“Very Special Holiday”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
St Albans
“Very Special Holiday”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This holiday was to celebrate a special birthday for my wife.
We have never experienced such a relaxed, tranquil and friendly holiday.
The Hotel, and particularly our room could not have been better sited, being just a few steps from the beach.
The staff were friendly and very helpful without being intrusive.
Food was varied but always interesting and tasty.
We intended to take several excursions but in the end took one exploring the South of the island.
This was most enjoyable but our resort offered just what we were seeking, relaxation and time to take in the wonderful surroundings.
Our best holiday for years.

6 Thank tbsStAlbans
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Sir and Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays. I am more than happy to read that you have enjoyed your holidays.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back here in a close future.

Heritage Le Telfair and Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Czech first
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We have just returned from ten days at this hotel, WOW what a great hotel we arrived early evening to a tranquil greeting where the staff cannot do enough for you. The resteraunts and food were not only spotless but the food was first class. I must now give our thanks to the staff and particularly Chef Karl and Sandrine the pastry Chef in Annabellas resteraunt for making my birthday such a special night, Karl will cook just for you in the kitchen and treat you like royalty, the food in Annabellas some of the finest we have ever tasted. The Infinity Blue resteraunt has also beutifully cooked food and the bar staff keep you topped up all day whether at the beach or the pool. We must say thank you to the guest relations girls not only beautiful but the most helpful. The spa was the best we have seen not that we use them much but this was a good one. On my birthday we played golf and we had lunch at the clubhouse just the best setting and the course is in pristine condition. We had a morning Quad biking with good friends we had met , through the sugar platation and up into the hills, brilliant fun cheap and well recommended. We liked this hotel a lot and they made our anniversary stay a special one.

1 Thank BryCom
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Mr and Mrs,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays. I am glad to read that you have had a fantastic time in the Resort and that you enjoyed your birthday.

I will pass on your appreciation to the Guest Relation girls and to the Infinity Blue team. I will also mention to Carl and Sandrine from the sister hotel that they managed to make your birthday a most special one. Chef Carl does run a Chef's Table right in his kitchen and cooking for his guests in his own kitchen is just pure pleasure for him. I will inform him about your appreciation.

I do hope to get to welcome you back here and why not June 2014 for your next birthday!!!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

what a wonderful hotel, although like everything in life nothing is perfect, so a few minor niggles - not worth mentioning though. The bedroom was totally amazing, had sea views (what a sight to wake up to), our 'room boy' was Sunny, who introduced himself when we were taken to our room, I can't fault him as our room was spotless everyday & he was always asking if there was anything we needed. The day my husband & I renewed our wedding vows our bed was decorated with 2 intertwining swans (made from towels) & rose petals sprinkled on the bed!, he really took pride in his job. In the bar were were looked after very well, particularly by Jay & Vanessa, who always remembered what we were drink - there was a never ending supply! At breakfast our shining star was Shyama, who, when she say us arriving would order my de-caf coffee. There were different places to eat, the buffet had a different theme every night (although you could get pasta any night!), there was also Blue Infinity which was al acarte, menu changed weekly, food was great. In our package we had one meal at Le Chateau, which was out of this world, you can pay to go other times as well. The other al acarte was the C beach club, I would give this a wide berth, we had a most disappointing experience, the service was poor, despite nearly as many staff as diners, I could not eat my food as it was full of grease, however at no point did they ask if everything was ok or offer anything else to drink. They even forgot to ring the hotel for the shuttle bus to pick us up. Lunch was available in all places plus the bar did lunches. Be aware though the portions are big!! Guest relations also deserve a mention, particularly Ludhmiller, such a lovely person. I liked the fact the nearly all the staff had a smile on their faces, everyone seemed happy. There is a good selection of activities to do, particularly water activities, most are free e.g. snorkeling & water skiing. We hired the man & driver for the day, which was good value, as he's your for 8 hours, we had a list of what we wanted to do, but he also took to other amazing places. We did lots of trips outside of the hotel, my husband & I did undersea walk. Our son & his girlfriend went scuba diving, we all went dolphin & whale watching (unfortunately did not sea whales), mini submarine, hiking in the black river national park, snorkeling in blue bay & visit to Ille Aux Agrettes, also interaction with lions, cheetahs & lion cubs. My husband played golf (for free) - drove the buggy!
I guess summing up our holiday, its the closest thing to paradise I have ever been to - Thank-you Heritage Awali

Room Tip: its worth paying extra for a sea view, we had room 3103 & our son had 3102. They were close to e...
1 Thank Spainshdreamer
Dear Madam,

Thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays and for commenting so nicely on your stay. I am really glad to read that you have had a fantastic stay with us.

I will pass on your appreciation to Sunny your 'room boy', Jay and Vanessa from the Zenzibar, Shyama your morning shining star and Ludmillah your favourite Guest Relation. Your appreciation will also be forwarded to the whole Chateau Restaurant team.

