“Golfing holiday”

Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We have just returned from our third visit to the Heritage Awali Hotel.
Our beach front Suite was spacious, comfortable and a real treat!
The service was, as always, unbelievable. The Mauritian people are such a great example to all. They are polite, obliging in every way, friendly and peaceful.
What more could one ask when on holiday? Well done to all management and staff for excellence, again. We will definitely be returning next year.

Room Tip: Rooms 7001 - 7005
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hilmari V
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Mr and Mrs,

I would like to thank you for your trust in The Heritage Awali Resort. Thank you also for your appreciation and for the time you spent dropping your comments.

The whole team is really looking forward to welcome you back here next year for your 4th visit.

My best personal regards,

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I feel after being back in the UK for 4 weeks and getting no satisfaction from the hotel, I needed to write this review. My wife and myself stayed at this hotel as returning guests as we stayed here last year due to having had a fantastic time. However this time ( after being there a week ) my wife came down with FOOD POISENING after eating in the balafon. After going to the nurse (who was very helpful) for some dioralite, and then having the doctor called out as I thought my wife was going to be admitted to hospital , she remained in bed for 4 days due to having the shivers and not being able to walk further than the bathroom . This was on the Sunday, it was my wife`s 50th birthday on the Monday which is why we had returned to the Awali as we had enjoyed it so much last year, we had also booked to go see the lions on this day which we lost, so the whole reason for returning to this hotel was lost to illness. Now don't get me wrong the hotel is really nice the waiters and bar staff are fantastic but there are major issues with the management. The waiters/waitresses and the bar staff like Kel,Michael,Jean-Marie,Navin,Jonathan were superb , they could not do enough for us by sorting room service out for us as we could not leave the room, so thank you for that at least we know they care for the guests . Having returned home we wrote to the hotel to inform them that my wife had salmonella which was confirmed by the microbiology report we had done as my wife is a Advanced nurse practitioner and could not return to her job till the symptoms had passed for 48 hours. The hotel has refused to take responsibility for this which means we are out of pocket for a lot of money due to loss of earnings and loss of half a holiday and trips purchased, what we wanted is the hotel to accept responsibility due to us not eating anywhere else whilst on this holiday. I would ask other guests to be very careful what and where you eat in this hotel because if you come down with anything the hotel will not take responsibility for you, and I would like Lindley to accept that doing checks on the kitchen and food prep 2 weeks after we arrived back is not an excuse.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AJ B

Dear Sir,

I think that we did have a long conversation and long exchange of emails concerning the above subject. I did send an answer which is a state to your wife few days back and I really made it clear that Salmonella was not contracted in the Resort.

I will pass on your appreciation to the Bar staff namely Kel, Michael, Jean Marie, Jonathan and Navin who did extend their hospitality feel to you.

Best Regards to you.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort in Sept 2012 and also held our wedding there. Our entire stay was perfect, we couldn't fault a single thing. Before we'd even got into the hotel, they greeted us with drums and a refreshing drink! And it didn't disappoint from there.The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and they came to feel like friends by the end of the holiday. The hotel is immaculately clean as are the rooms, housekeeping do a great job. The restaurants and their food are out of this world, I challenge anyone to not enjoy them! There was such a wide range of choices in the Balafon buffet restaurant and for a more formal setting on the beach, the Infinity Blue is just incredible. Being able to eat and relax whilst overlooking the amazing view is something you just won't forget. There's also a beautiful spa and great sports facility and plenty to do if you get bored of sunbathing on the beach (or you want to get rid of the husband for a bit!)
And with regards to our wedding, we owe the staff everything for making our wedding day so perfect. I couldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams just how amazing the day would be and with the beachfront setting, it was just truly breathtaking. The staff made the whole process so relaxed that we didn't have to worry about a thing. They ordered the flowers and extras with no problem and made us the most beautiful wedding cake. They greeted us after our session with the photographer with a bottle of bubbly and then we dined on a fabulous meal out under the stars in the beach kiosk. When we got back to our room, it had been decorated so beautifully with fresh flowers and the towels folded into swans.
I could write for hours about how wonderful this hotel and it's magnificent staff are but really you need to go there and experience it for yourself. Do not believe the bad reviews!! Honestly, if you want the most perfect holiday of your life where you can relax and be treated like royalty, this is the place for you. We cannot wait to go back over and over again!

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ChloeDew
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays and also for the place to get married. We took very much pleasure in making your wedding day a most memorable one.

I will pass on your appreciation to all the member of the staff and especially the room maids, the team of the restaurant Balafon and the Spa team. The pastry chef is happy to know that you enjoyed your wedding cake as it is very important to have that element right.

Do not wait too long to be back as we are all waiting for you to celebrate your first wedding anniversary.

Our best personal regards to you.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed hear last year for our honeymoon. Arrival was excellent, greater with drums, a warm towel and cocktails.

The room was good without being great.

