“I didn't miss home!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Berlin
“I didn't miss home!”
Reviewed March 31, 2011

This place truly is a home away from home. I couldn't be happier with my stay. This hotel is still in its pre-opening stage and I was informed that their opening is in April. The staff are young and verrry friendly. They memorise your name from Day 1 and wish you using your name. This is called personalised service. My personal butler, Ravi, was always available. He set the tone of my stay right from the beginning. The staff at the restaurants went out of their way when I asked told them that I wanted to try the local Mauritian food, which was not on the menu. The chef prepared a special meal plan for me for the duration of my stay and I had different local dishes served for dinner every night. The staff at the Bar Le Takamaka were helpful too. They had good knowledge of the drinks. For lunch, La Plage is highly recommended. It is very relaxing to sit there and enjoy your meal overlooking the sea. It is on the beach with sand so you dont have to wear your slippers or come in formal clothes; very non-pretentious. I did not use the Spa or the pool although I visited them and looked very inviting.
The resort is spread across 13 hectares of land with 500 mts of beach access with natural lagoon and coral life. AWESOME! it is lush green with most of the vegetation fully grown now.
At the end of my visit, I was a bit sad to be leaving as the staff had become a part of my daily routine there. I will definitely go back and stay there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank Trav12Berlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ashton on Ribble United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2011

As I was already in Africa on business I fitted in a quick trip to Mauritius to meet with some new clients. What a wonderful experience, felt like I was on vacation and not there to do work.

Hotel was fabulous, was given the biggest suite I have ever seen. The accommodation that I had was bigger than my home in the UK.

Sea was warm and inviting, I walked out of my room and was on the beach. At meal times there was a lot to choose from, something for every ones taste.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank Chaliza
Paris, France
Reviewed January 21, 2011

We just came back from 10 days at this new hotel (10-20 January) and we really enjoyed it.

Truth be told, we were a bit disappointed on arrival: the hotel opened on December 15th and there has been a draught in Mauritius, so there was no trace of the "luxurious vegetation", but a lot of dried-out yellow patches of grass . The hotel consists of a series of bungalows set in large area. We were told upon arrival that they were still in "soft opening" mode, with only one restaurant functioning, which was never mentioned in our reservation. We asked for an upgrade but were told that it was impossible because there was no availability, although for the duration of our stay, there were hardly more than half a dozen couples staying there at the same time...

We booked a suite and asked one that was near the sea with a sea view. We got a suite convenientely near to everything (a few steps away from beach, restaurant and swimming pool, though very quiet). But from what we could see, no suite or even villa has a free frontal view of the sea.

The suites are large, luminous and cozy, with a huge confortable bed. You have free wifi in the room (althoug I never could get my laptop to work) and you also have a slow internet access on the TV. There is also a docking station for your Ipod, a tea machine, a free bottle of water everyday. There's an inside shower and an outside shower in the back, and in the front of the room (looking towards the sea) there is an outside bathtub. But you'll have to bathe in your bikini as this overlooks the common areas (though it is protected by some vegetation). There is lots of storing place in the suites.

What we liked:

- the service is excellent. Some of the staff are clearly still training but everyone, with no exception, is very polite and kind and helpful. They memorize your names and greet you everytime they see you. Every suite has a dedicated butler who comes to check with you at breakfast wether you need anything for the day. You can ask for anything, the answer will never be "no", they will always try to accomodate you, whether at the restaurant, at the beach or otherwise.

- the food is truly excellent. We had halfboard and had dinner at the same restaurant every evening (Flamboyant, the only one opened in the evening), and every dish was always delicious. During our stay thye opened the beach restaurant for lunch (it will be also open in the evenings from February on): everything's delicous there, too, and it's a really nice spot, but we found the menu to be ill-adapted to a beach restaurant, and the prices we sometimes double from the Flamboyant.

- the suites are very confortable and functional, and everything is - obviously - new

- we went to the Spa three times: it is not really located in a nice spot (not near the sea or beach), but once you lay there you don't really care anymore. We tried the Abyanga massage, which was fine, the anti-jetlag massage, which was really, really good and we recommend, and the 90 minutes facial (including hand and foot massage, face and head massage), which was also really good.

- the hotel was virtually still empty . They expect to start having more clients in march (winter holidays in France), but for us this was perfect. It was very quiet, we could always pick our table. Most of the days, we had the swimming pool to ourselves (very nice pool, not heated but the water is at least 26-28 degrees)

- the beach is very long and nice, with lots of different lying and sitting areas (long chairs, fatboys). Very nice pool and beach service. Every morning the beach was combed to remove algae, and the water was clear and warm. The sand is not pure white like in the Maldives for example, but it is nice anyway.

What we liked less:

- it's the south coast so it is windy. It can really bother you because the wind is quite strong, but it is also good because in january it gets very hot and you can sit in the sun without roasting. And also, the pool is less windy, so you can sit there if it bothers you.

- though the staff is really doing their best, it still took ages at breakfast to get your eggs or pankakes, and it often happened that they mixed up the orders. They'll have to work on that.

- it's a bit disappointing that you don't get real seaviews in the rooms.

A word on the weather in Mauritius in january: it was very hot and sunny, but there are always clouds in the sky. It rained 5-6 times while we were day, but "rain" means that it lasts for a maximum of half an hour, sometimes only for a few minutes, and then the sun comes back and with the heat everything evaporates, so it wasn't a big deal. The staff told us that the rain season starts at the end of January and the most rainy month is February. The also told us that during the warm months of their summer it is "unbearable" on the north coast because there a high tempartures with no wind.

If someone has specific questions about the hotel they can contact me.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
13 Thank elisabeth3473
Bangalore
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Best place for your honeymoon. The hotel and rooms are luxuryous and beautiful with all facilities. Beach is very clean and water is almost transperent. One cannot find such beaches in the world. The spa is also nice and soothing.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Tamassa
Tamassa
#1 of 6 in Bel Ombre

Been to Sofitel So Mauritius? Share your experiences!