I have taken good note of your bad experience at the C Beach Club and will inform the team there. Allow me to apologise on their behalf.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back all here and this in a close future.

My best personal regards to you and the whole wonderful family.

Mauritius
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I recently hosted a business meeting at this hotel for travel agents from the rest of Africa. Knowing that we were in the industry and influence sales I would have expected a bit more effort to dazzle the guests who operate some of the top travel agencies in Southern Africa.

The hotel is situated about an hours drive from the airport (most places about an hour from the airport in Mauritius!) and set in a lovely palm lined valley, nestled in beautiful garden between a golf course and beach.

Attendees arrived to beating drums , swift registration and cocktails on the beach.

The hotel staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful - especially in setting up the meeting facilities and arranging private dining arrangements at the three key restaurants over the three day event. The meeting room was very comfortable and all the amenities ( projector, sound system etc.) worked well.

The hotel facilities worked well for such a group (+/-30) get together and we felt quite well taken care of separately from the normal hotel guests.

The all inclusive rate, while reasonably priced was a bit lacking, especially the room mini bar and wifi. Waiters, while extremely friendly were a little slow. Great if you are on holiday - not when time is tight.

The pool bar was very cozy and well furnished and decorated to feel comfortable and at home. Pool table for those who wanted and decent live music at night.

There was limited wifi at the bar, but in the room wifi was almost $100 per day.

The hotel while rated as a 5 star would be better classified as 4 star. 5 star one comes away a little disappointed expecting something more, but four star you would feel more than satisfied.

For a bit more money I think it would have been better to stay at the sister hotel next door - Heritage Le Telfair.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the beach than the swimming pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent conference venue. I wish to thank you for your below review and I am happy to have a professional state, this does confirm the conversation we had when you were in the Resort.

I fully agree with you that being on holidays and being part of a conference group, does make the experience different.

I am happy to know that your entire group did enjoy the conference facilities and I will pass on their appreciation to the team who took care of them.

I do hope to get to welcome you back here in a close future to enjoy, this time, a holiday experience.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We arrived after a very pleasant flight with BA at around 6am, after collecting luggage we got transport to the hotel.

On arrival at the hotel the welcome drums were banged and our luggage whisked away to be taken to our room. Although our room wasn't ready until about 10:30 we were invited to have breakfast in the pleasant surroundings whilst our room was prepared. A quick sit by the pool and a cocktail at 10am was very welcome.

The room was amazing with a beautiful sea view. There we met Sunny our 'room boy' who was very friendly. He had taken our luggage in and told us anything we required during our stay to do with our room he would only be happy to assist us with. Sunny is certianly one of the stars of the hotel - the room was spotless everyday more than exceeding our expectations, clothes folded, ammenitites re-stocked as soon as something was used or open. Our thanks to Sunny he really made us feel extremely grateful everytime we stepped into room that he was our room boy.

On the whole the food was pretty good. There was also a wide selection of food to eat at the buffet and the blue infinity restuarant was always a pleasure to visit. Le chateau was an amazing experience and possibly some of the best food I've every eaten. The service was also faultess at the chateau. I wish I could say the same for the C beach club - mixed reviews of this place. Lunch was nice but the service sometime lacked what we had come to expect from the hotel. We didnt make dinner as our resivation was cancelled without an explination but this was very minor and my parents had been for dinner and were not impressed. The only place that we couldnt find was the amafrody bar but this again was minor. Well worth a visit is the Boma night on a monday - I won't spoil the surprise but just make sure you've not got an early start the day after!

The bar service was generally excellent, wherever we sat. Another two members of staff we felt deserve reconginition here - Jay and Vanessa. Both were always cheery, helpful and remembered our drinks orders without having to ask! The menu was fairly good but the cocktails is where personally I felt the hotel let itself down a little bit. Whilst there were nice some weren't how I would expect them to be served - such as the caprinia. Again this is a minor thing. Also the wifi in the bar was a little bit hit and miss.

Both myself and my partner became ill and the hotel really did take care of us. Saw the on-site nurse, given medication and even had special meals prepared and delivered to our room without any fuss. Another member of staff again deserves a special mention - Ludmiller (I hope I have spelt that right). She was ther person who looked after us and made sure that we got what we needed; always checking on our welfare - another big thank you

If only going for a few days you'll definately have to try the drfit snorkelling - it was amazing! Didnt get to try any other sports but there should be enough. Booking them was also a bit hit and miss, sometimes you could sometthing and others you couldn't - dependant on the staff member.

If you have any trips booked to grand baie allow at least 2 hours travelling time and more on the way back! Well worth a visit is Gabrielle Island in the north - we did a full day cruise and without a doubt the best trip we did! In the East is Ille Aux Aggretes nature reserve - again well worth a visit. We also did a sunset cruise around there which was magical.