Food was largely disappointing. A particular frustration was the birds helping themselves to the buffet, not just one or two literally hundreds of birds. For breakfast and dinner we always made sure we were early there so there was less chance the birds had tucked in. Drinks service at the buffet took way too long, sometimes waiting ten minutes on drinks that had been ordered. All other meals were no better than decent and I ended up with vomiting after octopus one day. The staff were also really mixed, for some I was a delight to serve you a drink, others a chore. We learned quickly who we liked and sat where they were serving.

Some particular delights were cocktails brought to the room unordered as we got ready, fresh fruit brought along the beach and the whole setting that was just simply stunning.

In summary we thoroughly enjoyed our stay excluding the dining experience and left well relaxed and recharged.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your holidays. I am so sad that we did not meet your expectation concerning the food offering during your stay. We do serve a large variety of food based on an international offering and for sure local and typical dishes too but obviously did not manage to please you.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back here one day for us to get the chance to catch up on your valuable comments.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

What an amazing place. Attended a wedding there last week, everything was perfect. The staff were sooo helpful and friendly and could not do enough for you. Hotel setting is beautiful, rooms lovely and spacious and relaxing. Cannot recommend it enough!

Room Tip: All beautiful settings
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank L D

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for having chosen the Heritage Awali for your recent holidays and thank you for writing down your appreciation.

We look forward to welcoming you back here in a close future.

My best personal regards,

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just got back after getting married at this hotel - please please do not believe the bad reviews. We had the most amazing wedding and honeymoon at the Heritage Awali. It is true that if you arrive early you can't get your room till about 10 but that was the only negative thing about it.
Our wedding was arranged by Karishma who was as excited as us. She arranged everything and on the day the diamonties on my shoes started to come loose due to the humidity she took them away and fixed them in no time at all - she made a special day amazing. In the evening we had dinner at infinity blue and the round table was exquisite all Orange & cream set for 9 with beautiful glasses and decorations much much more than we ever expected. Then when it was all over we got to our beautiful room (that we could step right on to the beach) and it was full of beautiful
decorations so lovely. We could not believe that we had the complimentary wedding package and only had to pay for flowers and photos, it truly was awesome.
Us 9 had no complaints at all food was excellent in all restaurants and service was good. The waiters in Zanzibar were brilliant especially Akshay .
I just don't understand the bad reviews on here I think they must be very hard to please.
Thanks again Heritage Awali for a wonderful 14 days

Room Tip: We had 7004 worth the extra to step straight on to the beach
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Haisamhouse

Dear Mr and Mrs,

Again congratulation for your wedding. I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for that special and unique experience and I am glad to read that you have had a wonderful time.

I will pass on your appreciation to Kareshma your wedding coordinator and also Akshay who did contribute to your experience at the Zenzibar.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back here in a close future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I want to write an honest and frank review of this resort. As a returning guest you would think I was very happy with this hotel, which I was. I have to say honestly though, the all inclusive has certainly gone down hill compared to last year. The choices are just not the same, you get no where near the same package and I'm sorry Awali, there is no comparison.
Secondly, and the hotel management are fully aware I am going to write this and will probably ask for this to be removed, but I got salmonella food poisoning whilst there. The hotel deny any responsibility for this but the fact that I ate nowhere else speaks for itself. I have sent proof of this but I apparently either made this up or I forged the result. I don't want to stop people going to this fantastic resort but to warn them that this is not the first episode of salmonella and I urge anyone who has been acutely ill with diarrhoea, vomiting, fever and abdominal cramps to report this to their tour operator. I got this midway through my holiday and was ill in bed for 4 days but had the symptoms for almost 5 weeks. This was a special holiday for my 50th birthday which I spent in bed.
That said, the staff are absolutely first class. Its the management that lacks in supervisory skills.
The food, well to be honest, you really do have to be careful what you eat. Being a nurse practitioner, I thought I did, I was very careful.
The hotel itself is lovey but I'm sorry I cannot recommend this hotel, its cost me in loss of wages and loss of holiday through no fault of my own.

Room Tip: Ask for block 3, top floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lezli105
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali again for your holidays and thank you also for your time spent in writing your comments.

Unfortunately you started to be sick on the 24th of March and you assumed that you got salmonella food poisoning at the Resort despite the fact that I did reassure you through several exchanged emails that it was not the case following deep investigation linked to your sickness report..

I was fully aware that you would write your comments on Trip Advisor as you did mention that you will do so if we do not manage to agree on the fact that you have contracted salmonella in my Resort.

The Heritage Awali is a Resort of 161 rooms with an occupancy of 85% throughout the year and hygiene and more food hygiene is one of our main concerns, this is why we are certified Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) and this since 5 years. We do have allergy or acute allergy cases but not Salmonella.

Madam I would like to thank you for your appreciation concerning my staff and the Resort in general.

I wish you all the very best.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare
Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!