Wakatobi Dive Resort
Labore Stay(Tomea Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe reefsfishsea lifemuck divingcamera roomgreat divingevery mealremote locationtake carebucket listjetty barbali airportbig stuffboat crewlocal staffwakatobi staffrestaurant staff
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Wakatobi is situated in Southeast Sulawesi and is a luxury diving resort like none I have ever experienced before. If you are looking for unparalled diving, fantastic service and a trip into some of the most remotely beautiful parts of the Pacific, look no further.

The dive instructors and the dive sites here have lived up to our expectations and surpassed them. The frank beauty of the corals and the multitude of sea-life in the waters around Wakatobi was just breathtaking.

I'm not sure if I'll ever get the opportunity to come back to this gorgeous little corner of the world, but I hope more divers will get the word out there that there is diving beyond your wildest dreams in a resort that is not only ecological friendly but also supportive of the local communities.

The breathtaking underwater life and the fantastic 5 star resort living take you to a level of relaxation like no other.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank melbourneblu
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We happened to find Wakatobi surfing the net in search of some extraordinary place to got for our next diving trip combined with our honeymoon: not an easy task to find a place that combines these at top level, but Wakatobi has it all!

As you arrive at Bali airport greeted by Wakatobi staff until you return you are super looked after by great staff! The journey is long, but even the said goes: "good things come to those who wait" and the journey to Waka is all worthy :-)

We stayed in a Villa (Villa 2 to be precise): no need to say anything: it was absolutely beautiful, clean and privacy perfect (which give s big "tick" for honeymooners!!) . My husband even organized a private dinner on our last night at Waka, which has been simply greatly organized by professional staff!

The food at Waka is another great experience and one of the most important points for very hungry divers ;-0!! The food varies every day, and although meals are served "buffet style" it is probably the most elegant buffet I have experienced in a diving and secluded resort so far. Italians like us know quite a lot about food and they are usually very strict on judgments, but let me tell you that every single dish at Waka is a must!!
F&B deserves a big 10+ for everyone working there ( btw: Budi was simply amazing!)

Now, the Diving (after all that is the reason why you come to Wkatobi): the corals are the best we've ever seen so far, simply untouched! Although there is not much pelagic, the underwater world is a new discover each dive: there are so many different and strange ones that every dive is a new surprise.
At wakatobi I had the best night dive so far: ss soon as we enetered the water and at just 2 m depth, we were welcomed by a curious lionfish that decided to follow us trhough the dive. The dive was breathtaking: everywhere you look there is something to see! we did not use the florescent light, but next time it needs to be tried out!!

Dive Masters: diving groups are up to 6 people max (ours never reached 6 people actually) and because each boat goes to different dive sites, you never get to meet other groups - how good this is for diving lovers! The dive masters are extremelly good and fun, our dive master, Marco was superb and his drawing skills simply amazing (ahahha, this is ironic, but his nickname has officially become the "diving Picasso :-)".

Overall: we very much appreciated the welcome cocktail organized by the management: this allowed everyone there to get to know each other and to interact with management itself: a great and rarely found touch towards the guests.

Everyone has been amazing, discreet and fun! We strongly recommend Wakatoby but bear in mind (and do not repeat our "mistake"): 5 days only at Wakatobi is not enough ;-)))

