Wakatobi Dive Resort
Kasilapa Bay Hotel(Tomia Island)
Labore Stay(Tomea Island)
  • Beachfront
Green Tetembatu Wakatobi(Wangi Wangi Island)
Patuno Resort Wakatobi(Wangi Wangi Island)
TripAdvisor
Hotel Sinar Harapan(Tomia Island)
  • Breakfast included
Villa Nadila(Wangi Wangi Island)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe reefsfishsea lifemuck divingcamera roomgreat divingevery mealremote locationtake carebucket listjetty barbali airportbig stuffboat crewlocal staffwakatobi staffrestaurant staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 4, 2011

As we continue to explore the Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia, we have not yet found a place where we enjoy our dives as much as in Wakatobi. The overall holiday experience with and without our daughters, in the resort or in the Pelagian is without equal to this date. I could talk about the services, the dive boats, the reefs, the bungalows, the villas...attention is paid to every single detail making every journey to Wakatobi a unique and marvelous holiday year on year. We will soon be back!

Room Tip: We always love the beach bungalows between the jetty and the restaurant
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ChristianR44
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We decided to return after 5 years and were very concerned that maybe we had made the wrong choice. We definitely did not! My husband is a very keen diver and I a snorkeller and we were so well catered for. He was on a fixed dive boat and he and his buddy, a solo traveller, had their own dive guide. The resort was not full and it is usually 4x1. I had my own guide for snorkelling as the other snorkellers were happy to snorkel on their own. It made such a difference as I actually saw things which I would have missed on my own and they had their boards which they were able to write on when they spotted things. This was something new as before you just went on a dive boat and snorkelled by yourself.

The accommodation is lovely and very comfortable we even had an outside shower. I originally booked our old room but it was not available so we were moved to a better bungalow. The food is amazing and yes it is buffet style but everything comes in smallish containers and is topped up constantly with fresh. I normally hate buffets but this is something else. I probably have not eaten better anywhere else. The staff in the dining room are incredible and know all the names by the first morning and cannot do enough for you. My only complaint was that there were separate tables but when I mentioned this we got people together who wanted to join us and it was very good for the people that were travelling on their own. It was also fun to mix with other people and get chatting but if you wanted to sit on your own it was possible so best of both worlds.

Would I go back - definitely and I very rarely ever visit a resort more than once but this has everything for both of us so hopefully we will not leave it 5 years before we return again even though it is probably one of the most difficult places for us to get to.

Thank you all the staff at Wakatobi for making it such a great holiday and also to the other guests who we had such funny with especially on the pier at Happy Hour!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great just depends on how much you want to spend. Some of the garden bungalows do not have such a great position.
5  Thank Fussylady
Reviewed October 10, 2011

After two years of deliberation and with our forthcoming “Big” Anniversary in mind, my wife and I chose to celebrate it at Wakatobi. I’m so pleased we did, as each single moment in this beautiful piece of paradise was rewarding and fulfilling. Everyone in the resort and also on the Pelagian Liverboard was most helpful, friendly, keen and knowledgeable. I cannot praise them highly enough, especially our guides Ben, Kaori, Erich, and Kaz, who couldn’t have done more to enhance the diving experiences in our little group. From contact with other staff, I believe we might say the same for all of them.
I only wish we had discovered the superb house reef on our first day because it has everything anybody would ever hope to see on a reef dive, amazingly accessible and only a few minutes from our door. It was a true revelation, as indeed was everything.
We congratulate you for what has been achieved there. It has worked on all levels and from every point of view, divers and non-divers of any age. I’m asked every year to vote in the ‘Diver Magazine’ Awards. Wakatobi gets our vote for Best Dive Resort (and Pelagian the best Liveaboard) in fact it has now spoiled future dive holiday prospects for us because the diving was extremely easy and worry free due entirely to the willingness and desire to ensure our fun and satisfaction. Our combined age is 140 plus, and thanks to them we won’t be hanging up our BCD’s yet. It was not our diving “Swansong” I once considered it could be.

9  Thank oldandgold
Reviewed October 7, 2011

"I'm not sure if anything can be said that hasn't been said before,but after
7 days on the Pelagian(liveaboard) and then 10 days at the resort,Wakatobi
Resort and Liveaboard has my complete endorsement for being on
every divers "bucket list".They excel in every category!!

