been more helpful. It's a fair test for golfers of all standards.

Overall, this hotel has so much potential, it just needs a brush up on some of the food and some of the service to make it a great place to visit.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are better if not on top floor as the are mainly blocked out by the palm trees.....
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EssexMackem
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your holidays and that the staff has delivered service up to your expectations. I will, for sure, take up your comments to improve the offering.

I will pass on your appreciation to them and special mention will be given to the Golf Club crew including the caddie masters.

We do hope to get to welcome you back here soon.

Our best personal regards to you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare
Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!