“Paradise with the Fantastic service”

Sofitel So Mauritius
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I just recently stayed at Sofitel Bel Ombré with my family and truly had the most memorable experience. We stayed in a beatific Villa that perfectly fit my family of 4. The rooms were impeccable and the beds were probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have slept in. The bathrooms were beautiful, well kept and the bathroom amenities were fantastic, not your usual hotel soap and shampoo. We were lucky enough to experience butler service during our stay and the entire butler team were extremely helpful, always checking on us and making sure we were happy and enjoying our stay in Mauritius. thank you Arshad!! They made various suggestions on things we could do in and out of the hotel. We are steps away from the beach as well and that was just perfect!! I was a bit nervous traveling with children as mine are quite young but the hotel offers Villa des Enfants with lots of things I do and there is babysitting service as well,ask for Prisca, she was the best! Food was just wonderful! 2 restaurants with complete different styles of food and a room service menu that was just as delicious! My favorite was the hearts of Palm with mustard vinaigrette...amazing!!! lastly, you can't go to this hotel without visiting the spa! I recently read its one of the too spas in 2013 from Conde Nast and it doesn't disappoint!! The treatments are varied and perfect to relax and the spa is mostly outdoors so you really feel at peace and the entire look of the spa is very serene! Next time, I will not bring my kids, every though they were welcomed. I feel it's a place to getaway to have some quiet! Lovely hotel, lovely staff!! Thank you!

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Meglo
SoMauritius_BelOmbre, General Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Bonjour,

On behalf of the team , I want to thank you and express that we are SO happy to know that you had an intense experience while spending your time at SO Mauritius. Glad to hear we were able to make it a memorable one.
We strive to ensure we provide the best holiday ever for the whole family, every single member needs to find its pleasure in the options of activities the hotel provides. It is nice to hear that our Ambassador exceeded your expectations in this sense.
Please rest assured that your comments will be shared with all of the Hotel’s Ambassadors.
Thank you so much for staying with us. We hope to see you in the near future.

Sincerely Yours,

Mr Bastien Blanc
Area Manager Indian Ocean
Sofitel So Mautitius
Bel Ombre

Write a ReviewReviews (1,305)

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have been to many places and have stayed in significant number of hotels. It was my first time in Mauritius and I enjoyed it a lot. The hotel, Sofitel So Mauritius impressed me. The service was just perfect. Staff was friendly and helpful. Especially, I would like to thank butler Kanen, for his help and attention. The atmosphere during the whole stay was amazing, the team made me feel home. I definetely wish to go back to the hotel. Thank you very much to the team for the unforgettable holiday they have made.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Yulia L

Bonjour from So Mauritius,
We are So glad to hear that you have found it to be a good choice to stay at SO Mauritius for the first time being in Mauritius and that you had an intense experience with us !
The “So Butler” service is a key attribute which gives life to the spirit of personalized service which we want our guests to experience throughout their time with us. Rest assured that we will specially address your thanks to Kanen for his kindness and dedicated attention but also the whole team for your appreciation of our dedication to provide SO tailored service.
Hope to have opportunity to meet you again at SO Mauritius!
Sincerely Yours,
Mr Bastien Blanc
Area Manager Indian Ocean
Sofitel So Mautitius
Bel Ombre

Reviewed February 7, 2013

just returned from a 10 days vacation there. I wanted to thank all the team who made me feel in paradise. Excellent food (marlin salad is a must), magic spa (nestled in greenery, very peaceful) and butler service which i had never experience at this level. (Thank you riad for all the little touches which made my days and night extra special ! The mauritius turndown with candles and an outside bath is from another world)
Basically a fab stay with excellent mauritian service

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Meraviniou
SoMauritius_BelOmbre, General Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Bonjour !

Just a short note to thank you for taking the time sharing with us your experience.
We wanted you, as all our guests, to have unforgettable moments, which you can take away with you, and can help you having positive thoughts even when back at work.

We all look forward to welcoming you again to SO Mauritius for even more SO Intense moments.

Cordially,

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I discovered this hotel by chance, a friend mentioning to me in Cannes few months ago.
The place is a real jewel. Spent 10 days being taken care of. The surrounding is so peaceful. The team even went out with me for shopping ! Thank you to pentia and arshad.
Delicious food, I especially recommend the fajata with curries ! So yummy !
The spa is fabulous by design and divine for the massages. Hot oil massage is not to miss.
The manager was present and even invited us for an aperitif and to discuss our different discoveries.
I wish we could have stayed longer... As now back home the stress is coming. Back...

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Geneva2012hb

Bonjour,

Just one recommendation : don’t come back to reality and make of SO Mauritius your second home !

The Mauritian specialties are full of flavors and always a real discovery. Nothing is better than a fresh Fajata ! Yummy indeed.

Our SO Spa is all around the concept of outside/inside, being fully open onto the garden, giving this feeling of bliss that only nature can provide, and we are glad it helped you gaining back some positive energy.

We look forward to welcoming you again to SO Mauritius for another gastronomic experience.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My Mauritius friends and I decided on a night out for dinner. This restaurant and bar is so chic, under a huge what looks like a thatched roof right on the ocean. It just so happened to be Russian New Years and the restaurant was filled with the most curious clientele, babuschka (sp?) held a whole new meaning. Then there was the most fabulous fireworks I have ever experienced.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susan G
SoMauritius_BelOmbre, General Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Greetings from all of us at SO Mauritius !

Just a short note to thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience.
Please rest assured that your comments will be shared with all of the Hotel’s Ambassadors who make our team SO special.

