“Great family holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great family holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

2 adults and four children aged 12-16 had a fantastic 2 and a half weeks here in August 13. There was lots to do, which is just what we were looking for: tennis, cycling, gym, table tennis, snorkelling, water skiing, sailing, windsurfing, and even surfing.

Rooms clean, spacious and cleaned by very friendly helpful staff.

Food generally of high quality and the only reason I've not given 5 stars is that service sometimes fell a little below 5 stars.

Overall, a great active family holiday.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank medical_examiner
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Sir and Madam,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay and that your children enjoyed the various activities proposed in the Domain.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you all again very soon.

My best personal regards to you all.

Heritage Le Telfair and Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
  • Czech first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this amazing resort last year. Idyllic location and beautiful resort. We had the all inclusive package and certainly made the most of it. We also visited the sister resort next door for the Chefs table dinner, expensive but well worth every penny. The pool and beach are fabulous and although away from a town you want for nothing. Entertainment every night. The staff are fabulous. Great place to chill out. Many happy memories.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maggie L
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear Mr and Mrs,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your last year stay. I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your holidays. I will pass on your appreciation to the entire staff who will be happy to welcome you back here and very soon.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Spent 10 days at Awali for our honeymoon in August 2013. The hotel was brilliant with excellent accommodation the row as trended to at least twice throughout the day. Staff were friendly, attentive and went out of their way to help you. We did not want for anything. The food was a real highlight both in. The hotel buffet and independent restaurants.

Dear Mr and Mrs,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. I can read that you have enjoyed your holidays and would like to see you back soon.

Redditch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I couldn't have asked for any more!! My wife and I stayed at the Heritage Awali golf and spa resort for 12 nights during August 2013 for our Honeymoon. In short we were delighted with our room, the food, the staff, the drinks/bars, the facilities, how clean it was, the beach, the pool and every other aspect of the hotel and our stay. I will go into a little more detail for you though.

We arrived on an early flight and got to the hotel for around 8am. We were greeted by the 'Welcome Drum' which is a nice little touch to kick start your holiday. We were handed a refreshing cold flannel and shown to reception. The staff had the unfortunate job of delivering the message that our room might not be ready until 2pm but they would do everything they could to make it sooner. We must have looked as tired as we felt! We were shown to the main buffet restaurant and told to help ourselves to breakfast. Once we’d eaten our fill we wanted round the grounds of the hotel a little. Anyone listening in to our conversation would have been forgiven for assuming we were watching a fireworks display as we Oooh’d and Ahhh’d our way round the beautiful beach, luxurious infinity pools and attractive bars and gardens. We dropped ourselves into a seat at the bar around 10am where a member of staff promptly approached us to take to our room on which they had worked hard to make ready early. Despite the rush they had still adorned the room with small, romantic touches recognising we were honeymooners. Rose petals on the bed, love hearts on the pillows and hanging from the lights with the message ‘Congratulations Mr & Mrs Shanley, a carved pineapple and some wine. Needless to say having spent the previous 12 hours on a plane we crashed out immediately.

After a short recharge of the batteries we went back down to reception where we met a member of the team and we provided a tour of the hotel, ground and facilities.

The Room: Our room was spacious and kept very clean. We were on the first floor in room 6108 and had a small terrace with a sea/beach view. The bed was huge and comfortable, the TV full of sport, film and news, the mini bar kept stocked with coke, sprite, water, beer and peanuts and the A/C worked like a dream. The bathroom was also very spacious with his and hers sinks, a separate shower cubicle with rainmaker shower head and a large and very deep bath. The toilet is separate as is a large walk in wardrobe/storage area. We only had 5 hangers each in ours but I’m sure reception would have supplied more if we’d needed them. There was also a large window from the bathroom to the main room which we thought was nice. The room has a safe which is free and very easy to use. We did tip our cleaners on the first day and the last, only a small amount (200 rupees) but I don’t think this is particularly necessary.