Whilst I have given the few bad points about this hotel, it is set in paradise and is almost perfect. If you choose to stay at this hotel you will not regret it one bit; it has been a magical two weeks, which is no part down to this hotel; staff very friendly and a near perfect location with beautiful views of the inidian ocean. If you are looking for a luxury get away this should definately be a serious contender.

All in all I've just spent the two weesk in paradise, stayed at an amazing hotel and wanted to say thanks to everyone who made the holiday what it was!

4 Thank Stu S
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Mr and Mrs,

Greetings from The Heritage Awali. I would like to thank you for having chosen my Resort for your recent holidays. I am glad to read that the entire team managed to exceed your expectations. Please do accept my apologies concerning the cancellation of your booking at C Beach Club where you were not aware. I will review that process so that it does not happen again.

I will pass on your appreciation to the team and especially to Sunny your room boy, Jay and Vanessa from the Bar team and Ludmilah from the guest relation department.

I do hope you are feeling better now after your sickness.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you here again in a close future.

York
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We booked our honeymoon in January this year but was a bit worried after reading recent negative reviews. All I can say is I don't know where these people went but it must have been somewhere different as we couldn't find fault. The food and drink are excellent and we had no problems with the all-inclusive. I don't eat fish but always managed to find something gorgeous to eat. Drinks were great and a huge selection of cocktails, spirits and teas and coffees etc.

Our room was a 1st floor beachfront one which was excellent, always clean, perfect size and worth paying for the great sea view. The in room wifi was quite expensive at 2500 rupees (just over £50) for your entire stay. The wifi at the zenzibar was slow so nice to have the facility in your room.

We went on a 4x4 trek in fredrica reserve which was great and had a fantastic guide called Dominique who explained lots of history about the country etc. Well worth doing.

The included spa massage was great and worth going to.

Service can be a bit slow at times but we were on our holiday so no complaints from us as we were just relaxing. All staff always smiled and went out their way to help.

The beach is great with loads of sun loungers which you can move to get the sun. The included watersports are great and we made use of all of them, Water-skiing, wind-surfing, pedalos, kayaks, glass bottom boat, snorkelling. It's worth noting that while we were there water-skiing was only on for an hour around high tide so make sure you make it down to c-beach club to find out what time each day. They are really helpful and teach people how to do it if they have never done it before.

The end result for us was a perfect honeymoon and I'd recommend the place to anyone. Ignore the negative reviews and enjoy your stay :)

Room Tip: Beachfront room was great. We were in room 7102.
5 Thank Alex_gregory
Dear Mr and Mrs,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the team managed to exceed your expectations. I will pass on your appreciation to the entire team and especially to the Boat House team who was very helpful to you.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back in a close future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I have just arrived back after 10 nights at Heritage Awali where we enjoyed a fabulous honeymoon.

We have no complaints in regards to anything during our stay so I intend to only focus on the great things about the Heritage Awali Hotel & Golf Resort.

Where to start...our room. We had an ocean front room on the third floor. Just a couple of metres from the beach. Not only did we wake up the the glorious view but we enjoyed it from our sunken bath tub every single night before dinner! Wonderful.

Talking of dinner the food was superb. There was always a choice of places to eat during the day and in the evening and we couldn't fault the quality or service.  Dinner in the main buffet restaurant was to a higher standard than what you would expect from a buffet in the UK and had a numerous choice to suit all palates and fussy eaters like myself. The buffet restaurant was great for breakfast too with lots of choices. Other dinner options were Infinity Blue - lovely location on the beach - which was a la carte, food was fabulous each individual time we ate there, also the food was amazingly presented and had a truly tantalising taste to match.

For lunch we enjoyed the main buffet services on the beach offering grilled fish and meats cooked fresh on the BBQ amongst other things we also eat at Infinity Blue and Zanzibar all offering a totally different menu and outlook. So nice to have the variety.

The beach and pool staff were brilliant offering the drinks service that was outstanding. The guys worked really hard and they were always so happy and helpful with any orders and requests and a few even remembered your nam The drinks in general were very good especially for an all inclusive package. I lived on bellini's for our stay and my husband stated that the coffee is on par with the little streets in Italy themselves, Brilliant!

I could go on and on and on about this truly breathtaking resort. The service and staff at Awali can't do enough for you and I know you will have a good holiday. We had a fabulous honeymoon!!!!! We are already talking about yearly return trips and renewing our wedding vows here in ten years with all our family xx

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ALD1990
Dear Madam,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. Thank you for your kind words which reflect the excellent experience you have had during your honeymoon stay.

I will pass on your appreciation to the entire staff and specifically to the beach and pool staff who managed to provide you with your favourite cocktail...the Bellini, and your husband's coffee...to be compared to the Italian one!!!

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back here in a close future and do not wait 10 years for that.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort (Closed for renovation)
LUX* Le Morne
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare
Constance Belle Mare Plage
Constance Belle Mare Plage
#3 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!