“luxury camping is the only way to camp”

Lake Elmenteita Serena Camp
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband suggested Serena Elementaita for a 2day trip and later decided to take us there for my birthday on the last weekend of June. Now, as a rule, I DON'T CAMP. But this was nothing like camping!! It was excellent!!! The hotel had an awesome pool, great food and stunning scenery.
By far the best thing about it was the room! We got the Flamingo suite which came with a living room, 2 bathrooms, walk in closet, huge balcony and bedroom and an out of this world jacuzzi which I could simply not get get out of for hours.... not to mention the amazing direct and close up views of the lake. The room was surely exquisite. I almost didn't believe I was in Kenya :).
The food was cooked well but a small complaint I have was the thrice a day set menu. It would be good to have a small buffet at least once a day for variety. Also it can get a chilly in the evenings so difficult to dress up fancy :-). Also huge numbers of lake flies in the evening (but not in the room) which I guess is part of the camping experience. Its also quite a drive from Nairobi- actually closer to Nakuru than Naivasha.
The staff are very helpful, polite and prompt- especially with our requests and nothing was too much of a bother for them. A gentleman who supervises the dining area (sorry but for the life of me I just cannot recall his name) was very friendly and always asked us whether we were enjoying our stay.
All in all-the best birthday gift ever, the best luxury camp I've been to so far.

Room Tip: Flamingo Suite all the way!! The best room in the camp by far
3  Thank KandVaroundtheworld

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our family of 6, 2 parents and 4 nearly adult children stayed at this camp for 2 nights. this was the 3rd of our 4 camps on our safari and my least favourite. However this is really only personal preference. the camp is of a high luxurious standard and the staff friendly and welcoming and the food great. I prefer a smaller more intimate experience and this was more hotel like. Lake nukuru is rated for their flamingos or which there were not many and the rhinos which we was plenty. The camp is also much newer than the others we stayed at with a lovely pool area.

Room Tip: its a hike to room 19
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lovetotravel28120527
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

This luxury tented camp is a great place. Accomodation is luxury, people are friendly. The food, buffet style, is OK but the same as everywhere. In the evening , but not at night , the frogs can make an incredible noise.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed 2 nights at the camp and it exceeded all our expectations. We have been to other luxury camps and some were very nice, but this property is the best we've experienced. The "tents" were like 5 star luxury suites; very well appointed, amazing bathrooms, patios overlooking the lake, etc. The dining facilities and common lounge were similarly luxurious and classy, food was great and service from everyone was first rate. There was a nice pool area, away from the other common areas, which was well used by the few children there. (It was just far enough away from the lounge & dining room that we didn't hear the kids playing.) There was 1 massage therapist on the property and both my wife and I booked a service. The massages were very good. We drove to Lake Nakuru national park which was approx 30 minutes away. I had thought that we would have been closer to the game drive, but the quality of the accommodation much more than made up for it.

1  Thank pr123
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed here for a work retreat. The camps are not your average tents They are luxurious with rain shower and a bathroom the size of an average bedroom. The bedroom is huge with a nice outdoor patio.

Service is excellent and every detail is taken care of. You can always expect quality service and luxury at Serena group of hotels and this one does not disappoint.

The bush dinner was entertaining and the rest of the meals were great as well. We had enough privacy to hold our meetings. Lake Elmenteita is nearby and you can see the Flamingoes during season. At night we heard the grunting of hippos nearby as they come out to feed after dark.

Room Tip: Ask for campus numbered 1-10 if you want to be closer to the lake and get a view of the flamingoes.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Elementaita Serena is really worth a visit. Lovely setting on the shores of Lake Elementaita. Beautifully designed camp, spacious, tasteful, luxurious tents, excellent food and ever attentive service. A highly recommended get away, perfect for birding and wonderfully relaxing.

Room Tip: The Flamingo suite is absolutely stunning ... But the standard rooms are all well positioned, simil...
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We are Kenya residents and visit the Elementaita area a lot. The Serena camp was lovely - beautiful tents, good food and service, and lovely location. We will definitely go back. I took a beautiful morning horseback ride around the lake. I would say only two drawbacks. At night you can hear the traffic from the road, not a big deal, but reminds you that you are close to civilization. Second is a bigger deal. The pool is lovely and FREEZING.... (Very common in Kenya). Come on, Serena, get some solar panels and heat the pool up a bit. You can afford it and it would make it more pleasant.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
#3 of 9 in Lake Elementaita
Eagles Point Camp
Eagles Point Camp
#5 of 9 in Lake Elementaita

Been to Lake Elmenteita Serena Camp? Share your experiences!