The pools/beach: The infinity pools are a little marmite! People either loved them or hated them. I found them brilliantly refreshing and swam every day. My wife said they were freezing and wouldn’t go near them. At the Telfair hotel (next door) they have a heated pool which is available to use if you so wish but we never bothered. They are natural (meaning not heated) but very clean, not strong with chemicals and lovely to cool off in after a few hours on the sunbeds…Of which there are plenty by the way. I’ve been to some place where you have to be a trained spy or be up at the crack of dawn to get a sun bed. At the Heritage Awali there are more than enough for everyone either round the pools or on the beach. Which brings me nicely to the beach. Very clean and very long beach albeit a little narrow. The sand is soft and white but scattered with the odd shell or piece of coral so flip flops recommended for walking about. The sea is crystal clear and warm enough to paddle and swim. There is a strong current that runs across the bay from left to right as you look at the water for you to be mindful of. Glass bottom boat trips, snorkelling and kayaks are available by appointment which you can arrange at the same hut you get your beach towels from. Banana boats, donuts and the inflatable chair are also readily available but there is a small supplement of 1000 rupees to pay. Food and drinks are available on the beach and by the pool. Just flag down the waiter and they’ll bring the drinks or a takeaway pizza straight to your lounger.

Breakfast: Breakfast is available from the main buffet restaurant and will leave even the fussiest of eaters drooling. With the egg man on hand to whip up perfectly poached, boiled, fried or scrambled eggs to order or the omelette man poised ready to make whatever omelette your heart desires there’s something for everyone. There’s also the traditional bacon, sausages, beans, hash browns, pancakes and French toast. For the health conscious amongst you there’s plenty of fresh fruit, natural yoghurt, cereal (inc granola and muesli) and milk, wholemeal or white bread, jams and a selection of honey’s and syrups etc. Whether you go down for breakfast at 7am or at 10:15 it’s all fresh and tasty. Yes there are birds in the restaurant but what do you expect with that much food around and windows??? I never had an issue with bird mess on our table or seats, they’re small and cute and inoffensive and I for one would much prefer the odd bird flying around to having doors and windows shutting us off from the glorious outside world!!

Lunch: Again there is plenty to choose from. In the Blue Drift beach bar you can choose from delicious crunchy salads, freshly made stone baked pizzas, curries and noodle dishes. When you sit down to eat, a plate of warm and utterly delicious bread is immediately put in front of you. It’s accompanied by a selection of dips and relishes that the waiters explains and are equally delicious. For a selection of sandwiches, burgers and other tasty snacks there’s another dining area available. I can’t for the life of me remember the name of it but it’s outside at the bottom of the main bar!! From 4pm you can also help yourself to freshly made pancakes/crepes.

Dinner: We only ate in the main buffet restaurant twice I think during our entire stay. There are 4 other a la carte restaurants available to choose from and you can eat in them as often as you like. It’s very quick and easy to book in for dinner by seeing a member of the guest relations team in the hotel reception. I’m not a huge fan of the pile the plate high buffet type restaurants but at Balafon (the main buffet restaurant) they have the ‘chefs special’ every night. This is a set three course meal that is plated up for you at a series of stations around the restaurant. They were always very tasty as well as being night and light. Having always chosen this option I can’t talk much about what else is available but I can tell you I didn’t hear a single person talking about the food with anything but praise throughout our entire stay.

Ginjas: Oriental themed a la carte restaurant located on the beach at the Telfair hotel. This was our favourite place to eat. The staff here are superb, the food is exceptional, the setting is beautiful and it’s a lovely walk along the beach to get to it (You can go through the hotel grounds if you don’t want sandy toes). I can’t recommend this place enough. EAT HERE OFTEN 

Annabella’s: This again is situated next door at the Telfair hotel. It is a large colonial themed restaurant which again boasts great food and excellent service. There is a nice extra touch with this restaurant where they make up one of each of the dishes available (starter, main and dessert) and walk you into the kitchen to view them and talk to the chefs to help you make up your mind.

Infinity Blue: Blue drift bar by day (on the beach at the Awali) this place turns into an a la carte restaurant by night. Although the food here is very good and the staff are great it’s slightly eclipsed by the other 2 places as they are just so good! We ate here a few times and always had lovely food, service and ambiance.

The Chateau: Beautiful. A gorgeous building up near/on the golf course. There is a small supplement to pay for your drinks here but the food more than makes up for it. You can eat inside or outside on the terrace. The food again was incredibly tasty with nice little touches like an amuse bouche between courses. Although the drinks are extra the menu is very clear about what is included and what isn’t and for me it seemed very reasonably priced.

All the a la carte restaurants were set menu’s but there was enough to choose from and they were changed each Monday. They were included in our package but I believe it has been changed since we made our booking so it would pay to check this with guest relations at the time. The food and the service is always impeccable a lovely, memorable part of our stay.

