“terribly disappointing”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nanyuki Town
The Sportsman's Arms Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Nanyuki Town
Nairobi
“terribly disappointing”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We spent night there for what was supposed to be a weekend get away. We were offered a spacious room on what is supposed to be the newest wing with a pleasant view overlooking the swimming pool. when we tried the shower, water was freezing cold; two hours later and after uncountable calls to the reception, the problem had not been sorted and there was no information as to when it would be sorted or what other options were alternatives. Finally when they decided to provide an alternative room, it dimly lit, only one towel was provided and the shower trap was blocked. At breakfast next morning there were no waiters to clear the tables or replenish.......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank simon m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Rome, Italy
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed here four nights on business; my company organized a workshop at one of the hotel's conference rooms.

The service is abysmal, the staff are rude, the food is poor to say the least, the rooms are in need of a complete overhaul and the noise pollution is downright disgusting.

We were requested to pay on check-in for our stay. I refused outright! I hadn't even left the lobby to set foot in the room for one night and I was required to pay for 4 nights? We weren't running away anywhere and we had booked the conference services for 2 days to boot!! They don't allow you to put your food tab on the room bill either which seems kind of backwards!

The food choices were few and far between. Coffee was always missing at breakfast along with bread. Lunch was buffet with no variety whatsoever and was almost carelessly prepared and served. You had to beg to get drinks. On the final evening here I ordered a pot of tea and left after 45 minutes when the tea had yet to arrive. After the extremely poor service on the first night we forgot about dinner at this hotel.

The first time I tried to take a shower, the shower head came off in my hand. I called down to reception and asked for someone to come up to fix it. After half an hour I had to leave. As I was walking out I requested reception to ensure that someone did go up to fix the shower. I returned that afternoon and shower had not yet been fixed. I had to demand someone come and wait in the lobby until they did.

From Wednesday to Friday evening it was impossible to sleep without aid. There is a disco on the compound with music so loud it sounded as if it were in your room. The patrons of this disco can be heard shouting and screaming along with the music. I find this doubly unconscionable since the disco is the hotel's property and guests are paying for these rooms. The hotel management obviously does not care about guests.

There is no wifi in the rooms and the signal is poor in the conference rooms. Wifi only worked in the common areas which was terribly inconvenient.

All in all, for the price, I would say that this a rip off! Please give yourself a choice and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank WIF_13

Travelers are raving about these Nanyuki Town hotels

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We are staying after a long day of field trips and the non sound proofed club is booming, resellers are shouting outside our room and cars are hooting and alarms going off not to mention the night staff shouting at each other in the corridors. This is my absolute worst hotel experience yet! Please stay away if you know what's good for you unless your going there to club.

• Stayed July 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Sportmans in the only place in its price range in the area. The value isn't great but there's not much competition. Rooms are drab and rundown. Bathroom was okay, bed comforter and furnishings were dated. Overall, room was just basic and old. No wi-fi in the rooms. Have to go the public area to get access. It's a place to sleep; not much else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hotel is one among 2-3 options to stay in Nanyuki, as this is cheaper than other 2 good hotels ( 5 star hotel). Sportsman's Arms give different impression from outside but when you enter inside, experience is totally different.
Service is okay. Food was bad especially lunch, which is offered in buffet. Breakfast still have few option to eat. During my stay Dorman’s Coffee shop in town was best place to eat. The Hotel has a beautiful sitting area outside.
The rooms are in need of a complete makeover and the bathrooms are pretty poor with broken unit and cracked tiles.
Hotel need a proper trained staff and on top of that a good manager. One need be very careful with them as staff can cheat you. Staffs were not able to talk in English and very rude.

LOCATION: near to Nanyuki town, Nanyuki mall, Ol pageta conservancy, Mt Kenya, Mt Kenya National Park

ROOMS: normal & cottage.

SERVICE: average, in fact slightly below average.

AMENITIES: Restaurant & Bar, Disco, Swimming pool and a mini store

Pro:
• Little bit economical than other options.
• Good landscape and beautiful area.

Cons:
• Food is bad
• Untrained and rude hotel staff with poor management.
• Rooms need makeover.

Room Tip: Please try to aviod food, bar & disco at this place.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ashisdaga
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I really would not recommend The Sportsman's Arms. Not only is it sadly in need of an upgrade (our tired room had mouldy ceilings and a filthy old bathroom), the service we received was abysmal to say the least.
My husband and I were recently in Nanyuki on business. When we arrived at the "hotel", we were unsure of how many nights we would need to stay in Nanyuki and were discussing whether to book one night or three. As we were required to pay up front, the receptionist told us that we could book for three nights and then request a refund if our plans changed and we did not need to stay the full time. Based on that information, we booked 3 nights.
The next day however, after we decided we did not want to stay the extra two nights, we were told that the hotel does not give refunds. After numerous conversations with receptionists and a junior manager, we were taken into the Manager's office. We were repeatedly told that they have a no-refunds policy and that they did not believe us that we were told it would be possible. The receptionist was brought in and lied outright about our conversation with her. We asked to see their refunds policy but they refused to produce it so it became our word against theirs.
The manager and junior manager were both outright rude to us and as the conversation went on the manager got very angry and started yelling at us. We were intent on seeing the conversation through and getting our money back but he called the police to remove us from the property. All we wanted to do was for them to tell us why they were unable to refund our money! Evenutally we left without any resolution as we felt very threatened by his behaviour.
I wouldn't stay there again if someone paid me! For a much nicer place and kind staff, head to The Old House instead.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank ColHol
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 26, 2012

As a Mzungu (white Caucasian) you do not feel welcome all over Africa, for obvious reasons; but at the Sportsman's Arms you only meet discriminatory room rates (residents pay about 20% less for accommodation than non-residents). It is of course regrettable that this policy remains for many if not almost all hotels in East Africa, and for what reason?? are native people less worth than the Wazungu?? This was the second time I stayed at the Sportsman's Arms. It was just for one night but I har a good time enjoying both the restaurant and the bar, where British soldiers (not in uniform) were enjoying their off duty evening. In the morning the pool which has a sufficient size for proper swimming, was open at 7h30; the swim was a good start for the journey back to Nairobi.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends