“Got What I Wanted!”

Zion Mountaineering School
More attraction details
Owner description: ZMS has the only AMGA Certified Rock Guide in SW Utah. We are the only Big Wall Rock Climbing school in America. All trips & Courses are Private. All Levels Beginners to Big Walls
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Took 2 days of canyoneering and learned a lot from the well skilled and patient guides. I felt very supported and had an unforgettable experience.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We spent the full day canyoneering with our guide, Mike. The two of us both being pretty fit and in our early 30s, we said we were up for anything and went with the guide's favorite of the two choices, Birch Hollow. This was an excellent choice as it was one of the most thrilling and beautiful experiences of our lives.
After setting out, we drove through beautiful Zion National Park to get to the trail head. Setting up for this adventure took a bit of effort, both driving and hiking before we were ready to head out from the trail head. But, the drive was beautiful and the hike was enjoyable.
I am very afraid of heights, I honestly didnt know if I was going to be able to get myself to rappel off of a perfectly good ledge until I finally did it. I give most of the credit for that to Mike. His friendly nature, enthusiasm, and confidence put me at ease (as much as possible) and made the whole experience really wonderful.
Because of this trip, we have taken up climbing at our local climbing gym, something I never would have had the confidence to do before. We are already planning next year's trip to Zion and you can believe we will be climbing with Zion Mountain School!!!

Reviewed July 6, 2012

We had wanted to go canyoneering for some time and I began looking for places in Zion that had courses where we could spend some time learning the proper techniques and gain the necessary experience for self guiding through the canyons.

What we found was Zion Mountain School (ZMS), everyone there was super nice and really friendly. We worked with Caleb for our 3 day course and really enjoyed spending time with him, Ethan joined us on the 3rd day where we were shadowed through Birch Hallow. Caleb has a wealth of knowledge, experience and personality.

We love Southern Utah and ZMS only added to our love for this area and being in the outdoors. I would use these guys again for guiding on climbs or canyoneering. They specialize in small groups so that people get the most out of their experience. This also keeps your group nimble enough to "play through" past the larger groups in the canyons. It also allows for a very personal experience with the guides.

I would recommend ZMS to anyone going to Zion who wants an experienced company and guides to show them the best Zion has to offer. If anyone is interested, we made a video for our climbing blog showcasing our 3 days with ZMS. Thanks again to Caleb and crew for a wonderful trip, we look forward to working with you guys again.

1  Thank juanFEDORA
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We spent two of our four days in Zion National Park with Zion Mountain School (ZMS) as our guides--first for a hike up the Narrows in the Virgin River and the second for a half-day Canyoneering experience. Caleb, a co-founder of the business, was our guide and instructor. His enthusiasm is contagious and he was extremely knowledgeable, experienced, detail-oriented and safety conscious, all things you should be looking for when you are basically trusting your life to somebody. The Narrows hike is not as extreme as the canyoneering, of course, and after taking the guided hike, I would not hesitate to do it on my own in the future. That said, Caleb enriched our experience because he knows the geology and the area and is easy to be with. It is possible to rent shoes, neoprene socks, and walking sticks from ZMS for a nominal fee. The Canyoneering adventure was much more extreme and for someone like myself with limited experience, I would never have attempted it without a guide/coach/instructor who I felt comfortable was going to do everything possible to keep me safe. I would highly recommend ZMS for any of your planned or unplanned adventures if you are Zion bound. The tours you book with them are private, which was really nice. Next time I will be booking ZMS for a full day of canyoneering and probably some rock climbing too!

Reviewed May 21, 2012

We spent the full day canyoneering with our guide, Ethan. It was a great experience and his professional and knowledge was great. It was especially nice that we were in a group by ourselves and not mixed in with other parties. At one point during the day, our group came upon another large tour group. Our entire group had made it to the base of the canyon before the first member of the large party made it. I would recommend ZMS to anyone going to Zion who wants a fun, informative and safe adventure.