“Wonderful”
Review of Spotted Dog Cafe

Spotted Dog Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Spotted Dog Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 41 Restaurants in Springdale
Cuisines: American, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Scenic view, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
BOSTON
“Wonderful”
Reviewed October 6, 2006

We ate here one night while seeing Zion National Park. The food was excellent. Service excellent. It was a fairly cool night and we were sitting on the patio. The waiter lit these outdoor propane heaters and we were warm and cozy in no time. Very lovely. I would highly recommend this cute restaurant in this funky little town.

1 Thank JOGEEZER_123

Greater London, United Kingdom
“Better to go Hungry”
Reviewed October 6, 2006

This restaurant has ideas way, way above its station. A motorway services restaurant in the UK serves better food than this place. And believe me that is saying something!

I cannot see why everyone raves about this place - our hotel (the excellent Desert Pearl) said they sent all their guests there because it was the most superior option in Springdale. Maybe they just don't get out much?

The meat was tough and it had been plated ages before because of the thick glutinous skin that had formed on the sauce. The vegetables were either cooked to a pulp or were virtually raw. We could not face a dessert and the tired dreary decor began to grate.

Our waiter ended up being extremely cool towards us after it became obvious we were not enjoying ourselves and proceeded to make an embarrassing sycophantic display of service at every table that surrounded us. He got no tip.

Unfortunately there is not much in the way of dining in Springdale and there is a captured market, so poor eating establishments like this one remain in business.

Like I say, better to go hungry.

4 Thank Whinbrook
Brooklyn, NY
“Really exceptional food, service OK”
Reviewed October 2, 2006

The good news first, and it is good-- the food here was fantastic. Really wonderful, nicely prepared (and I'm a picky New Yorker), decent wine list, and a range of options. After a long day of hiking, the Spotted Dog was open to seat us a 9pm, and the meal was extremely enjoyable.

The restaurant was not crowded at this point, and I found the service to be, for the most part, attentive-- I had been worried after reading some of these reviews. I did have one issue, though, and it was a big one-- I'm deathly allergic to nuts, and I told our waiter this when I ordered. He then brought me a salad that had nuts mixed in it. Luckily I saw them, as dying would have put a damper on our vacation. What bugged me was that the waiter seemed completely unphased-- he barely apologized, didn't offer any compensation for the error (which frankly could be lawsuitville), and gave me the vague impression he thought I was being a princess for complaining. I decided not to let it ruin my night, but this really is not acceptable behavior. This is a very dangerous issue and staff should be trained to take food allergies seriously. Spotted Dog management-- if you read this, you'd do well to give your staff a sit down before someone becomes ill and you have a real mess on your hands.

Slightly off topic-- other countries (e.g. the UK) require restaurants to clearly label items on the menu that contain nuts or other common allergins. Why can't the US follow suit-- it would benefit everyone.

1 Thank amhz
USA
“I thought it was good”
Reviewed September 16, 2006

We ate here September 10th for an early dinner and there were only about 3 other couples/tables busy at the time. The meal is served with a wonderful bread that comes with butter and roasted garlic which tasted great. I had the local trout encrusted with crushed pumpkin seeds and husband had a pasta dish with pumpkin seeds. Both were very good. We had been eating in Vegas all week, and dollar for dollar this place put the Vegas restaurants to shame.

4 Thank hunterblu
Utah
“Jewel of Springdale”
Reviewed August 29, 2006

What a wonderful experience it is to go to Springdale and stay at Flanigan's Inn, then dine at the Spotted Dog Cafe. My family and I recently spent four days at this superb establishment where we were treated to the finest Springdale has to offer. We were particularly impressed with the Spotted Dog Cafe. Their breakfast and dinner menu (unfortunately for us, they do not serve lunch, yet) was impressive to the eye and a true delight to experience. The service was top of the line. We can't wait to return to this jewel of Springdale that has now become a family favorite. We would like to thank the entire staff of Flanigan's and the Spotted Dog Cafe for helping to make our vacation a truly wonderful experience! Kudos!

3 Thank tempest7775