The fact that I have twice previously stayed at the Shandrani makes it difficult to be totally objective about this review however I will try to make relevant comments and them draw some direct conclusions at the end of this review
We arrive to the sound of drums and a nice cocktail which was nice and checking was easy, we did arrive at 8am following an hours transfer from the airport and although the rooms were not ready but they did provide us with towels and came to find us when the rooms were read
The hotel is lovely with 3 pools and a reasonable size stretch of beach; however the thing that surprised me was that it was a small hotel, not that if feels at all cramped but it was full when we arrived with only 192 guests, so you do see a lot of the same faces. However the saving grace is the fact you can use the C-Beach club if you like so there is no need to ever fell crowded and indeed we did not.
Rooms: We were in block 5000 with a garden terrace and direct access to the beach, there were 4 of us in the room and 2 people in the adjoining room. The rooms themselves were nice but there was a strange damp like smell that I put down to the humidity and the aircon filter, however at the end of the holiday we got a room to change in on the top floor that did not have this smell. The one thing that did let the room down was the pillows; they were thin and useless to me as I like a firm pillow, though that is personal preference.
All inclusive: At the hotel it is really simple everything is included EXCEPT some premium spirits such as Jim Beam, also there are charges for room service which I think is fair enough. Once you are out of the hotel it gets more complicated. The C-Beach club does have certain items that are included at lunch in the AI and while you eat you can drinks as well (12:30 – 2pm) however although it is not complicated I still got stung for two kids pizzas and it turns out the Sunday Lunch Buffet (which is nothing special) is also not included and that was £60 for 2 adults and 2 children. We ate in the restaurants almost every night and had no issues booking them in the 48hr beforehand time frame, there were no queues in the morning and no issues with attending more than one. However at the Chateau you do need to pay for drink including water and to be honest it was nothing special. I much preferred the Infinity Blue or Beach Club for dinner, the latter having the best atmosphere.
There are plenty of water sports to keep you entertained and I cannot recommend BABOO who does boat trips to see the dolphins enough. We hired him for a day trip for my little girl’s birthday and it was fantastic. He also brought a cake and children’s champagne. To be honest I could written another equally long review on this excellent trip. However I would just say book it, you will find his boat (also called BABOO) moored on the beach.
In summary, as one highly annoying man on holiday kept pointing out this is not a 5 star hotel but it is an excellent 4 star and for those who think it is going to be I would point out one simple measure..the price. 6 of us stayed at the Awali for 12 days for less than it cost 4 of us to stay 11 day at the Shandrani. My advice to him would be stop complaining enjoy the beauty and excellent food. If you can afford it go to the Shandrani, its bigger has more beaches and food options in the restaurants and buffet, if you don’t want to spend the extra go here you will have a great time
Change your money at the airport it is the best rate
There are taxis and shops just outside and to the left of the hotel (about 5 mins away)
Always at least half what the beach hawkers ask for
Take a change of beach clothes in your hand luggage if you are arriving in the morning
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of the unspoiled wild south of the island, Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort is the ideal place to experience authentic Mauritius and relax in harmony with nature either for just the two of you, or with the whole family. This luxury hotel combines elegance with the magic of Africa and offers high-end accommodations and an exceptional range of facilities: 18 hole golf course overlooking the ocean, two of the most beautiful well being centres of the Indian Ocean area with the Seven Colours Spa and the Umuzi Fitness Centre, a unique concept in kids' clubs and privileged access to a colonial manor house and a nature reserve. A variety of unique delights to leave you with unforgettable holidays in Mauritius. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heritage Awali Golf And Spa Resort
- Heritage Awali Golf Hotel Bel Ombre
- Heritage Hotel Bel Ombre
- Heritage Resort Bel Ombre
- Heritage Mauritius
- Heritage Golf Spa Mauritius
- Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort Mauritius/Bel Ombre