“The best adventure of my life! Thanks to the wonderful guides.”

Zion Adventure Company
More attraction details
Owner description: Zion's Premier Adventure Outfitter and Guide Service • Narrows Rentals • Bike Rentals • Guided Canyoneering, Climbing, Biking, Backpacking, Caving • Trailhead Shuttle Service. We have fun adventures available for all ages and abilities.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 5, 2011

My boyfriend took me on a surprise road trip to Utah for my 23rd birthday. He booked online through Zion Adventure Company's website, which was very convenient. Although we had no canyoneering experience, he signed us up for the High Adventure Day.

The night before we were set to go canyoneering, I came down with food poisoning from the nicest restaurant in town. (Stick to the local casual grub and keep away from Parallel 88!!) I was up all night sick as a dog and knew I wasn't going to be well enough for our trip. Although we cancelled the morning of, they were extremely kind and understanding. They had already been there for an hour setting up equipment for us and said it was no problem. We rescheduled for the next day and if I still wasn't feeling well they would give us a gift certificate for the FULL AMOUNT. Very generous.

We had two guides (Bill W. and Calvin L.) and five people total in our group the next day. I enjoyed having this size group -- conversation was flowing and we were all sharing this experience together. The guides were AWESOME!! They were extremely interesting and interested in you - your life, your philosophy, and above all your adventure that day. (They took pictures of the entire day and burned a CD for us when we returned to the lodge!) They were great teachers. They left the day a mystery allowing us to problem solve and discover the terrain on the spot. I hated this at first, but I realized it was to avoid paralyzing apprehension and psyching ourselves out. These guides instilled confidence and excitement in us. Truly wonderful people.

They provide everything including extra layers incase your wardrobe is lacking. The shoes you wear come with socks made out of wet suit material. Despite the smelly ride back, the footwear was surprisingly comfortable. I usually wear arch support inserts in my shoes, but my feet felt great through the whole day. Do bring sunscreen and convenient trail food like protein bars, beef jerky, and bagel sandwiches for lunch. You never get a chance to break for lunch so having something you can whip out of your pack for a quick bite is key.

It wasn't all peachy keen - the high adventure day expands your limits and if you are not utterly exhausted by nightfall then you should go back for the expert course. I can't wait to return and take the courses they offer on how to set up repels yourself!

Definitely a breathtaking experience that my boyfriend and I will never forget.

3  Thank christina_ca

Reviewed May 3, 2011

I had a bit of a dilemma when planning our family trip to Zion. Our kids are 2, 5 & 13 -- and we like to do a little more adventure, rather than seeing the sights when we travel. However -- the adventure level of a 2 year old is definitely different than a 13-year-old. Anyway, I called Zion Adventure Company for a little advice; they suggested we split up our family and do 2 1/2 day rappel trips -- 1 adult & 1 older child for each trip -- that way there would be someone to stay with the 2-yr-old and we still could squeeze in a rappel which we were REALLY hoping to do. I know it seems like a simple and obvious solution... but I was so impressed how Zion Adventure listened to what we wanted -- was really honest about what WASN'T possible -- and gave us some great suggestions on what would work for us.

How was the rappel? Beautiful. Our 5-yr-old was a superstar -- it definitely helped that our guide (Dave) was so awesome with kids. My only regret it it was too short.

Thanks Zion Adventure -- many thanks! (Oh, and we loved our CD of pictures from the day; nice touch).

2  Thank EJMinnesota
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Our family stopped in to rent shoes and water socks for a hike up Subway (bottom up). So glad we did!

We pulled the permit and got advice from the park's back country desk. After going to Zion Adventure Company, we learned that the water was too high for our youngest daughter and recent rock slides made the hike difficult. Instead, Amelia Smith (Amelia, if you are reading this, THANKS!!) made several good suggestions for alternate hikes (many of which would not have required us to rent gear from them) - none of which were on the official park maps. In fact, these guys have photocopied directions to lots of great hikes that are not on the park maps.

We ended up renting the shoes/water socks and going to Kanarra Creek and to the spring creek just outside of Kanarraville. Great local knowledge that got us off the "beaten track" and helped us to find great slot canyon hikes that worked well for our family. We returned the shoes and hit one of the other hikes Amelia suggested the following day.

2  Thank West_C0ast_Traveler
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I cannot say enough great things about this company. I'd seriously not listen to the bad reviews on here. We went with them because their prices seemed good, and they seemed legit in that they operated a giant store within Springdale Utah. We're so glad we went with them.

We used them on our first day in renting equipment to hike the narrows. I'm only 5'8" and my wife is 4'11" so they suggested using full dry suits, which was the best advice we were given. They has us watch a safety video and then helped us get geared up. The gear is completely worth the money! Walking sticks were a must, and we stayed surprisingly dry. The water was 40 degrees when we went, and we hiked for about 8 hours successfully. Hiking the Narrows is one of the coolest things you can do, and their gear made that happen for us.

We also signed up for canyoneering with them. I have to take extra precaution because of a medical condition, and they helped make adjustments towards my needs. We did a full day tour with just the two of us, and we left nice and early, and drove out to practice. We slowly learned how to properly operate the equipment, and successfully descend canyon walls.

We then moved onto a huge 150ft drop! It was incredible, this coming from someone who has always wanted to to do this. We took everything at our own pace, and learned a lot in the process. Also, a big part was down climbing, where you descend w/o ropes. It's worth noting also that at the end, I had a bit of a panic attack when we began to scale a huge steep rock face with no ropes. Thankfully, things were re-worked and I was fed a rope to assist me.

My overall point I guess is, sign up for what feels best, but know you're going to have fun no matter what. After all, the company has the word adventure in their title...

2  Thank ark18
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We used Zion Adventure Center for information about The Narrows and a few other hikes while we explored Zion. It was warm out, but I'm so glad we went with their advice for dry suits to hike the Narrows. Sarah S. was really helpful and friendly. We'd definitely use them again if we visited Zion in the future.

They sell cool t-shirts and other useful outfitting stuff.

1  Thank Catalyst_12