We drove up to Serena Sweetwaters Tented Camp at Ol Pajeta Conservancy for an overnight getaway from Nairobi. What a lovely destination it was! We stayed in the new Moriani tents which were quite luxurious with private verandas overlooking a watering hole where one can sit back in safari chairs to watch giraffes, antelopes and the occasional elephant come to drink. The tents are huge and furnished in British colonial style with en suite bathrooms of tile and porcelain. The older tents have more a camping feel and less luxury, but the front row of older tents also have verandas that overlook the watering hole and the older tents in the second row are elevated to give you a fine view from each of their private balconies.
We went on a night time game drive and saw four lions stalking a herd of antelope a very short distance from our tent. We also saw jackals, hyenas, elephant and a Serval, one of Kenya's small cats.
After the game drive we had dinner and drinks in the tented bar and the tented restaurant. On our way back to our sleeping tent we found a herd of waterbuck blocking the path. No worries, they were easy to shoo away and they had no problem jumping the electric fence!
The next day we visited Jane Goodall's Sweetwaters Chimpanzee Sanctuary and the Sweetwaters Rhino Sanctuary, both located nearby within the conservancy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A sheltered oasis, clustered around a waterhole and set in the pristine calm of its own private reserve, Sweetwaters Tented Camp is in a class of its own. Abounding with wildlife, unfettered by the more rigorous strictures of the Kenyan National Parks and designed to offer a charming blend of under canvas ambiance and uncompromising luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Sweetwaters Serena Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sweetwaters Tented Camp Hotel Nanyuki
- Sweetwaters Serena Camp Kenya/Nanyuki Town