“A good place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
North East
“A good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

The fact that I have twice previously stayed at the Shandrani makes it difficult to be totally objective about this review however I will try to make relevant comments and them draw some direct conclusions at the end of this review

We arrive to the sound of drums and a nice cocktail which was nice and checking was easy, we did arrive at 8am following an hours transfer from the airport and although the rooms were not ready but they did provide us with towels and came to find us when the rooms were read

The hotel is lovely with 3 pools and a reasonable size stretch of beach; however the thing that surprised me was that it was a small hotel, not that if feels at all cramped but it was full when we arrived with only 192 guests, so you do see a lot of the same faces. However the saving grace is the fact you can use the C-Beach club if you like so there is no need to ever fell crowded and indeed we did not.

Rooms: We were in block 5000 with a garden terrace and direct access to the beach, there were 4 of us in the room and 2 people in the adjoining room. The rooms themselves were nice but there was a strange damp like smell that I put down to the humidity and the aircon filter, however at the end of the holiday we got a room to change in on the top floor that did not have this smell. The one thing that did let the room down was the pillows; they were thin and useless to me as I like a firm pillow, though that is personal preference.

All inclusive: At the hotel it is really simple everything is included EXCEPT some premium spirits such as Jim Beam, also there are charges for room service which I think is fair enough. Once you are out of the hotel it gets more complicated. The C-Beach club does have certain items that are included at lunch in the AI and while you eat you can drinks as well (12:30 – 2pm) however although it is not complicated I still got stung for two kids pizzas and it turns out the Sunday Lunch Buffet (which is nothing special) is also not included and that was £60 for 2 adults and 2 children. We ate in the restaurants almost every night and had no issues booking them in the 48hr beforehand time frame, there were no queues in the morning and no issues with attending more than one. However at the Chateau you do need to pay for drink including water and to be honest it was nothing special. I much preferred the Infinity Blue or Beach Club for dinner, the latter having the best atmosphere.

There are plenty of water sports to keep you entertained and I cannot recommend BABOO who does boat trips to see the dolphins enough. We hired him for a day trip for my little girl’s birthday and it was fantastic. He also brought a cake and children’s champagne. To be honest I could written another equally long review on this excellent trip. However I would just say book it, you will find his boat (also called BABOO) moored on the beach.

In summary, as one highly annoying man on holiday kept pointing out this is not a 5 star hotel but it is an excellent 4 star and for those who think it is going to be I would point out one simple measure..the price. 6 of us stayed at the Awali for 12 days for less than it cost 4 of us to stay 11 day at the Shandrani. My advice to him would be stop complaining enjoy the beauty and excellent food. If you can afford it go to the Shandrani, its bigger has more beaches and food options in the restaurants and buffet, if you don’t want to spend the extra go here you will have a great time

Tips:
Change your money at the airport it is the best rate
There are taxis and shops just outside and to the left of the hotel (about 5 mins away)
Always at least half what the beach hawkers ask for
Take a change of beach clothes in your hand luggage if you are arriving in the morning

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
13 Thank bilk2005
HeritageResorts_Mgmt, Resident Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

We would like to express our sincere gratitude for your comments which will truly help us for our continuous improvement.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the Domaine de Bel Ombre .

Truthfully,

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
  • Czech first
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was our first time to Awali and on most points everything was perfect. We had the "Old all inclusive package" which gave us the opportunity to try every restaurant at no additional charge. These are my thoughts:
Grounds/Beach:
The hotel is about a 4 to +4* hotel, not 5*. The grounds are large and very well kept. 3 poolareas and a nice beach with lot of sunbeds and beach service. The water is shallow even during high tide and the current is very strong. Lots of corals.
Room:
Good in size but they don´t provide any hair conditioner or body lotion which I think is a minimum for a 5/4 * hotel. They clean the room once a day and refill the minibar late afternoon.
Food:
Very good, even excellent most of the times, but we had dinner at Balafon twice and that was a disaster on both occasions. We asked for champagne and got sparkling wine when I told the girl, she just said no it´s champagne I just opened the bottle...I KNOW it was sparkling ...We ordered rose wine and got red wine. The only thing that I think was excellent was the pasta, tasty, al dente, well done! All other restaurants were greate. We tried the buffé at Cyan, at the C beach club, during Saturday evening and it was very delicious. The big negative is the breakfast, we love the exotic fruits but they had only grapefruit, pineapple and melon almost every morning. Just white bread and "danish or croissant". You can get omelette and eggs any style but with only one person making them it took about 10 minutes to get them.
Golf:
Very nice course and difficult.You must take an extra shot on some of the par 4 or you end up in trouble..Hole 17 is a real challange! They have some problems with the course when it rains a lot. The back 9 is their problem, with hole 14 as the main problem. During our stay, 14 days, we could only have the cart on the entire course, 18 holes, at 4 occations. The first 9 were open for carts everyday except one, when you only were alowed to go with trolleys. This wasn't a big problem for us but they had other customer that were very dissappointed over this. But..you can't do anything about the weather..
Spa:
Very nice and relaxing. Try the hamman and the cold dip! You will feel like a new person afterwards.

We would love to go back this was a very relaxing holiday!

3 Thank carpediemgolfer
HeritageResorts_Mgmt, Resident Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking time to post a review about your stay at our hotel - Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort on Tripadvisor. Allow me also to express my sincere gratitude for your comments which will truly help us in our quest for continuous improvement.

We are disappointed to note that the breakfasts and your dinners at the Balafon was not up to your liking, however we are happy to read that you have enjoyed the food at the other restaurants of the Domaine and that on overall you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon at the Domaine de Bel Ombre.

Yours Truly,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We just had the most perfect time at the Heritage Awali. Yes the service can be slow but the food is delicious, the rooms are comfortable and clean, the grounds are impeccably kept and beautiful and the staff are helpful and friendly.

Baboo's boat trip is up there with one of the best days of my life! Swimming with wild dolphins, snorkeling for puffer fish and octopus, lunch on an uninhabited island - lobster and champagne, followed by wakeboarding (not so good after champagne). Highly recommend - Baboo and his skipper Avinash are so lovely and accommodating.

The food was of utmost importance to us when booking the holiday and we definitely weren't disappointed. The buffet was of a high standard at both breakfast and dinner, Infinity Blue was our favourite for lunch. Buma, the african restaurant on a monday night was so much fun, we met some great people that night. Beware of the rum!

Hiring a car was easy and not overly expensive. They drive on the same side of car and road which makes life much easier! The safari park and the crocodile park are both great as a backup if the weather isn't great.

All in all the perfect holiday, we can't wait to go back. Please just go and try it for yourself - and when you do take me with you!

8 Thank LondonLass27
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking time to share a review on our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay at the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort. thank you also for your nice and highly encouraging comments on our rooms, hotel and friendliness of our staff.

The whole team looks forward to welcoming you and your family again at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Heritage Awali at the end of February 2013. Our overall impression of the resort is good and we enjoyed our week long stay. The main highlights were the Seven Colours Spa, the golf course and the location of the resort. The views of the ocean are breathtaking and the resort grounds are beautiful and well kept. And we spent many hours in the stunning pools.

We booked on the all inclusive package and would highly recommend this option to anyone planning to travel to Awali. The price of food and drinks is very high. There is a wide variety of food and drinks available on the all inclusive package. There are also a number of restaurants to choose from. Our favorite restaurant was C Club. The food, setting and service was amazing! The Balafon buffet was disappointing. Although there is variety, the standard of the food is not that great.

The rooms are neat, clean and comfortable. Compared to other 5 star resorts we've stayed at, I would say the rooms fall slightly short, missing some finishing touches and amenities. The staff are very friendly and warm, but expect to wait a little longer than usual for most things. There seems to be no rush on this island.

Overall, we had a relaxed stay and leave happy travelers. We would probably come back here.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dhashni N
Dear Dhashni N,

Thank you for taking time to share a review on our hotel with the travel community of TripAdvisor. We are deeply disappointed to note that the food at the Balafon was not to your liking as we always strive to cater for the taste of everyone.

However we are happy to read that you have enjoyed our highly praised All Inclusive package and your experience at the Heritage Awali in general.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort.

Yours Truly,

Shrewsbury Shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I am sitting in the bar area at the Heritage Awali waiting for our car to take us back to the airport.
I read many reviews before coming here and wasn't sure what to expect as some were not very good, it was too late to change our minds and as there were more good than bad reviews we had to just wait and see.

In order to get a true picture of your expectations you have to decide where you fit into the holiday jet set. If you do 5 star all over the world and and can afford holidays like this at the drop of a hat then you will have something to compare the Heritage with I think those people are the ones who say it is not 5 star. If like us you have come for a special one off holiday and have not stayed in a place like this before you will not feel that is below par. I do have to say that the sister hotel Telfair next door to the Awali is more sumptuous and looks of a higher standard so you could say by comparison that Awali is not 5 star. To us Awali was our little bit of Paradise for 10 days.

Now lets get down to the finer points.

Yes service was sometimes slow and some of the staff were not as chatty as others but I never found anyone rude and I just thought some of them are young they are at work they may not have the language skills. If you worked in this heat would you want to be rushing about. We found that the majority of staff said hello as we walked around the hotel and gardens.

I will agrees that the all inclusive package is a bit confusing but we found that we sampled most of the eating areas over the course I'd our stay. We ate at Infinity Blue the evening of my birthday the staff were great they gave us a lovely table overlooking the sea and brought me a birthday cake and sang happy birthday.

