“Amazing time at Porini Rhino Camp!”
Review of Porini Rhino Camp

Porini Rhino Camp
Seattle, Washington
“Amazing time at Porini Rhino Camp!”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This was our second Porini camp in our 2 week safari. When we left our first camp, Porini Amboseli, I was so sad and a bit nervous that we maybe had just had the best experience at the start of the trip...how could the other camps match the great time we had at Amboseli??

Turns out Rhino Camp could and did! Camp manager David is a dream to be with, his smile lights up a room and makes you feel so welcome. Everyone at camp was friendly, with special shout outs to Benjamin and Hesborn (sp?)!! And of course our guides, Daniel and Little John, were fantastic to spend the day with, both in terms of tracking animals and just hanging out with.

One our favorite things about spending our time in 4 different camps was getting to see the very different terrains. Rhino Camp was so different from Amboseli, so many areas of dense brush as well as wide open spaces. Was also soooo cold at night...of course we were there in the winter! Thank goodness for those amazing ponchos and the hot water bottles!

We went on two walks with Little John, Benjamin and our protection (Maasai w/ spears). On our second walk, we approached one of the watering holes (there are a few of these permanent watering areas for the herds that are allowed to pass through the Conservancy). We spent as much time looking at leeches and some other crazy aquatic bug-thing as we did watching a herd of buffalo, it was amazing! Especially lovely was watching one of the Maasai guys rescuing the honey bees that were drowning in the water. The connection with the environment is very evident throughout the Porini experience...from the reusable utensils and plates on picnics to watching an imposing man with a spear save honey bees from drowning...this is what makes traveling with Porini so amazing!

And the animals!! So many different animals all tucked in and out of the brush. On one drive, our jaws were permanently dropped as we watched every kind of animals gathering all in one spot! Seriously, rhinos, elephants, baboons, waterbuck, ostrich, gazelle, warthogs, buffalo and giraffes all in one area...it was amazing!

Room Tip: Tent Four is across from watering hole!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kim98115

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I'm so glad our first safari was spent at Rhino Camp. The camp itself was so peaceful. Only six tents and our tent number four was across from the watering hole. How fun to wake up from a nap and see zebra and giraffe! In the morning we were awoken with a tray of tea, coffee and cookies. The food was very good. We had riverside breakfast during a break in our game drive, and lunch was served at a table outdoors under the tree. Before a wonderful dinner in the "mess hall" (very charming dining area) we had drinks around the campfire. The vehicles are completely open on the sides and there's not a bad seat. Also, with Rhino Camp being the only camp at that end of the conservancy, we rarely saw another group.

I was surprised at the number and variety of the animals that we saw. So many elephants and giraffes, a large pack of wild dogs, black rhino, Southern white rhino and the very rare Northern white rhino.

A fantastic trip but it was the staff that made it extra special. As camp manager, David was the perfect host. He was always present to chat with the guests--he knew everyone's name! He had great animal encounter stories and a great laugh. This man really loves his job and it shows! Michael and Benjamin made an excellent guide team. Great driving, thorough information about the animals and their behavior, excellent spotting skills and a great senses of humor. They would stop to watch animals for as long as we wanted and never showed impatience, even when I took my hundredth picture of an elephant. (Another) Benjamin and the rest of the camp staff made as feel special and never left us wanting.

I will always cherish our time at Rhino Camp and would recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: We had tent # 4 which faced the watering hole. Great for viewing animals.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dmjordan65
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I enjoyed every bit of the trip to Porini Rhino Camp in Ole Pejeta. Our drive from Nairobi led by Naeem, one of the best drivers I have ever met and on our way we saw elephants and rainbow on the background such an amazing scene. The service that we received from the team at the camp under the stewardship of the Manager David, is out of this world, the drives led by very knowledgeable guides Daniel and Benjamin made sure that we saw the elephants and lions, that we really wanted to see, plus the Rhino Sanctuary where we saw Baraka the visually impaired Rhino and the Chimpanzee place. The terrain was not so smooth as it had rained, but can confirm that the vehicle is well maintained and up to the task. The food was so tasty never enjoyed main meal and dessert like I did and service by Hesbon & Benjamin was top notch. Breakfast at one of the camp sites near Ewaso Ngiro river. Our guides within the camp Benjamin and the others were so helpful. We kept confusing names as there are several Benjamin's and Daniel's. We danced to Maasai tunes after our walk and did abit of Javelin which was memorable. Cannot forget mentioning how strategic PRC is as you can view outside your tent animals at the water point. I salute the entire team Naeem, Chantelle, David and others who kept us engaged all the time, we even forgot that we had no TVs and radios. I say thank you to Game Watchers for making the trip so successful and the entire team of PRC you are so SPECIAL I will be back and would encourage others to VISIT thank you Matthew