Candle Lit dinner for 2: This was a special meal included as part of our all-inclusive honeymoon package. Again a set menu to choose from but you eat your meal in a very intimate setting with UV lights, white table linen and lots of candles. The food as always is very nice and the setting very romantic. We booked our meal for our 1 week married anniversary 

Drinks: Free flowing, varied and plentiful would be an accurate summary. My wife particularly enjoyed that the champagne was included in our package. There was a huge variety of cocktails available and the waiters were always happy to make ‘a surprise’ if you couldn’t decide. Own brand spirits were available and the local beer and cider (phoenix) was very tasty. The service can be a little slow at times but it was never an issue and when on honeymoon in Mauritius why would you be in a hurry??? A couple of nights we got chatting to other couples and after a few drinks the bar staff bought over a tray of shots we hadn’t asked for. They often made these little extra gestures and after the first night would remember my favourite tipple. The mojitos are cracking. Lots of fresh mint, lime and brown sugar, properly made!! One night we also had a knock on the door while we were getting ready to go for dinner. When I opened it a waiter was stood there with a couple of cocktails on a tray for us. Not ordered but gratefully received.

Seven Colours Spa: This place is sensational. Absolutely wonderful. Sitting around the pool or the beach in Mauritius I thought I was already in paradise but then I went to the spa for my treatment. Wowzers! I may be over egging this because I’d never had a ‘proper’ massage before but the 60 minute detox massage I had as my free treatment was amazing. So good in fact my wife and I immediately booked in for a 90 hot stone massage the following week. The place is a tranquil paradise set around small thatched huts, steam rooms, saunas, a plunge pool, several relaxation areas and a secret ‘quiet’ pool. You might look a little silly walking from your room to the spa in your slippers and dressing gown but it’s so worth it 

Staff: I found the staff to be friendly, helpful, attentive and warm. Everyone from reception staff, bar staff, gardeners and chambers maids offered a smile or a good morning as you walked by. Nothing seemed too much trouble. They enjoyed a chat and a joke with us on a few nights and I didn’t feel like they were only fishing for tips, they were all just genuinely very good, very gracious and very helpful people.

Trips/Excursions: We went on 2 excursions during our stay. We arranged them through our representative which was very simple and straightforward. We had a full day excursion on the ‘Scenic South Tour’ which is a tour of the south of the island. We visited a waterfall, the crater from the volcano which created the island, a rum factory (with tasting  and lunch), a Hindu temple, a nature reserve with a kind of zoo (which included giant tortoises – brilliant), the naturally occurring 7 coloured sands and quite possibly other things which I have forgotten!! It is a long day but it’s a good day and great to get out and about to see some more of the island. The second trip we did and one I can’t recommend enough is the ‘Walk with Lions’ tour. It is incredible. A complete once in a lifetime opportunity. In groups you are taken into a large reserve and 2 Lions are let out with you. They are allowed to run and play and climb together and to watch them that closely is out of this world. The instructors/supervisors/rangers are all excellent especially the main man Loic. He is a great guy, very funny and puts everyone at ease. He’s also very informative and talks enthusiastically about the animals. You are able to walk with them holding their tails, stroke them, watch them climb trees and jump for food. They are incredible animals and to have such close contact and interaction with them is amazing. They seemed so much happier and lively than the bored looking creatures you see in your local zoo. This one is a MUST as is the 1000 rupees for the video and pictures DVD!!

Weather: We had to travel in August as my wife is a school teacher so we were expecting a little inclement weather. We had one overcast day and one day of rain (the day we were leaving so we didn’t mind too much) and apart from that we had glorious sunshine from dusk until dawn. The temperature was mid to late 20’s most days but it did get a little chilly during the evening. Chilly as in take a light cardigan or pullover!! I was fine in just trousers and a short sleeved shirt but my wife purchased a pashmina and wrapped herself in that during the evenings. It was fine in the bar but in the beach restaurants with the breeze there was a little nip in the air.

Internet: WIFI is available for free in the main bars and restaurants. There is supposed to be a charge to have the internet in your rooms but I connected to ours straight away with no worries or charges. They are labelled by room number so just search for it when you arrive, you might get lucky like we did 

I think that just about covers it. Sorry to have gone on a bit but after reading some of the negative reviews on here I wanted to make sure I got across how wonderful a honeymoon we had because of this lovely lovely hotel. It was superb, there is literally nothing I could grip about. If you’re considering going her on holiday or honeymoon stop considering and book it. It’s blummin brilliant and you’ll have a fantastic time.

