“Wow!! just WOW!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Elementaita
The Sleeping Warrior
Reviewed October 30, 2013

It's not often you walk into a place and can't stop saying "wow! that's amazing" but that was certainly our reaction when we entered the communal areas of Sleeping Warrior. Despite the photos on the website, the view in reality is even more spectacular -it's hard to listen to the person in reception when you can't take your eyes off the view!

Dragging ourselves away from the views to our cottages, we were once again in "wow" mode. Each cottage is beautifully finished, and I could have happily sat on the verandah or relaxed on the day bed for the whole stay! The whole setup was just so lovely and the hot water was very much appreciated. It's heated by timber collected with some effort by the local men and women and it surely does its job. And from your balcony you have another perspective on that amazing view. The pool has an equally good view but unfortunately we didn't find time to just hang out there.

Someone comes down to collect you for dinner to ensure your safety - you just use the walkie-talkie provided by reception. The first evening there was a lovely fire in the open fireplace on the deck but the weather had different ideas and we were driven inside where an equally welcoming fire blazed in the hearth. It was very companionable to sit around the fire with an evening drink and chat to other guests. I loved the gorgeous blue/green soapstone bowls on the tables!!

Meals were delicious with a great variety of food. If anything there was too much for us to eat, and we felt bad when we couldn't get through it all....the cook does a great job so it feels personal if you run out of culinary puff. The staff were just so pleasant and friendly and we really enjoyed talking to Ken who served us both nights. We were so impressed by their personal motivation to work hard.

By the time you get back from dinner your bed has big fat hot water bottles in it and is lovely and warm. They're so toasty that they're generally still warm in the morning. I also liked that there is a thermos of hot water, with coffee/tea for you to drink before you go to bed or in the morning. This was a great bonus for this couple of coffee-holics.

Lawrence was our guide on our trip to Lake Nakuru National Park and unfortunately I've lost where I wrote down our driver's Kenyan name (he was a very careful driver and learning the nuances of the bush after driving in Nairobi-I know which I'd prefer to do!). Unfortunately the animals weren't being cooperative for any of the guides on that particular day, and while we saw a rhino close up, and giraffes, we decided to focus our enthusiasm on the birds....nature is just like that some days. We were delighted to see the flamingos at Lake Nakuru and also on our morning game drive on Lake Elementaita.

This is an intimate camp where the staff have a real personal engagement with the place, some having worked initially on the construction of the cottages and it shows in how they interact with the guests.

The owner/manager is such an interesting person ...very informative to chat with. It must have taken enormous vision, and attention to detail, to bring this wonderful camp to fruition.

This camp is off the beaten track, peaceful, with an amazing view, great service and beautiful rooms. Just Wow!

Room Tip: Every cottage seemed to have an amazing view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had Sleeping Warrior recommended by friends in Nairobi, and after staying a weekend, it was well worth the recommendation. Our two boys had a fabulous time with Lawrence who took them out on a 5 hour bush walk, to learn about wildlife and tribal traditions. They came back with dirt on their faces, having learnt how to make fire rubbing wood together, and carve homemade bows and arrows. They had a time of their lives whilst we relaxed with a wonderful massage. The walk inside and over the now extinct volcano crater is simply fantastic - a must-do! Also the sundowner on the savanah and the bush breakfast should not be missed (the staff invented The Tribal Olympics which we played on the Savanah with the boys, whilst impala wandered around us). The staff were very friendly and whilst the place is very romantic for couples, the staff made it a winner for families!

We are sharing this experience in taking extended family to Sleeping Warrior in December 2013.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We traveled to Kenya with E-Trips Africa who organised a fantastic honeymoon for us.

Sleeping Warrior our favorite place out of the 4 hotels/camps that we stayed at in Kenya.

From our room, The Eagle's Nest, we saw Buffalo, Zebras, some fantastic Bird Species, Silver Backed Jackals, Warthogs and our good friends the Hyrax's.

We looked a lot for Leopards which do get seen here but we didn't manage to get one.

The staff were excellent and I mean excellent.

We highly recommend this place for people who want a great time in Kenya with fantastic wildlife, scenery, great people and something different/special.

I would recommend that you request to stay in the Eagle Nest room/camp. It had an outdoor bath, was very private and a spectacular view.

The only negative was I didn't appreciate being asked for a tip on the last day of our stay and I had already put a good tip for the staff in the tip box.

Thanks to Lawson everyone at Sleeping Warrior for helping to make our honeymoon special.

Sylvia and Chris

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you are from parts of the lake Nakuro, is certainly to be preferred this elegant, sophisticated and romantic tented camp.
On top of a small hill, surrounded by trees, this complex overlooks a beautiful valley with breathtaking opportunity to relax. Just a half hour from the park, but outside of tursiti gridlock and chaos of the park.
The manager is a very nice person and polite. The rooms are builded with walls of stone and completed with a curtain. Fine furniture and perfect. Even the food is excellent, in an elegant atmosphere

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here after we became extremely lost and couldn't find our way to where we had booked! The staff were so so helpful - they sent out a guide to lead us to the hotel as it was dark and we were a little nervous, they also gave us petrol as on our longer than planned drive we ran out! The main lounge was fantastic and intimate. We loved sitting by the fire with a G&T chatting to other guests. As a resident of Kenya, I'm pretty familiar with standard hotel buffet food and dread it - as soon as I walked into this place I knew I was in for a culinary treat, and I was right, it was excellent food - a very high standard indeed. All three courses were fantastic. The room was wonderful with a huge bed and great bathroom. The veranda was lovely and the views out of this world. There is no fridge in the room but they did bring cold milk for a cup of tea in the morning. The pool was great too, although it did seem to be still under construction. We didn't do any excursions but i am sure they would have been great, if a litte expensive. Over all, i loved this place and I'd love to return. As for the comments suggesting it is overpriced, that's a tough call. I guess you pay for good service and food in this country, and I haven't encountered other hotels of similar standard that are substantially cheaper. I would certainly recommend this hotel for a beautiful weekend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This secluded camp has a gorgeous view of the sleeping warrior mountain. It is quaint and the rooms are cozy. The food is delicious and service is good (I especially liked the manager). I stayed here on a GAdventures trip and it was only one night, but I would definitely go back. Great place!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Katie F
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed here recently for two days with some friends. Absolutely beautiful place, accommodation is incredibly comfortable and yet simple enough to feel in touch with surroundings. Food was amazing, we had steaks our first night that were the best I ever had. The staff were just lovely, Lawson the Manager, has so much information and is helpful and Fred the waiter and Chege, the chef, were obliging and fun.

The location is special, deep within a conservatory area, unfortunately we had to cut our trip short and we did not get to do some of the excursions but I will return again to explore further afield.

Room Tip: Download the map, route into camp is not that clear.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends