“Great Advice and Gear for Hiking the Narrows”
Review of Zion Guru

Zion Guru
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Seasonal Closing: We are going to be off the grid and will not have regular store hours through December 20th. If you are looking for Holiday reservations, our regular store hours will re-open 9am to 6pm December 21 through January 2 Holistic outfitting and guided tours in and around Zion National Park, Utah. The Right Gear for The Narrows and Beyond Zion Guru's owner, Jonathan Zambella, leads the way innovating the right gear and educational tools for hiking the Zion Narrows and Utah's myriad canyons. We outfit you with gear and information so you can have an amazing visit in Zion National Park. We are invested, inspired, and poised to help you maximize your time here. We outfit daily for the Zion Narrows, trail hiking, and self-guided canyoneering; provide custom trailhead shuttles for hiking and canyoneeing adventures; and aid in trip planning, helping you find the perfect activity for your group.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed April 21, 2018

A visit to Zion Guru is a must for anyone hiking the Narrows. Sam offered great advice and outfitted us with the proper gear, including water-proof pants, neoprene socks, canyoneering shoes, and a wooden walking stick. These are a 'must' to protect a hiker from the very cold water and are rented as a package for a reasonable price. We had to practice putting on all of the gear which is a great idea. She also showed us a helpful brief video about the hike.

Date of experience: April 2018
"wall street section"
"slot canyon"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed April 15, 2018

Rented Narrows day hike equipment from here. It is especially wonderful if you are staying at La Quinta, the comfortable hotel next door. I was doing the hike on my own and they were cheerful, helpful and encouraging. All equipment was in great condition. Discount provided as a La Quinta guest (hotel next door). There are many options for rentals in town and at Zion Visitor Center but prices are all about the same. Since I was staying at La Quinta, it was terrific to come home after a long day, drop off wet equipment and jump right in the shower!

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed February 1, 2018

Short review: We loved it! You won't regret booking your Rock Climbing and Canyoneering tours with Zion Guru.

Long review:

I was going to be in Vegas for a conference so my husband and I figured we'll hit Zion area for the weekend before (happens to be MLK weekend). We've been to Zion twice and hiked most of the famous trails already so this time we'd like to do something different. We started indoor rock climbing mid-2017 and this could be our good opportunity to do outdoor rock climbing for the first time. We've also wanted to do canyoneering for a long time since this is the activity that is advertised all over in Zion.

The tour inquiring process was done all by phone. I called four different companies and Zion Guru was the most friendly and "honest" - there were two that I could never get a hold of (always voice mail) and one was just outright careless plus a quote that was different than what was advertised on their website. The first time I called Zion Guru this nice gentleman (Chris I believe, not sure if I spelled that right) explained everything that I was asking about patiently and gave us lots of options after learning how our schedule was. Chris also made sure that I gave them all the details they need - it almost feels like it's customized to us.

We ended up booking half day rock climbing and full day canyoneering. And it's just me and my husband plus the guide. The fact that it's only our group makes me feel very comfortable. The price was exactly as what's advertised on the website and all equipments are included - everything is explained well enough and is exactly that on the website. Love it.

Paying and signing waiver for the tour were all done online. The conformation email was very clear as to what should we expect, what should be bring, etc. Our tour guide, Jonathan (the owner), called me the day before to make sure all the details are ironed out. Very easy process. Love it.

We drove from Vegas to St George and met Jonathan there for half day rock climbing. We climbed the Sticky Elevation route (3 pitches) at the Prophesy Wall. It was AWESOME. Jonathan was about the best guide that I could ask for. He explains things well, is very patient, always puts safety as the highest priority, and not to overly passionate (lol) - very comforting for first timers! Throughout the tour, he also makes sure that both of us were comfortable and capable of what we were doing the whole time. Other than rock climbing, we also did some rappelling this day - we had no problem doing rappelling first time at all!

The next day for full day canyoneering was also AWESOME. We did A LOT of rappelling and it was a lot of fun. At one point I did feel very uncomfortable (stomach ache, not anything related to the activity) and Jonathan couldn't be more patient. Jonathan was very familiar with the area and could always come up with different options to adjust the schedule if needed. Very professional.

Couldn't be happier with our experience. I was already thinking about booking the next tour with them :)

Date of experience: January 2018
2  Thank Agnes L
Reviewed January 30, 2018

My family hiked the Narrows at Zion National Park on December 31, 2017. We went to Zion Guru the evening before to pick up our gear so we could get an early start to our hike. Due to construction on the roads, we were stuck in a jam and couldn't make it to Zion Guru before 6 p.m. (the store closes at 6 p.m.). The staff were kind enough to wait for us until we arrived. They made sure the gear fit perfectly and gave us informative tips on how to navigate the Narrows. The Narrows hike itself was breathtaking. Put this on your bucket list!

Date of experience: December 2017