“An incredible honeymoon!”

Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
“An incredible honeymoon!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

First class service from start to finish. We were amazed by the service, the beauty of the location, the ambience of the resort and pretty much everything about it.

We were concerned at first by some of the negative reviews recently, but were reassured by the excellent manager (Lindley), who assured us of an excellent stay, which he backed up wholeheartedly!!

We can recommend the boat trips to see the Dolphins (and lobster lunch on a small island) as well as the quad biking around the nature resort. These were only about £35 each to £70 each. It was absolutely amazing!!!

On the whole we would thoroughly recommend this beautiful resort for anybody. It has a pleasant and well-balanced mix for families honeymooners/holiday goers!

5 Thank KirkyGB
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays. More, I would like to thank you for your trust in my product as you did have some concerns linked to negative reviews. I am glad to read that your experience was a great one. It was my pleasure to welcome you in my Resort and to extend our best but normal service to you.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you again in a close future.

Heritage Le Telfair and Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Czech first
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Nothing disappointed us about our 14 night stay in Heritage Awali during January/February 2013. We found all of the staff very friendly and helpful. Within one day we felt completely at home and particularly enjoyed the evening entertainment and relaxation in the bar. Every meal was excellent (and we are particular) and we did not tire of of The Balafon, or the Infinity Blue for either lunch or dinner. The Spa facility was exceptional, situated within the hotel gardens. Having the sister hotel (Telfair) adjoining, with the watersport facility along the beach gave the resort a spacious feel with lovely gardens and beach. We were able to walk or cycle beyond Bel Ombre along the coast, as far as Le Morne. Our second visit to Mauritius in 10 years left us wanting to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mjpaddler
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like, first of all, to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays and thank you also for your appreciation of the Resort.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back here in a close future.

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

After reading few reviews on here about poor service etc at hotel I was worrying as we wanted our honeymoon to be prefect. The staff were nothing but helpful they knew our drinks & names in no time always ensuring we had drinks at poolside on beach in bar and in the restaurant never had a problem.

The hotel is very traditional style which is lovely. Room was spacious with his & her sinks bath & shower walk in wardrobe & separate toilet.

All inclusive package is amazing includes champagne by the glass and choice of lots of restaurants. C Beach club is lovely as is le chateau de bel ombré people to us to be wary as drinks were not included but again did not find this a problem most things are included.

The weather was the only bad thing about our stay however this can not be helped as there was a cyclone which is unusual in Mauritius.

If you visit make sure you get out and about taxi for day booked through hotel cost is £60 and they took us everywhere we wanted to go and waited for us before moving on. Mauritius is a beautiful country to see it is very tempting to stay in hotel because of how nice it is however, I would definitely recommend getting out & about.

Would like to thank all the staff at heritage resort for making our honeymoon a special memorable experience.

2 Thank KD86NE
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your honeymoon trip. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay amongst us. Unfortunately the weather was not always sunny and as you mentioned the island was under the influence of a cyclone which was very unusual during that period of the year.

I will pass on your appreciation to the entire staff and I do hope to get to welcome you back in a close future.

st austell
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed for a fortnight with our son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren, 6 and 9 years old, so there was a fairly wide age range to please. However, we all agreed we had had a superb holiday. We went with some trepidation, having read some rather negative reviews just before we departed. However, they proved in the main to be totally unfounded. It is true sometimes the service is not what you would expect in some of the top western hotels, but you are not there! Who minds waiting a minute or two for another drink as you sit sipping a cocktail watching the sun go down beside a pristine beach and crystal clear sea? You may find a chit-chat on your wall, but be grateful; they are great insect eaters and do no harm whatsoever. If you choose to go to far flung shores, you will not find everything the same as the UK - thank goodness! The hotel is in an idyllic situation; you can sit on your sun bed, steps away from both the sea and one of the excellent pools. The food in the buffet was excellent and varied with many cooking stations available. We tried 2 of the a la carte options in the evening and were served meals of a class we would expect in a top restaurant. The only evening that disappointed was the African one, which we felt was very overpriced (2000 R extra even if on AI) and the food was not as good as normally provided in the buffet. However, when my son complained to the management they immediately apologised and gave a refund. There is only one large bar where evening live music is played. This may not be enough entertainment for some, but it was fine for us. The vast majority of the staff at the hotel were friendly, worked incredibly hard and helped make the holiday.
Finally I must mention the day we had on Baboo's boat. It is etched on our memory - swimming with dolphins, superb snorkelling and an amazing lunch on the beach of an uninhabited island consisting of barbecued fresh tuna, chicken and lobster. Both his care, and that of his cousin Avinash, for our children during that day was amazing and unforgettable. Do look out for his boat when you're on the beach if you are going there - that is a day not to be missed. Also if you have children with you, take them to La Vanille to see and feed the giant tortoises, such fun!

Room Tip: All the rooms are very large with excellent air conditioning. We preferred a room on the first flo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank StAustellPasty
Dear Sir/Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays with your extended family. Thank you also for having taken on your time to put down your comments and experience.

I have taken good note of your recommendations and will, for sure, work it out so that the experience gets to be even more better.

I will convey your appreciation to the Kitchen buffet team and also to Baboo and Avinash.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you all again in a close future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I don't normally write reviews but we had such a great time we felt we owed it to the hotel and staff to do so.