The Balafon is the main restaurant we chose to eat there most evenings as we didn't feel that the extra charge for eating elsewhere was worth it. We have booked to go to Gin Ja one evening but we had eaten lunch in Infinity Blue that day and were too full to spend money on another meal .
There has been a previous comment that the food in Balafon was bland. I do not agree with this as I found there was always something to tickle the taste buds there were plenty of spicy sauces to add to meat and fish dishes. The tandoori fish was amazing, it was blue marlin had the texture of chicken but more meaty, I had marlin quite a few times I would like to be able to buy it back in the UK.

Infinity Blue was a fabulous place to eat at lunch time I had the most fantastic beef loin steak there and we both had the best chicken and chips ever on another occasion. The other place to eat at lunch time served burgers which drew the people with children in that direction, they also had a lovely curry which we enjoyed as well.

We went to the African Boma evening which was a memorable experience there were only a small group of people sitting around a small bonfire on rocks as if we weren't hot enough! We had drinks and food and African dancers, fire eater. It was a little over priced and didn't last vey long but it was good fun and an unforgettable experience, I wouldn't have missed it.

We booked with White Sands for our tours, we had a private car, the driver took us to Casala park where we walked with 2 year old white lions we were able to touch them and bought a DVD of the occasion after the walk we went into the cheetah pen and had 15 mins stroking the cheetah she purred when you scratched her behind the ears. Would not have missed that for the world, more photos were take and the DVD was given to us with the lion one, which we thought was good value. The driver took us to several places for interest, view points ect.

We spoke to Baboo on the beach he seemed a very trustworthy person we had already booked out trip on a catamaran so we declined his offer of a boat trip. I would like to say that the people we met who had been with him had a brilliant time so if he approaches you on the beach grab the offer with both hands.

I was fascinated by the colours of the sky and the ocean even when it rained I have never seen anything like it, you could not describe it to anyone I have been to India and the Carribean but this sky is out of this world.

Well I'm getting tired of writing so I will finish by saying that we had a fantastic stay at Awali no it's not perfect but where is. Don't be put off by negative comments.

Room Tip: We had 4208 on second floor overlooking a pool and ocean but the garden view would be fine as here i...
10 Thank Ann Field
Dear Ann Field,

We would like to express our sincere thanks for sharing your comments which will truly helps us in our quest for continuous improvement and delivering at the highest standards. It was a real pleasure for us to have you as guest and our team was honored to be able to share the celebrations of your birthday.

We look forward to welcoming you back under the blue sky of the Domaine de Bel Ombre .

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

We spent 2 weeks at the Awali at the end if January, our first visit there but 3rd to Mauritius

Overall I have to say we were less than impressed with the hotel.

The setting itself is great and the hotel buildings and pool are pleasing on the eye, the beach and sea nice, for us though, like a few other reviewers have felt, the hotel was let down by the service levels and food provided.

Welcome- We arrived on our own by Taxi but at the same time as a number of other guests from out flight. After a 20 or so minute wait, after filling out forms etc, a memebr of guest services, gave us a brief tour that included pointing us to the boathouse, sadly we later discovered the boathouse at the Awali had closed and mover a 5-10 minute walk up the beack to the C beach club about two years previously, our welcomer had obvioulsy forgotten this fact!

We were then left on our own in the hotel grounds for 5 minutes, whilst he showed another 2 couples to their rooms. Luckilly it didnt start raining or else Im not sure what we would of done! Luckilly we got to our room about 10 minutes before the heavens opened

Room- The room itself was great, we stayed in the 500s block that had a nice view of part of the gardens, with the beach and sea in the distance. If you can I would certainly choose the higher numbered rooms if you can, unless you want to be very close to the bar, or overlook what can be a noisy swimming pool area.

TV channels were pretty limited but if your a football fan/ sport you'll be well catered for with 4 sports channels and pretty much all premier league fixtures etc shown.

The only issue with the room, was that the (otherwise excellent cleaners) did not clean the banister of the balcony, which after a week was covered in bird droppings and dust. I cleaned it myself in the end!

Food/ Restaurants-

Pros- Cyan at C-Beach Club, run by the Villas part of the Heritage resort was excellent, both in food and service. Lunches at Coast were also enjoyable although the menu was limited. The chips/fries were some of the best I've ever had!

Cons-The food at Infinity blue, at least in our experience was very poor. On ordering the Fillet steak rare, I was presented with a slap of beef, that looked like it had come from the buffet, certainly not FIllet and certainly not rare.

The servers also didn't seem to have a clue what they were serving you, on asking what was included in certain meals, there was no response and indeed, they did not even know if certain dishes were served hot or cold!

They also do not have steak knives.

The pizzas were good at lunchtime, we gave up on dinner after our second visit though, choosing instead to risk the buffet

The buffet restaurant was a bit hit or miss. We loved our first night there (curry night), so much so that we made sure we went back the same night the following week, sadly this highlighted the inconcistency with the service and quality food.