Room Tip: If you want privacy and decide to go for Villas,go for Villa 2!
2  Thank Paola B
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I travel often, and have been diving all over the world. Generally I'm more of a "city girl" and he's the avid diver. Knowing Wakatobi is more of a dedicated dive resort, I let him talk me into going, and I am sure glad I did.
The flight was a long one, and, as promised, someone from Wakatobi met us on the "far side" of customs in Bali and escorted us through customs to our English speaking taxi driver, who gave us a local cell phone and local currency (we'd paid for the currency, or course) and took us to our hotel. Two days later, the same driver took us to the airport where we met more Wakatobi staff and waited in the lounge upstairs for the flight to the resort . A few hours later, we were there. I confess the little vehicles which drove us to the boat which ferried us to Wakatobi were a bit scary looking, but, everyone was super nice and a short while later, we stepped onto Wakatobi's dock and were escorted to our villa, which was, for sure, worth the upgrade price. We had the option of doing our first dive that day, and, after a quick checkout, we got to dive Wakatob's house reef, which was better than anything I'd ever seen before.
When we signed up for our trip, the dive guide to diver ratio was 1 to 6. No one told us, but now it appears to be one to 4, as no dive guide had more than 4 guests assigned. That made the diving almost private. The dives were all amazing and I missed almost none, which is very unusual for me. I even did the night dives (also very unusual) as I didnt want to miss anything.
The food was quite good, and the deserts were a bit too good.
We tried the fluo diving, which was scary at first, but quite interesting.
Internet was slow, but it worked.
The staff was quite nice, and if we wanted to carry anything ourselves, we had to practically fight them for it (we like the exercise).
We also very much enjoyed the company of many of the other travelers we met at Wakatobi, and hope to see some again.
The last day of our trip we got to see Pelagian, and were sorry we'd not booked a stay on her. She is a beautiful ship, but I'm not sure I'm that avid a diver.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Wakatobi Villa if this is a romantic trip, otherwise the basic villas are fine.
2  Thank larysa k
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I have gone on a hundred journies,diving and non, but have never felt so cheated as this Wakatobi trip. Their internet and ads greatly exaggerate the diving,the accomodations,and the quality of food( we and some other quests suffered a bout of diarrhea). The most egregious part was the compulsive in-your-face management style which was inculcated into the staff. For example,one person after another up the chain of command tried to sell me the florescent light trip which causes the fish to glow a different color. Finally, the domineering manager came to our dinner table to "show the boys how it is done." I became so upset that I couldn't finish my meal. There are very nice and competent employees at Wakatobi but they do not make up for the other shortcomings. My advise is to spend your hard-earned money elsewhere.

17  Thank joseph g
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Pelagian Dive Report: Beware is the first thing that comes to mind. What you book and what you get are two entirely different things. Even if you confirm with Wakatobi prior to your trip that what you think you're getting and they agree to it in writing you still won't get it. For example they changed my 10 day charter (which was booked a year in advance) to two 5 day charters but assured me I wouldn't be diving the same sites as the resort even though I shared my concern that my itinerary would be compromised by having to return to the resort half way. Henrik, the vice president told me personally that wouldn't happen and it did, a full day and one half. I also made my booking because of others who told me about two of the best sites over by Buton. I am a videographer and that was my main focus doing those muck diving. I wanted to make sure I was going to dive there and again spoke to the VP and made sure he was aware of my concern - again because of the altering of my contract booking, his reply, I will contact the proper people to make sure you will dive this area. That never happened - even after several requests on board. There were others who were there specifically for the muck diving who shared my disappointment. My master suite was so overridden with mold we had to keep our door open all the time and another couple requested to have them move from their mold infested cabin to another vacant room and they gave them a real hard time and wanted them to pay for the other room. I have other issues as well but the above is the main issue. I should mention I did contact the VP on this issue and after the response "I wish I knew what to say" I have tried to communicate further and received no response. If you have any notion of going on the Pelagian then don't read any of the information they post on their website for you will be disappointed. You don't get all what they say or what you pay for. Beware!

This is the follow up:
Well folks, apparently I'm blinded by the light. According to them it's all a matter of perception. I guess I wasn't promised to dive certain sites? I guess my room didn't have mold and odor. I guess most of what I experienced in a negative way should have been looked at in a positive way like I should have said to myself "Oh so what that I spent well over 10 grand and thought I was getting certain thing and I didn't? They say others would have just been happy to have stayed at their establishment and looked at my short comings with a big happy face. Make what you will from this but I for one won't ever go there and will share with others my experience. There are tons of places to go in the region that are a heck of a lot cheaper and don't think you're getting anything high end from Wakatobi, which is suppose to be there main sell. Safe diving to all.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple