“pay attention to details”

Zion Adventure Company
More attraction details
Owner description: Zion's Premier Adventure Outfitter and Guide Service • Narrows Rentals • Bike Rentals • Guided Canyoneering, Climbing, Biking, Backpacking, Caving • Trailhead Shuttle Service. We have fun adventures available for all ages and abilities.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 7, 2014

The staff was very helpful and friendly, especially John, the shuttle driver. He and his driving skills were worth the price of the shuttle to go to the top of the Narrows.

Pay attention to details though, as the staff didn't when we were there. We received 3 different responses to how refunds were handled for the shuttle. We had a mix-up with different information on renting the shuttle, and in the end it worked out because I persisted in asking questions. We rented shoes and walking sticks for the Narrows hike, and one member of the party's shoes broke about an hour into the 10-hour hike. The sole separated from the heel, making it painful to wear. Thankfully he had a pair of 5-fingers with him. When we told that to the clerk upon returning the gear, she just shrugged and said OK. No offer for a refund or acknowledgment that she was sorry it happened. Maybe she was finishing a long day.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I cannot say more wonderful things about the service at this company. We arrived at 3pm and were planning to hike the next day. We asked if we could take the gear early and they told us that if left before 5pm we would have to take the extra half day charge. Given that we wanted to be the first people at the Narrows we obliged. The guy working there was given us tips on the weather and asked us not to hike that day since they saw a storm coming. Thank goodness we listened because a strong storm with hail blew through and we definitely would've been caught in a flash flood. So TAKE THEIR ADVICE. We kept going back and forth on whether or not to rent given we'd have to pay extra and the guy was nice enough to tell us that if we returned them before noon (since we were hiking early) he charge us only for 1 day!! I was thrilled and so appreciative of this.

About the gear.. those who complained they are uncomfortable - you have to spend the time to get fitted. I would go later in the evening (after 4:30pm, they close at 8pm) and not the morning of so you can 1. beat the crowds 2. have the time to correctly fit yourself. My shoes weren't the most comfortable when walking on dry land when they were wet but I packed an extra pair of flip flops to change into when I got out. Don't forget to grab a trekking pole - it will literally save your life. Take the time to get fitted, ask questions and don't be a dummy when hiking in the Narrows. After all, you are hiking in a river so watch the weather!!!

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Quality equipment and fitting will make or break your experience in hiking the Narrows--as I found out. Nice people at ZAC, but the place can get busy and so you will need to be proactive in making sure your equipment fits perfectly. My situation: I hiked the Top-Down Narrows overnight with a group of friends. The boots and socks are the most important equipment. Note there are two kinds of neoprene socks. I got the thick ones and a couple hours into the hike my toes were jamming into my shoe with every stop causing a lot of pain. I did not enjoy the hike because of the bad fitting socks. Once I took the socks off and went barefoot in the 5.10 Canyoneers the pain was gone; also bring along pain killers! The next day I wore thin normal socks and could finally enjoy the hike. Save yourself the pain and consider foregoing the neoprene socks. I might lose a toenail because of the bad fit (and I got a very roomy shoe). I am glad I used their wooden stick instead of my trekking poles because I could really lean into their stick when crossing the water. 2 of my friends had bad buckles for their backpacks and their tent was not that great (poor ventilation). No problems with the pocket rocket stoves. The sleeping pad is fine but cheap. Sleeping bag was fine as was their fleece. Backpack quality was very average. For $91 over two days (sleeping bag, pad, backpack, dry sack, shoes, neoprene socks, stick, light fleece), it is pricey for equipment that is not great.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

I felt completely physically and mentally challenged - which is why I came - but never even for a moment unsafe. The varying fitness and skill levels of my group were all accommodated. Our guides took time to share the beauty of a part of Zion I had never experienced. We also had a photographer, Seth, who was awesome. Thanks Jon and Assam for a great job and I will be back. One important note. I won this experience for four in a Nevada Public Radio auction and I am truly grateful for Zion Adventure Company's commitment to the community. Thank you ZAC.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Small rental/sales company with a very knowledgeable staff.Definitely can meet all your adventure needs for rentals as well as trips. We rented our shoes and poles for the Narrows here. They rent them to you a day in advance to save you time:) Be prepared to spend time in building. After struggling to jam my foot, not to mention my children's feet into the neoprene socks to ensure proper fit, you are required to watch a very informative 8 minute video about safety and the Narrows. My best advice, go the day before and listen to their recommendations on sizing. They recommend space in the toe of shoe and sock, you WILL want it if you are hiking the Narrows:) There is another place located right next to the visitor center but we were so pleased with Zion Adventures, we will use them again:)