Instead, it's how the company handles failure. I would have liked to say that I enjoyed the trip and that it was as wonderful as all the other reviewers have stated. However, we found ourselves on the receiving end of a substantial storm front that opened up just as the truck started to pull out. Our guide quickly brought us back to wait for the front to pass, but after 30+ minutes it was obvious that it wasn't going to clear up. However, instead of trying to push us to take the trip, the guide was honest that even if the rains broke there was a good chance we wouldn't be able to travel to the best parts. He spoke with the owner and they instead offered everyone full refunds, which were processed in < 24 hours. It’s not the memories were hoping for, but it’s the kind of business I can appreciate.