We were a little worried about some poor reviews before we left, however I can only describe some of the poor reviews as utter tripe! People who do not like anything associated with a tropical island should stick to Blackpool or where ever they normally go! Tiny ghekos, some colourful birds do not constitute rodents.

From the minute we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with beating of drums and a cocktail and personally shown to our room. The room was great just as pictured in the brochure and just what we needed after a long long flight.

Food was always good and we tried a number of new things which we thoroughly enjoyed. Drink service could be slow at times and we heard a number of mumbles at times from other guests. However at no point was this due to lack of care from staff they were rushed off their feet working hard to tidy up after the constant comings and goings of guests. We found all staff extremely friendly and very chatty from the restaurantes to the sports centre. No they didn't have painted on smiles at all times but neither would I dealing with of the guests we saw for 12hours a day. They aren't robots!!

All inclusive drink menu was great too free champagne was a nice touch as was the free massage which was just brilliant.

Things to bare in mind:
- Le Chateaux is not all inclusive on Saturdays there is an extra charge which isn't mentioned in the info packs.
- Would recommend flying its emirates we heard numerous complaints about Air Mauritius and we ourselves had our flights moved by 7hrs just 3 weeks before the date of flying, hence the switch to Emirates.Obviously this is not the hotels fault though.

Overall we would highly recommend this hotel and Mauritius in general we would love to return! We would also recommend the trips to Casella Park, the market in Port Louis and some Deep Sea fishing. Ignore the serial moaners on here and go visit!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank muzzpat
Dear Sir/Madam,

Let me, first of all, thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays and also for your detailed review.

I have taken with high respect some of your comments such as the communication of the Saturday's dinner at the Chateau. I will convey your appreciation to the entire team and specifically the Kitchen team who have really managed to please you.

We do hope to get the chance to welcome you back here in a close future.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We are a family of 4 (2 children aged 13 and 10) and have just returned from a fabulous 10 days at the Heritage Awali. I must admit, we departed with some reservations after reading quite a few recent negative reviews. However, I am pleased to say that in our opinion all negative points were unfounded.

We were given 2 interconnecting rooms in Block 4 overlooking the sea and the pool. The room was well equipped and spotlessly clean. Our housekeeper, Cindy, was a gem! She was really friendly and always concerned that we were satisfied with everything. We also appreciated the evening service where bins were emptied and more towels were offered.

The spa was fabulous and myself and my daughters enjoyed several treatments. My girls were thrilled to find a teen spa menu!

The pool and gardens were very well maintained. We didn't find a problem in getting sun beds. Yes, some were reserved but certainly not at the ridiculous times that we have experienced in Europe and there was always space around the three pools and on the beach.

We have seen some comments about children at the resort. However, what do people expect as the Heritage Awali clearly markets itself as a family resort, with the presence of teen and kids clubs. Perhaps it wouldn't be the best choice for a romantic honeymoon! But, from our experience, children are well catered for and the hotel seems glad to have them there!

The service we received exceeded our expectations ( which were probably a little on the low side anyway given recent negative reviews)! OK, a times, it was a little slow but we never felt ignored and you have to make cultural adjustments and allow for the fact that you are on holiday! All of the staff that we met were positive and friendly, saying hello as they passed and serving you with a smile. If you are polite and friendly to them then you shouldn't have any problems!

Our favourite restaurant for lunch and dinner was Infinity Blue, great standard of food and good table service. The lunchtime pizzas were superb and they offer a children's menu with paninis, sausages etc...

Balafon, the main restaurant was also enjoyable. Breakfast catered for all tastes and dinner was fine. It is more relaxed which is ideal for children. If we had been travelling as a couple we would probably have visited more of the table service restaurants.

A highlight for us was our day out with Baboo, which is an absolute must for anyone visiting Bel Ombre! He offers half day and full day boat trips and his boat is kept right in front of the hotel. We booked a full day trip and saw dolphins and went snorkelling. Baboo and his assistant, Avinash, were so lovely with our girls, helping them with snorkelling. They also took us to a small unspoilt island and cooked an amazing feast of tuna, chicken, lobster with all the drink you could want.

All in all, we had a super time at the Awali and would love to return. We would recommend as a luxury family holiday destination.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank LizzieS606
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like, first of all, to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent family holidays. Thank you also for having taken on your time to write down your holiday experience.

I am happy to know that your experience was a great one. I will pass on your appreciation to Cindy, your housemaid, for the quality of her service. The Spa team, also, will be made aware of your appreciation as well as the Infinity Blue team.

The teens' and kid's club team say a big HELLO to Abigail and Kiera and they are really looking forward to welcoming them back here.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you all again in a close future.

My best personal regards to you all.

London
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We (two adults and one 9 year old) have just spent two weeks here and it exceeded our greatest expectations. The hotel facilities, rooms, food, pools, beach and staff are all lovely and first class.

Whilst most reviews before we came reassured me there was the occasional review that concerned me. However, frim my experience I'd ignore these.

4 Thank pda_2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am glad to read that my team managed to make your stay with us enjoyable.

We would really like to have the opportunity to welcoming you back here in a close future.

My best personal regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort (Closed for renovation)
LUX* Le Morne
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,708 reviews
Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!