Room Tip: I think they're all good to be honest but 6108 for us was exceptional. Good size, sea view and n...
20 Thank BenShanley
Dear Sir and Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay and thank you for having taken on your time to write such a detailed report of your experience.

We always try our best to allocate the rooms upon arrival of our guests despite the fact that the resort runs almost full...ask me how, only my staff knows. We picked up that you were on honeymoon and we really wanted to keep you into that mode throughout your stay and the touches in your room was the start of it. Small additional details about your room is that, of course, we do provide for more hangers to guests upon request!

Thank you for your detailed appreciation on the Food and Beverage offering, we try as far as we can to give a wide choice to all our guests through different concepts of restaurant,. It seemed that Gin'ja restaurant was your favourite, please note that being a Pan Asian restaurant we often run some specific promotions in that said restaurant, there is actually a Singapore week with a Singaporean Chef running the show.

I will pass on your appreciation to my entire team and we all look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully soon.

Sandton, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

There are better places to stay for couples and for families with kids. The resort tries to please both types of holiday makers but falls short in both cases. The kids club is completely lacking for children older than 4, activities are limited and staff lack motivation. The resort is not 5 star and I would give it 3 stars. Room and ceiling in desperate need of a paint and freshening up as it appears as if people have been smoking in the room. Bath towels in rooms and napkins very badly frayed and in desperate need of replacement and seat cushions in restaurants are soiled with bird droppings and old food. The food is fine. A few of the staff are efficient and friendly but on the whole the staff are sloppy, (torn or ill fitting uniforms with food stains) and eating at the buffet at the main restaurant is awful as the standard of service is appalling. The staff at the boat house are unfriendly and lazy and activities such as skiing happen once a week as they always have an excuse that the tide is too low or the the weather is not good enough for snorkeling! Resort and staff are in need an upgrade, in fact many of the staff openly admit that they are looking to move to other hotels. The all inclusive package is very limited as at night you only have a choice of 2 places to eat, one of which is always booked so one is left with the buffet at the main restaurant which is like watching pigs at a trough. Drinks are not included at the other restaurants and the supplement barely covers starters.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AndySandton
Dear Sir and Madam,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. I feel bad reading your comments and deduct that you did not enjoy your stay. The aim of my team is to make happy guests and to serve them to the utmost of our possibilities. I could see that some of the staff did not manage to give you that impression and I would like to apologise for that.

For a simple clarification concerning the AI offering, please do note that we do have 4 restaurants included in that said package and saying that there was only 2 is not the truth.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back and this time with a better understanding of the AI package.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Spent 10 days at The Heritage Awali in August 13, the hotel, location, food and service were all excellent.

We found the staff very friendly, helpful and attentive and the room was clean and modern. We also felt the room was cleaned to a high standard daily.

The food in each restaurant was of an excellent standard and there was always a wide choice in the buffet. We ate in Infinity Blue twice at night and that was more restaurant quality, however Balfron was also of a very high quality. There was also a wide selection at breakfast, although watch for birds drinking milk from your table!

We went on the glass bottom boat trip, snorkelling and kayaking which were all part of the all inclusive package and organised at the C Beach club which was a 5 minute walk at most from the hotel. Really enjoyed all three activities.

All in all my wife and I had a fantastic holiday and definitely hope to go back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scott W
Dear Sir and Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your holidays and that the team has managed to exceed your expectations.

I will pass on your appreciation to the entire team and special mention will be given to the Infinity Blue and the Balafon team. I have taken good note of your comments on the birds and rest assure that loads of actions are put in place to prevent them from coming in the restaurant.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back here soon.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

What we saw on their website is definitely not what we got :
- staff at the bars hardly polite and giving the impression that you are bothering them
- limited choice at the restaurants which are included in your package
- lots of add-on (ex. WiFi in the bedroom : 60 EUR for the whole stay)
- weird smell in the bedroom

The worst was to see one staff at the Balafon restaurant taking the pasta dish which was on display, hiding it behind the pans and then throwing the pasta with his hands in another pan to reheat it and serve it to coming guests.

This was our first and for sure last time at this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from the bar and the loud music if you are an early sleeper
1 Thank PARIS-AMS
Dear Mr and Mrs,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. I just cannot imagine what you have described in your comments as it is just unbelievable to think that someone would do such gesture. The Awali is certified HACCP which is a high hygiene control and we do have regular training with all our staff.

I understand that you would not like to come back but believe me that our operation has got high standards level of service and these practices described by you are difficult to accept.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,402 reviews

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!