The main issue with the buffet, is the lack of staff, sometimes you'd be greeted and seated immediately, sometimes you'd stand around for ages waiting for someone to get you. Drinks orders would sometimes immediately be taken, sometimes you'd have to wait 5 minutes, for the waiter/ress in that are to come to you. The staff themselves were not to blame, they just had too much to do.

The cooking policy seemed bizarred too, they never seemed to remake anything until it was gone, therefore you could have to wait for 5 minutes for something to be cooked whilst the rest of your food went cold

Back to the curry night, I went to the 'Chicken Massala' station, to get some of what I enjoyed som much last time, only on placing the chicken on my plate and asking where the delicious sauce was, I was informed there was no sauce! So the guy was basically stood there, cutting bits of roast chicken, next to the Chicken Massala sign!

The inconsistency showed up at breakfast too, after a while, once we noticed it became a running joke as to what would be missing from the table settings- If there were cups, there'd be no t-spoons, if there were t-spoons there would be no salt or pepper, if there was salt and pepper there would be no cups!

The other issue with the buffet as that they seemed to recycle the placemats, you would therefore often find bits of the previous diners dinner left over on your mat. Nice.

The last comment on the buffet is don't go near the Red Wine, or at least order a bottle of something decent if you can, the 'house red' is perhaps the worst red wine I've ever tasted.

Other food inconcistencies were when ordering the Burger with Onion rings from the snack menu, there was of course no onion rings, artichoke advertised on a pizza also never showed, not a problem in itself but you'd hope the staff may actuall acknowledge it! Again I suspect the waiters simply had no clue as to what they were serving.

Another instance was a desert coming with Guava sorbet as opposed to the yoghurt sorbet advertised, again not a huge issue but why not say?

Drinks- The bar service in the main was good, we only had one lengthy wait the whole fortnight, I don't think any 2 cocktails ever tasted the same though and indeed always seem to be presented differently!

On one occasion too whilst watching the prep of a fruit cocktail, I noticed the bar maid go to add pineapple juice, note the container was out and simply then just add more orange juice! Naturally it didn't taste much like the previous ones ordered.

The only other problem was with our in room internet, again itself not a big issue, it took 5 seperate visits to reception to solve though, with the more junior staff, seemingly not having the autonomy to arrange for the tech engineer to visit the room.

This rambling review will make me seem like a right moaner, me and my wife are far from that though and I'll end on a positive though by saying that despite all the issues we still had a very enjoyable holiday, I just hope that the hotel picks up on the obvious service flaws and inconsitencies, employs more and train its staff better and raises its game because it really could be a winning resort.

Advice- always give your drinks a good stir!
- Ask for a room in block 500+ if you want the more peaceful end of the Hotel
-Take the Telfair minibus back from the Golf Club/ Chateu if it turns up, if you're in the higher numbered rooms its actually quicker back, than from the Awali reception
- Spend some time at the C-beach club, not many folk seem to head up there, you can alays kayak down to get some drinks and the lunch service and options are good.
- Have lunch at the golf club, even if youre not golfing, its a very nice setting
- Head to the infinity Blue bar at sunset, the views can be quite spectacular

Room Tip: 500+ rooms are quiter, the lower numbers will be less peacefull but closer to the action
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Superbenj
HeritageResorts_Mgmt, Resident Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share a review on our hotel.

We would like to express our sincere gratitude for your comments and remarks on our hotel which truly helps us in our continuous improvement process.

We are sorry to read that you had a bad experience at the Infinity Blue and the the food was not up to your liking. Welcoming guest from all the corners of the world we relentlessly strive to cater for all the tastes of each of our guests but obviously this is a difficult task. It is not up to our standards to deliver poor service quality and we would like to sincerely apologise to you should you had the feeling that our service was inconsistent and poor.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcoming you again at Heritage Awali to make you experience the 5-star standards of quality for which we are praised for both locally and internationally.

Christophe Ramdiane,
Resident Manager

We look forward for welcoming you back in the Domaine de Bel Ombre .

Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

We went on our honeymoon at the Heritage Awali. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful and we were treated like royalty from the start. I especially enjoyed the water sport activities. The hotel is on the water's edge and the water is crystal clear. It's also nice to have so many restaurants to choose from for dinner, all of them very good. We also booked a catamaran cruise and a taxi with a driver to take us around the island for a day. I would highly recommend to take the all inclusive package. Food and drinks are very expensive if you have to pay for it and there are no shops nearby. All in all we were very impressed and highly recommend it.

2 Thank johan_uys3
Dear Guest,

First of all, on behalf of all the team of Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, thank you for taking time to share a review of your experience at on our hotel. We are simply delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff and service level has been up to your expectations .

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Faithfully,

LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,550 reviews
Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!