“Breathtaking views, off the beaten track” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sleeping Warrior

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Elementaita
The Sleeping Warrior
Tampa, Florida
“Breathtaking views, off the beaten track”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Funny - one reviewer says that food portions were too small, I found that they were too big (American-sized portions), so I guess there is no pleasing everyone.

This camp is in an absolutely beautiful setting. It can be a little tricky to find, since the road is quite bumpy once you turn off the main road, and you would certainly need a 4x4 if it has been raining a lot. Yes it is pricier than some accommodation in the area, but I preferred it any day over the tourist trap hotels bordering Nakuru/Naivasha. It felt like our luxury safari had already begun, before we hit the Mara itself.

And what a view! We were in the Eagles Nest tent, perched above the camp with its own stone veranda and amazing views over to the mountain and lake. And you can roll your bed outside your tent if you fancy sleeping under the stars - a very romantic added extra.

Remember that you share your space with wild animals (and I don't just mean the cute rock hyrax who gather around while you are eating), so take heed of the managers' advice regarding wandering outside of the camp boundaries unaccompanied - always tell them where you are going and ask for advice.

Unfortunately we only stayed one night at the camp, and most of our time was spent at Nakuru, so we did not have time to explore the area around the camp itself. In hindsight we should have planned for an extra day.

The roads from the lakes to the Mara are an absolute DISGRACE once you pass Narok. You have to ask yourself where all our park fees are going ... but I still think, bad roads aside, that it was worth all the driving just to be able to see the lakes and stay in a camp like Sleeping Warrior.

Thank you also to Lawson and of course Jean Francois for hosting us at supper and providing such fascinating insight into the local dynamics and the area's history.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank senti2comun

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kampala, Kampala, Uganda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

we stayed for two nights, and enjoyed it, but left feeling it was not really good value for money. The food was very good, but portions could do with being bigger. There is no choice on the food so if you have fussy children take extra snacks. All in all it was fine, but unlikely we would go back again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

I struggled with rating the Sleeping Warrior Camp. Was the rating based upon the staff and service alone, I would easily call it excellent -- 6 stars if I could. Unfortunately, I believe the camp would need some changes or upgrades to meet the same assessment overall.

Sleeping Warrior is set in a beautiful location to the southwest of Lake Elementaita. Getting there from Nairobi takes roughly an hour longer than some of the other lodges and camps near the lake as a decent part of the route is on unpaved roads (occasionally blocked by buffalo, as happened to us). The drive is pleasant, not difficult, generally well-marked and described, and should only dissuade those on tight schedules or with very dirt-phobic cars.

The rooms are secluded and have terrific views (excepting Mawe Mbili). Both rooms we stayed in (Mawe Mbili and the Eagle's Nest) were a bit lacking in chairs, tables, or other furniture on which to place your things. Only Mawe Mbili has any outlets for charging your cameras and phones; the staff will kindly charge items in the main building for those in other rooms, but there are only 4 available outlets there, I believe, so ask early. The water was usually hot and the showers pleasant. The Eagle's Nest also has a large, hidden, outdoor bath, which could be used very romantically.

The main building has a patio that provides great views and atmosphere while dining. The food was very good, better and more consistent than most I've had in Kenya. The interior of the main building felt a bit dated with older sofas and worn tapestries. As with the appointments of the rooms, I couldn't help but feel a little TLC would have gone a long way. The biggest problem was the location of a generator just outside the main building rather than being set away from the camp with intervening sound barriers. Sleeping Warrior has such a tranquil location that it was disappointing to have the calm frequently interrupted by its loud roar.

The staff was simply terrific. The manager, Lawson, set the tone, being personable, ever-accommodating, and helpful beyond all expectations. At every turn he tried to ensure we had the best possible experience -- arranging hikes on short notice, switching us to a nicer room as soon as it opened up, sharing hilarious stories and impressions, and more. Lawson even stayed up late into the night personally fixing some car problems (refusing any reimbursement) and negotiated via phone with auto mechanics in Gilgil looking to charge us outrageous prices. I cannot recommend him enough. If I were ever to start a hospitality business, I would try to hire Lawson. The other staff members also impressed: Chef Peter, waiter Sammie, and the sous-chef/guide whose name escapes me were all amiable, helpful, and eager to make our experience a special one.

The camp is about 45 minutes away from the Nderit Gate of Nakuru NP. Some of the roads were under construction, so the travel time might come down a bit. That said, another section of the drive is on roads that few will want to drive at night, meaning you'll most likely want to leave the park well before sundown. The staff kindly lent us their Smartcard (Safari Card now?), which was very helpful.

While some aspects of the Sleeping Warrior camp were great and others were mild disappointments (many of which could easily be upgraded), the main issue with Sleeping Warrior is the value. At a price 50-200% above that of some very nice competitors in the region, I found myself uneager to return. I guess the bottom line is that if you are looking for a peaceful get-away not too far from Nairobi, and Nakuru NP is not your primary interest, the Sleeping Warrior is a decent, albeit over-priced option with world-class service.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WorldsTorrent
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

Our tour group stayed here for one night and my wife and I were put in the guest house, which contained a bedroom plus annex (not a tent, like the majority of the accommodation). The location is amazing, with both the room and the dining room looking out over conserved wilderness. We used it as a base for exploring Lake Nakuru National Park, which it is quite convenient to. While the catering is plain at best and the shower on the verandah of the guest house could prove confronting (only walled on two sides, with the other two opening to the plains of the Conservancy) our stay was really enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank dlanods
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

We stayed at Sleeping Warrior for 2 nights for our first wedding anniversary. The camp is in the Soysambu Conservancy which is in the Lake Elmentaita region. It is a few kilometers away from Naivasha and before Nakuru. So it’s not far and makes a perfect weekend getaway from Nairobi if you would like to avoid Naivasha which is too crowded and common.
The drive to Soysambu is beautiful and scenic with good roads the whole way. The camp is a few kilometers off the main road, with good well graded murram roads. However when it rains it can get muddy so a four wheel drive car is recommended.
Now more about the camp. The name Sleepin warrior comes from a hill that is shaped laterally like a warrior is sleeping/resting. Accommodation is in tented camps with hot running water in a very natural looking bathroom made out of stone and natural materials- it blends in with the surroundings. We were upgraded to the special tent/room which has a star bed and star bath- the bed can roll out so on a perfect evening you can sleep under the stars but have all the comforts of a bed. The star bath is an open air bath which staff fill with hot water upon request. It is very secluded and romantic and was just a perfect way to celebrate our anniversary
The staff are extremely welcoming and helpful. They organize sundowners and also come with you on gamedrives. We did a night gamedrive which was beautiful. The food is freshly prepared everyday and is very tasty. Nothing extremely elaborate but all simple and delicious. There are lovely views from all over the place.
I look forward to going there again soon!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shreyashah
Pays de la Loire, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

My friends have 3 children and they were given a lovely double tent with an adjoining tent for the kids. Each tent at the camp has a small enclosure of its own and is beautifully maintained, clean and simply but tastefully furnished. My double tent had a lovely hot shower and the most comfortable bed I have slept in at any tented camp or lodge! As a single woman traveller I felt very safe and well looked after and would be happy to return on my own.
There is also a guest house with spectacular views over the lake and a fabulous 'eagles nest' tent with an outside bathroom and a four poster bed that can be wheeled out onto a platform so you can sleep under the stars!
We had lunch on the small terrace and dinner inside with a log fire burning. You can also have sundowners on the terrace with a fire blazing.
The Camp offers Lakeside walks and small safari drives inside the Soysambo conservancy which we enjoyed. Our Maasai guide, Samson was very friendly and informative.
To see a greater range of animals you would have to visit Nakuru Park which is fairly close and easily doable in a day.
The food was good but there was no choice at lunch or dinner. Breakfast was plentiful and all meals were well served by polite and friendly staff. The youngest of our party was 3 years old and the staff were very patient and kind to him, bringing extra sausages when asked!

Room Tip: Couples....ask for the Eagles nest!