What makes Wakatobi different from most other dive resorts besides the
great diving,food,service,location,etc is their organization,attention to detail,commitment
to the community(they provide jobs,water,electricity,etc to the local
village),and always going beyond the call of duty.It is as if everyone working there
has an ownership interest because they all pitch in when they see something that
has or needs to be done.I credit management for setting the right environment as the
tone is set at the top!!

From the time you arrive in Bali to catch their private plane to when you return,everything
is taken care of in a very efficient, effective and friendly manner. I arrived in Bali 6 days before
my flight to the resort and figured I would be on my own since I was arriving so early.
However their local representatives met me at airport,moved me quickly thru customs
and immigration,made some other arrangements for me and I wasn't even in their VIP
program.

I have been on 15+ liveaboards and the Pelagian is in the top 2 when
it comes to diving,service,and food!! The staff does everything they can
to make your diving and onboard experience as comfortable,safe and enjoyable
as you could possibly want.In addition to everything we saw at the resort,we saw
more of the "big" stuff--sharks(white and black tips),eagle rays,devil rays,turtles,etc.

The Resort has the feel of a world class resort with it's
food,service,friendliness,organization,etc.It's as if you are part of the family.
Add the great diving and you have an unbelievable diving experience!!

As it relates to the diving,you can expect to see some of the larger stuff-turtles,sharks,rays,etc
occasionally,but the major things are the hard and soft coral,sea fans,sponges,nudibranches,
pygmy seahorses,frog fish,cuttle fish,squids,octopuses,eels,many different species of
shrimp,crabs,scorpion fish,anemone fish,pipe fish,etc and the beautiful and numerous
reef fish--shrimp gobies,dart fish,puffers,jaw fish,blennies,etc.

Another great experience is the night Fluo dive with the special light and mask filter
where you only observe those creatures with fluorescence--very educational!!

To sum it up,Wakatobi Resort and the Pelagian has just about everything that is
on a divers' bucketlist and should be on every divers' bucketlist--just an unbelievable experience!!"

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank George S
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We spent 10 days at Wakatobi last month and were concerned that the divers would get all the attention and snorkelers would be an after thought. I spoke with a representaive of their's based in Canada and he asssured me that snorkelers would have guides in the same ratio as divers (4x1). Though I did not question him when I gave my 25% deposit I re-stated the 4X1 raio which they confirmed. It turned our that on most daily outings, we could go three times/day for an hour plus but we went only twice, we were in a ratio of 2x1. We were thrilled with that arrangement.
The coral appeared 90+% health with a wide variety of fish,coral and anemones. The variety I would rate as good to very good but not great at least in comparison to a trip we took on an expedition boat, fancy live aboard, we were on in March 2010 in the same region: Bunaken, Togean and Baggai Islands. Though they claimed to have the greatest bio-diversity right in their waters that may be true for divers but based upon our two visits to the region that did not hold true for snorkelers on our snorkel outings at Wakatobi. Do not get me wrong the snorkeling was very good but after traveling about 24 flight hours plus 5-6 hours of layovers from NYC and having been to the general area in 2010 we would rate the snorkeling a 7.5 where other spots we saw in the past I might rate as 8.5.If our cabin had not been so uncomfortably warm we would rate the resort an 8.5-8.7. Let me explain.
The accommodations were more than satisfactory but we got dsuck with a bungelow with a pesky air conditioner so that 6 of 10 night it was 83-84 based on our thermometer instead of the 74, which the resort said to expect with the A/C, we experienced on the days they were able to get it working properly. Though we voiced our complain to the front desk folks were trying to avoid making it known to the two senior managers running the resort. Therefore after an afternoon snorkel we often returned to an unpleasantly hot bungelow. On the last night of our stay the General Mgr. came over to our table in the dining room and offered us a bottle of wine because as he said he had just heard of our issues with the faulty A/C. We chose to turn down the offer to make the point that a $50 bottle of wine could not make amends for the A/C issues at an all inclusive charging us about $750/day/couple in that part of the world.
The food was very well prepared and varied with both Indonesian and Western cuisine. But all meals were served buffet style, which is not our preference, and most of the entrees were only luke warm where many would normally be served much warmer if they came directly from the kitchen as individual orders and taste better. This for us was only an issue at dinner. The attitude of the staff was excellent and by the second day many knew all 50 guests names which we find a nice touch.
Considering the resort is about 800 miles off Bali in the middle of know where the resort operated very well. I should mention that my wife and other guests seemed to enjoy the spa treatments and spa staff had been professional trained.

4  Thank stank