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Matthew O
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Cheetahs, a male lion eating a zebra at sunrise, elephants and of course plenty of rhinos! Another wonderful Porini experience thanks to David's leadership and the skills of Benjamin guiding us and Michael driving. The Ol Pejeta reserve is absolutely huge and offers plenty of opportunities for wildlife viewing across many species. Not to be missed!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Alec B
Beds
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I have not found anywhere else - ever - that I would rate excellent in all aspects.
From the minute I stepped off the plane (after a less than ideal flight, clutching my sick bag, and being made comfortable again by Benjamin and Nicholas in such a friendly and practical way), I was starting the most wholly satisfying experience I've had on holiday.
The setting of Ol Pejeta between the Aberdares and Mount Kenya, the diverse habitat, the abundance and variety of wildlife, made it ideal for a safari. Extras like the chimp sanctuary and meeting and feeding Baraka, the blind black rhino, gave added dimension.
The camp was comfortable and well cared for, well set out, the food fresh and delicious. David and all his staff were genuinely friendly and welcoming, nothing was too much trouble, I was made to feel important and individual. Bush breakfast, sundowners, bush walk enhanced the total experience. Skilled and knowledgeable guides/spotters/drivers and a fantastic open vehicle made the game drives a joy.
The weather was great too - not too hot during the day, glorious dawns and sunsets (even a heavy evening shower enhanced the colours in the sky) . I didn't need to worry about the cooler early mornings and evenings, with ponchos in the vehicle and hot water bottle in bed - sheer bliss!
I can't recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank safarimaid
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I traveled solo to Kenya for my second safari and started off in Porini Rhino camp. Benjamin and Nicholas were my guide and spotter/driver and they really gave me an excellent game-viewing experience.

I picked Ol Pejeta and Porini Rhino camp for the rhinos specifically, and I was not disappointed. We had a very early morning spotting of the elusive black rhino, and saw 5 white rhinos, including a very young one, during a midday drive. We also visited the Rhino Sanctuary, where I met Baraka, the blind rhino ambassador who graciously let me feed him. The rhino viewing here far exceeded what I experienced in Tanzania. It helps that the guides live and work in the area every day, so they know where they are most likely to be.

Harry was the manager on duty while I was there (he roams camp to camp in that capacity) and he's a rock star. He never failed to greet me with a smile and always asking how my stay was, how the game rides were, how the food was. The folks at Porini camps are SO concerned about your experience and want to ensure that all is well. This starts from the top with the camp managers and trickles right down through all the other camp staff.

The food here is exceptional, as at other Porini camps. They do wonderful things with vegetables and pizzas, especially. I was never hungry or wanting for anything in the way of food or drink. The vehicles are stocked with a cooler of cold drinks for the longer drives. All meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner, whether in camp or out on the road, were just excellent.

The tents are well appointed and comfortable. You won't feel like you're in a tent but rather an open-air hotel room! Being situated in the conservancy gives you, as a Rhino Camp guest, practically exclusive access to the area and the wildlife. I hardly ever saw any other vehicles and we were never crowded at a sighting.

All the details are well attended to, from the game drives to the small things like the hot water bottles in bed, flannel rain ponchos in the vehicles and cookies with your coffee for the early morning wake-up call.

Thank you to Benjamin, Daniel and Harry for a wonderful experience, and Julie at Gamewatchers for flawlessly pulling this trip together for me!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank amybatt
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was our first trip to Africa and hence our first African safari experience. We feel so privileged to have found ourselves in such a perfect place! Thanks to our organisers Africa Born! The accommodation was very comfortable, without being OTT luxurious. With only 6 tents the camp is cosily intimate. All tents are tastefully located with lovely views. The staff were far better than anything you would expect in 5 star hotels. The difference is the personal service. Every member of staff knew you by name and likewise we knew them. The food was amazing! The game drives were personal and our guides, Michael and Ben were so knowledgeable. We were lucky to see so much, including rare sights such as the Grevy's zebra, Patas monkeys and African hunting dogs as well as black and white rhino, cheetah, elephant, lion etc, etc. An experience we'll never forget.

Room Tip: All tents are fantastic!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Loisaba Tented Camp
Loisaba Tented Camp
#11 of 56 in Laikipia County
Tafaria Castle and Country Lodge

Been to Porini Rhino Camp? Share your experiences!