I look forward to welcoming you again to SO Mauritius for another SO Intense experience.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We had a reservation for 2 suites for 2 days last weekend. We were supposed to do the checkin at 14hrs but we arrived at 14h45. We have to wait for 45 mins for the delivery of the rooms which we received only one and the another one in 1 hour. No welcome drink. Staffs were like as if they dont know their work. When we get the first room, it was not clean, aircon was not doing well coffe machine was not working , no shampoo and bathing stuffs in the bathroom. It was a mess. The outside jacuzzi was horrible - extremely dirty. We have rooms near La Plage Restaurant so everytime we have to call club car where they were always late. We are supposed to have a butler but unfortunately we have not seen the butler from our arrival till departure. Is this a service that a Five star hotel offer. The room was not done till 3 pm , we had to call for room service. THIS HOTEL IS A HORROR. People should think twice before going over there. The most important thing that happened is that MAURITIAN CLIENT RECEIVED DISCRIMINATION SERVICE OVER THERE. THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DINE IN THE MAIN RESTO LE FLAMBOYANT. WE HAVE TO DINE AT LA PLAGE WHERE THERE ARE INSECTS - NO LIGHT- WE DONT KNOW WHAT WE ARE EATING. POOR MUSIC- WE DO PAY OUR BILL LIKE OTHERS SO WAT ARE THESE THINGS. AND THE AWARD EXPERIENCE THAT HAPPENED TO ME ON MY LAST LUNCH IS THAT I GOT A LONG HAIR IN MY SALMI CHICKEN WHERE THE SUPERVISOR EVEN CANT HANDLE THE PROBLEM. THE DIRECTOR MR LEBLANC WAS SITTING BACK ME, HE DONT EVEN COME TO ME TO APOLOGISE BUT DO AS IT EVERYTHING IS NORMAL. SO FRIENDS BE VERY CAUTIOUS WITH THIS HOTEL AND OF COURSE ALL THIS WILL BE SOON IN MEDIA AS I HAVE ALREADY CONTACTED THE LOCAL NEWSPAPER. MRS ROSHANALLY

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank Shehnaz R
SoMauritius_BelOmbre, General Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Bonjour Madame,

I was informed after you departure of the challenge you encountered and I am sorry we didn’t get to meet personally. Though I have been informed you met with both the Food & Beverage manager as well as the hotel manager did meet with you during your stay.

The late check-out was related to the hotel being full and being dependent on the previous guest to move out of their suites in order to proceed with the check in. We are constantly doing our best to provide the most smooth check in experience, and we apologize for the delay you encountered.

In regards to the outlets, all of them are available to all our clientele. The dinner you mentioned was the dinner included within your package which was indeed available from La Plage restaurant, though all other outlets remain open though an slight fee might apply. The day you stayed was right after the cyclone and indeed there was an increase of insects on those days in all outlets located right by the beach, and adequate treatment took place within the shortest delays.
We will contact you directly to ensure you get to experience the SO as it is known, a perfect place to relax and enjoy bespoken service.
Sincerely

Reviewed January 22, 2013

During a recent trip to Mauritius, my fiancé and I decided to take our families to spend the weekend at a hotel. After a week of research, we picked Sofitel So because of the great reviews we had read on tripadvisor. Much to our surprise, it turned out to be a really bad experience.

We had an OK welcome - for someone who frequently visits Mauritius, I was surprised at how we were greeted upon arrival. In other words, not the friendly and warm welcome one would expect. The package we booked comes with a butler. We never once saw a butler - not even a phone call.

Dinner the first night was a nightmare. We went to the dining room at 7:00 pm and our dinner arrived at 10:00. We ordered drinks and appetizers which took 1hr to arrive. The waiter was barely there to take our order so we had to ask other waiters, whenever we saw them. We were not offered water or anything to eat while we wait on our order.

The breakfast selection the following day was a disappointment- just the basics. There was not even a toaster for break and there were tons of flies around the food. While eating breakfast, we were told by a hotel staff that check out was at 11:30.

When we called to make reservations, we had told the representative at the hotel that we would be coming late on Friday and requested a late check out the following day. When we inquired about our late check out, we were told the hotel could not accomodate us even though they had confirmed at the time of booking that we would be able to stay longer. The reason: they had too many arrivals. Didn't they know that before? Or couldn't they have checked at the time of booking to know their capacity? After 2hrs spent trying to sort it out, we were told we'd get a call back to let us know if we would be able to stay. 2 hours later, still no call, we decided to go see a manager, who told us they could move us to another room but we had to wait again. Finally after another 1hr wait, our luggage was moved to another room.

Then it was already 3pm and time to leave. The water activities were booked and were about to close for the day and the room we moved into had no towels. We were told to take the towels by the pool.

This is not the kind of service I expect from this hotel. We were not treated with any respect and we never once received an apology from management. We were treated very poorly and the service was terrible. This will be my first and last visit there and I will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank MJad1

Bonjour,

I would like to sincerely apologize for Your recent experience at SO Mauritius that doesn’t reflect the level of service that has made the reputation of SO.
I was indeed disturbed to read about Your dining experience. I would like to assure You that nothing is more important to us than our guests and sincerely apologize for the hotel experience which unfortunately didn’t meet Your expectations.

We appreciate all comments that You have passed to our team during Your stay. Heads of respective departments are following very closely to ensure the most comfortable stay for our guests.
I sincerely hope that You will give us the pleasure to welcome You again to SO Mauritius and give us a chance to show the SO as it ought to be.
Looking forward to meeting You at SO Mauritius !

Cordially,

#1 of 11 in Le Morne
Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa
Shanti Maurice Resort & Spa
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Sofitel So Mauritius? Share your experiences!